• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

thezoneC30

Because this column originally asked for subjective opinions ....
This is followup to earlier post, at which point I didn't have nearly as many hours listening and comparing systems comparing sound of my "two" systems. .

This is for 5.2 playback only, as I have no way to compare higher channel counts.
External amps involved, so main difference is one system uses exasound multichannel DAC and Audiolense, and other uses Dirac on the 30.
I switch between systems with a coleman 7.1 switch, and sync playback between systems with JRiver. No, I am not level matching (except by ear).

The differences are not always apparent, but on some two track and 4 channel material, I prefer how AL processes the bass and lower midrange. To my ears, Audiolense, pulls everything more center than Dirac, and gives you a sense of a phantom center. When using the 30 /Dirac, and turning up the volume to higher levels, I still can't get that that same cohesiveness in the center of my listening room provided with DAC/AL chain.

I prefer the AL sound because of this, and is only reason I'll keep my DAC connected.

Having said that, I happily listen to the 30 and don't feel like I'm missing that much. The 30 is also drop dead simple for playing Atmos music, where (I think) my described DSP differences mean very little, if anything, when you have music from many surround speakers.

It's the best AVR I've ever owned.
When you are listening to 2/4ch material on the C30, do you have the "Center Spread" feature enabled?

thezoneC30

Ok, so no DSU upmixing. Well I don't use Dirac at all so I'm probably not much help, but I love the way the C30 handles 2ch music in pure direct and using the DSU with center spread.

Top Bottom