• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 70s AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 65.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 79 28.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Marantz Cinema 70s home theater Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). It was kindly drop shipped by a member and costs US $1,200.
Marantz Cinema 70 Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI Dolby Atmos 8k Review.jpg

The 70s sports the new industrial design of Marantz AV products which I very much like. It looks even more attractive in this slim package. The display is not very informative but I can see it fitting the style now better than it ever did. Back panel shows a simpler layout which again, I prefer:
Marantz Cinema 70 Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI Dolby Atmos 8k Vision Review.jpg

Many of us want a compact setup to go with our flat panel TVs or alternatively serve as our main music and TV/video sound and this is all we need really.

I updated the 70s to latest firmware which took about 10 minutes but otherwise was effortless.

Marantz Cinema 70s DAC/Pre-out Measurements
As usual we start with pre-out to determine the fidelity of digital to analog conversion. Per testing of prior Denon/Marantz products I set the volume to 82.5 and managed to nicely get the 2 volt output using HDMI as a source: (all testing with the output set to "Pre-out")
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI Measurement.png

I was really hoping to see noise+distortion as expressed in SINAD to be north of 100 dB but it was not meant to be. I did try Toslink to see if that is any better:

Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Measurement.png

The "grass" in the FFT noise floor improves but SINAD remains the same. Going with what we have, the 70s lands in not so good ranking:
best budget AVR home theater review.png

Sweeping the input levels shows that optimal performance is at lower voltage although you don't gain much:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink THD vs Level Measurement.png

Multitone is at lower level so benefits from above factor:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI Multitone Measurement.png

IMD sweep though shows that more optimizations should have been done in noise and distortion front:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink IMD Measurement.png

For comparisons to measurements elsewhere, here is 50 Hz response:
Marantz Cinema 70 Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink 50 Hz Measurement.png

There is no filter selection so I was worried that we would see the very slow one from previous generation Marantz products. Fortunately they have adopted a more proper one:
Marantz Cinema 70 Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Filter Measurement.png

Out of band attenuation is very modest though which will cause pain in the wideband THD+N measurements below. Frequency response shows the appropriateness of the filter in that domain:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink frequency response Measur...png

Here is what I talked about:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI THD vs freq Measurement.png

Analyzing the spectrum of a 1 kHz tone shows that the ultrasonic energy is indeed the problem:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC HDMI FFT Measurement.png

The unit is susceptible to audio samples when it comes to jitter:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Jitter Measurement.png

Linearity is not great although better than some other AV products:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Linearity Measurement.png

Not a lot to celebrate here although if you look at the review of Marantz NR1510, you will see that it has much rougher results even though top numbers are close.

Marantz Cinema 70s Amplifier Measurements
When I test an amplifier, I first let it warm up at 5 watts into 2 channels of a 4 ohm load. I show this at the end usually since it usually is not eventful. That was not the case here:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Warm up Measurement.png

I left the amp running for a bit and was very surprised when I looked and saw that jump in distortion around 2 minutes. It also has this odd behavior in that every time you send it audio, distortion is higher and then settles down after about 7 seconds. While the amp was warm I don't expect the amplifier to go into any kind of mode to protect itself with just 10 watts of output. Note that I had ECO mode turned off (double checked). Performance before this effect clicked in was already poor. Giving up another 10 dB is just a sin. Here is the same issue in the dashboard:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Start up Measurement.png

After a minute or two you get this:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Running Measurement.png

As noted, once the AVR goes into this mode, you can't get out of it unless you power cycle the amp. Simply turned down the volume, stopping the source, etc. won't make a difference. I almost stopped here as this is just unacceptable. As a minimum it should be documented. But then I considered that the company doesn't seem to be making claims about 4 ohm ability (lowest power rating is at 6 ohm) so I decided to continue and used the better SINAD value in the rankings:
Best AVR Amplifier Reivew.png

If I use the lower number, it would literally fall of the right side of the chart!

Here is an FFT of before and after warm up:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Warm up FFT Measurement.png

FYI I could not replicate the issue at 1 and 2 watts.

Back to the dashboard, I also tested with analog input:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Measurement.png

Performance is essentially the same so I continued testing with that as that makes comparison to stand-alone amplifiers easier. But I did confirm that in Pure Direct mode, the input is NOT digitized:

Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Frequency Respons...png

I set the crossover to 80 Hz and there, if you don't go to Pure Direct, you not only get that crossover, but output gets limited to which indicates it is going through an ADC. Nice to see even in that condition the bandwidth is large seeing how you have output to almost 48 kHz making me think sampling rate of the ADC is 88/96 kHz.

Noise performance is not great at 5 watts but improves at full power:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In SNR Measurement.png

Note that you lose some of this with EQ so we really need better performance.

