• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Male vocals

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Junior Brown

JuniorBrown_jpg[1].jpg

KikoKentaurus

Hi there! There certainly are thousands of valuable artists on the planet, but today I want to speak about one specific composition (Even though one of it's versions includes female vocals as well):

The first will be - Hillard Ensemble / Mille Regretz / Josquin: Motets & Chansons / 1987;

And the second - Profeti della Quinta / Mille Regretz / 2021

Let's just try to briefly compare this versions, both beautiful and indeed very different.
The older one kinda strikes with its distantness, detachment. It's probably either recorded in church or accordingly reverberated. Also, all of the voices (including soprano) all male in this recording. This composition doesen't include much diminutions and ornamentation, it represents really religious feeling like a deep dive into yourself.

On the other hand, we have a much more modern recording, made in a some kind of big vocal booth. It feels much more digital, and we also have our soprano part sang by woman here. As in much less reverberated space, we can hear all amazing details that sparkles and shines. Tenors vibrato amazes with its power and precision. It's much easier to study the sheet music with this performance because of clarity.

What do you think?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What do you think?

#2 is much "louder"
#1 has more background rumble noise (via headphones)

#2 in studio, each voice stereo mic'd per video, probably artificial "ambience"
#1 in the wild, microphone - maybe only a pair? (guessing)

#1 Recorded 14.-16.II.1983, Temple Church, London, by EMI (maybe)
#2 Provenance unknown

Both equally enjoyable. The performances sound the same to me.

Switching back and forth (approximately level matched) gives me no sense of one being better than the other musically.

I don't notice #1 being more distant when the volume is more closely matched.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i have no real opinions one way or another on andrew lloyd webber but here goes...

i prefer anthony warlow

Barrelhouse Solly

One of my favorite singing lesson vocalists in the sense that you can learn something from every note. This also has interesting lyrics.

Last edited:

Barrelhouse Solly

Here's the most flamboyant looking honky tonk singer. Monetized like a modern artist including tours of his house. Country chart leader in the '50s. King of the 2 minute song. Not a song writer but a master interpreter.

Barrelhouse Solly

One more Webb Pierce. It's a cover of a hit by David Houston. It's a great example of country gospel performance practice. Note the use of dynamics and minimal but tasteful ornamentation.

Barrelhouse Solly

Monster swing era trumpet player Hot Lips Page could sing more than a bit. Never got the recognition he deserved. This is my favorite version of this song.

LarsF

Tommy Körberg, I don't know if he's mention earlier, but I think he belongs here. Anthem from the musical Chess

Top Bottom