• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson 5909, new ANC wireless cans that advertise use of the Harman curve

RJO

From another thread, looks like Bose just released a firmware update to their APP for their new QC45, which adds EQ settings: Bass, Med, and Treble control. ;)

Coincidentally, I ordered the QC35 yesterday as I'm curious how it compares to my ML if I apply the EQ settings from Amir's excellent review.

It doesn't arrive until next week though, but I probably should've gotten the QC45 instead.

tknx

We need to also see the Dali and some of the other new entrants in this space.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From another thread, looks like Bose just released a firmware update to their APP for their new QC45, which adds EQ settings: Bass, Med, and Treble control. ;)

If it is the same effect as the 700 : https://www.reddit.com/r/bose/comments/ikqqom Wasn't enough to solve the problems I had with the 700's sound.

For the 5909, Harman could introduce the EQ UI they provide with some of their BT headphones, but at least for the N700NCM2 the maximum slope seems limited (the values you enter aren't what you get), and that wouldn't be enough to fix the treble response I think.

Reactions: RJO

MayaTlab

There were a number of issues with the first sample I tried that incited me to listen to a second sample. The former in particular had a rather asymmetric background noise between the channels, stronger on the left side, similarly to what Resolve observed here : https://forum.headphones.com/t/mark-levinson-no5909-official-thread/16701
The second sample seemed quite a good deal better in that regard. Difficult to understand why such disparity, I believe that both of them landed here in France via the distributor channel and are retail units, but what do I know.

In both cases the background noise is more elevated than I'd personally like (I had the Airpods Max nearby to compare), and very annoyingly so even when the feedback is disabled (ANC off), it's still there to a degree. The nature of the noise isn't completely benign to me as well, it isn't the sort of fairly uniform pink noise-ish woosh I get from headphones such as the Airpods, it sounds like multiple types of background noises on top of each others.

In terms of the difference between modes both behaved similarly (right ear only) :
5909A vs 5909B modes difference.jpg
I was able to measure both channels for that second sample, the difference between ANC Low and off is a bit different for each :
5909B ANC LOW vs OFF R and L.jpg
Difficult to know exactly why, it could either illustrate some form of sample variation or different coupling with my anatomy between the right and left side, this is not uncommon.

The in-ear method used is, in my opinion, not appropriate to check for R and L channel matching (except below 800Hz or so as a test of the delivered channel matching, not necessarily the manufacturing quality, as my head isn't symmetrical), so no opinion on that.

Similar trends observed under pad compression as well (overshoot).

While I probably wouldn't be particularly ecstatic about the response below 7kHz, in both cases any problem in that area was completely overshadowed by the treble response, which I found simply painful to listen to, not just merely wrong.
Similarly to previous posters I think that it would be beneficial to attempt to solve that issue.

I quite enjoyed the comfort (I mean, relative the Airpods Max I had at its side most other portable over-ears are more comfortable, that isn't a high bar to pass). Nowhere near as good as Bose's QC lineup though.

I guess that as far as I'm concerned my quest to find a pair of portable over-ears that I really enjoy isn't quite yet finished.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Damn - these headphones are so close to greatness…

I hope that David Tovissi (VP & GM Harman Luxury Audio Division) keeps his promise:

”One other thing worth mentioning about the No.5909 is that we designed them to allow for future performance upgrades to audio reproduction and ANC. This allows the headphones to keep improving like a great bottle of wine. The No.5909 can be updated as you stated through our Mark Levinson Headphone App.”

Source:
Comment on this ”marketing video”

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like marketing speak for "we know they weren't right on release" to me...
Damn - these headphones are so close to greatness…

I hope that David Tovissi (VP & GM Harman Luxury Audio Division) keeps his promise:

”One other thing worth mentioning about the No.5909 is that we designed them to allow for future performance upgrades to audio reproduction and ANC. This allows the headphones to keep improving like a great bottle of wine. The No.5909 can be updated as you stated through our Mark Levinson Headphone App.”

Source:
Comment on this ”marketing video”

theobserver

Sounds like marketing speak for "we know they weren't right on release" to me...

While I agree it does sound like typical marketing spiel, one can't deny firmware updates can make important changes to different aspects of a headphone.