Multiutone shows the busy grass indicating a lot of intermodulation distortion:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Multitone Measure...png

Same with 19+20 kHz tones:

Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In 19 20 kHz Measure...png

Crosstalk could definitely be better:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Crosstalk Measure...png

We see the distortion kink in the power measurements:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Power 4 Measurement.png

Good headroom though since I am only testing two channels and there is power supply capacity for more:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Max and Peak Powe...png

Here is the 8 ohm sweep:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Power 8 Measurement.png

We beat the spec by 15%.

Sweeping frequencies doesn't impact the overall response but the "hump" behavior changes:
Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR Amplifier Analog In Power 4 vs freque...png

FYI sweeping at higher levels caused the AVR to go into protection and would not recover on its own, requiring power cycle. Gave me a scare thinking it was damaged for good!

Conclusions
On the heels of the Marantz AV10 processor review, I had my hopes high for excellent performance but that was dashed with the Cinema 70s. While there seems to be some improvement compared to prior generation, the overall picture doesn't change. DAC performance is just "OK" and amplifier rather poor. Once price goes north of $1,000 I expect better performance. The good looks are there but sadly, the rest is not.

I can't recommend the Marantz Cinema 70s. Company can and should do better.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Filter Measurement.png
    Marantz Cinema 70s Home Theater Audio Video Receiver AVR DAC Toslink Filter Measurement.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,288
Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad. I've been looking for something in this price range for my modest HT setup. Thanks Amir, for the testing, report and saving me some time.

Newman

Major Contributor
What a massive disappointment after the AV10.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, it is a big downer.

I do have a Marantz 40s in for review. Hopefully that one does better......

I forgot to add the Specifications. For AVR’s like this they are long and complicated. Far too long and complicated for a copy paste. Here is a link to their specs pages. The link is provided for the purpose of making it more accessible for our members and in no way is indicative of any commercial endorsement or sponsorship. As none exists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newman

Major Contributor
So, are Marantz listening to you, or not? ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They clearly have in some cases such as the filter change, proper 2 volt output, general cleaning of measurements, etc. We will have to test more to see how deep the changes are in the product line.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Wow such a long and complicated review. I can see you spent a lot of time on this. Thanks for the extra effort. The outcome is anticlimactic for all the work. But the review is incredibly detailed and comprehensive. Thanks for all that work Amir!

Hart

What a shame, slightly better than the previous slimline 1510 but not by much. This could be a really good product with a great application. I would love a simple slimline 5.1 or 7.1 receiver with pass throughs. Obviously they started from nearly scratch with AV-10. No energy put into the slimline series. Come on Marantz, no excuses...Start from scratch, use lauded D-class amps... I would pay double or triple this price point for something that worked. It's now a Mercedes body with the same Vega inside.

Thanks A, I was really curious about this piece, was hoping for a revamp of the internals and not just the wrapping paper.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
A couple of quick observations about this model:

--It's the newest version of what used to be the NR17xx line, with the previous model being the Marantz NR1711. They changed the front panel look for the new name Cinema Series, but the rear panel and internals show the similarities between this and the older NR17xx line.

--With these slimline designs, like with Yamaha's similar RX-S600, RX-S601, RX-S602, you're often paying more than the equivalent non-slimline receiver, just to get the smaller chassis, while getting less power output than the non-slimline model provides. So you really are paying more for less, quite literally. It's a shame, because I like the looks of the slimline models, but I'm not willing to pay more for a lesser receiver than their standard models.

SoundsGood2Me

Forum Donor
Thank You Amirm! It's amazing seeing you shame a whole engineering department.
It's obvious they're not about performance,
but when you have 100s of different coding/compatibility standards shoved down your throat
I guess this is what you get.

We passed peak "humanness" in engineering with Win7 and it's nothing but bells and whistles since.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Previous slimline NR series don't have HDAMs, not sure if the new Cenima 70 has, can anyone confirm that?

Beave

Major Contributor
Previous slimline NR series don't have HDAMs, not sure if the new Cenima 70 has, can anyone confirm that?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the amplifier section is the same as previous NR series, with the updates being the front panel (cosmetics) and the HDMI board to support Dolby Atmos.

D700

I wouldn’t waste a panther on a company with Marantz‘ heritage delivering that level of crapitude.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Just sloppy and sad to see from a company with such a heritage. Better call Saul…

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I considered the 70s when it came out but after finding out that it doesn't get Dirac support and only has the worst tier of Audyssey correction it quicky was disqualified for me. Those really poor measurements are the final nail in the coffin.
The Denon X3800h is roughly 150-200€ more expensive and has a ton more features and acceptable measurements.

Top Bottom