ML certainly wouldn't be the first to release a not-quite-optimal product. However, for the most premium ANC headphone (read: the most expensive ANC headphone in the market today), certain things are to be expected on release date, and if not, they should be rectified/addressed pretty swiftly.

RJO

Wasn't enough to solve the problems I had with the 700's sound.
Well maybe not on your 700, but since the QC35 measured well in the review with only less filters applied then they might work better on the new QC45 (granted, of course, both QCs are somewhat similar to each other).
For the 5909, Harman could introduce the EQ UI they provide with some of their BT headphones, but at least for the N700NCM2 the maximum slope seems limited (the values you enter aren't what you get), and that wouldn't be enough to fix the treble response I think.
Now with the 5909 already closely aligned to the Harman curve and just a bit off, I wonder if a 3-band EQ (instead of 2) can do the trick as long as the third band targets closer within that upper treble. Better than nothing, I guess.

MayaTlab

Now with the 5909 already closely aligned to the Harman curve and just a bit off,

Mmm... on that matter. The question is : is your own experience, on your own head, of your own sample, actually delivering what the target is supposed to sound like ?

The blocked ear canal entrance mics that I use have pretty good positional repeatability from measurement session to measurement session, and below 1kHz the relative difference between headphones is probably quite unarguably accurate with this methodology, provided some "preflight checks" have been taken care of.
So I'm going to do what I don't really like to do and coalesce together a bunch of measurements, taken with the same mics and methodology, across different sessions during the last couple of months (these relative results have been repeated multiple times for all headphones involved below anyway, with the exception of the 5909, but since I've tried two samples with roughly similar results...).

Below three headphones equalised to Harman's target using Oratory's presets (HD650 and HD58X, dotted black traces, Airpods Max, solid black trace), vs four of Harman's HPs (unequalised), the N700NCM2, K371, 710BT (dotted red traces), and the two samples of the 5909 I tried, both with the bass curve set to "neutral", with firmware 1.5.0.4, in both ANC off (solid red traces) and ANC adaptive (solid orange traces), right channel only, normalised across an octave centred at 500Hz :

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 10.23.42.png

Please only look at the relative differences between the headphones, the mics weren't compensated.

The HD58X and HD650 are open dynamics that tend to translate well from fixtures to individuals and between individuals.
The APM's feedback mechanism and decent sample variation makes them a pretty good translator between my experience with in-ear mics and ear simulator results.
You can use these three headphones as a good approximation of what the Harman target is supposed to measure like with these uncompensated mics and this method.

The way I personally experienced these two samples of the 5909 doesn't seem to be any closer in that range to the Harman target than the other Harman HPs I've tried so far.

I'd be quite interested in learning what other people's actual experience is like. It might be different, or not, no idea.

I wonder if a 3-band EQ (instead of 2) can do the trick as long as the third band targets closer within that upper treble. Better than nothing, I guess.

I believe that the treble issues would require a set of narrower filters to be effectively solved. Besides, treble is a range where individuals may have quite a different experience of the same pair of headphones (the frequency of the peaks may be different), so it isn't trivial to adjust with EQ.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mmm... on that matter. The question is : is your own experience, on your own head, of your own sample, actually delivering what the target is supposed to sound like ?

The blocked ear canal entrance mics that I use have pretty good positional repeatability from measurement session to measurement session, and below 1kHz the relative difference between headphones is probably quite unarguably accurate with this methodology, provided some "preflight checks" have been taken care of.
So I'm going to do what I don't really like to do and coalesce together a bunch of measurements, taken with the same mics and methodology, across different sessions during the last couple of months (these relative results have been repeated multiple times for all headphones involved below anyway, with the exception of the 5909, but since I've tried two samples with roughly similar results...).

Below three headphones equalised to Harman's target using Oratory's presets (HD650 and HD58X, dotted black traces, Airpods Max, solid black trace), vs four of Harman's HPs (unequalised), the N700NCM2, K371, 710BT (dotted red traces), and the two samples of the 5909 I tried, both with the bass curve set to "neutral", with firmware 1.5.0.4, in both ANC off (solid red traces) and ANC adaptive (solid orange traces), right channel only, normalised across an octave centred at 500Hz :

View attachment 187402

Please only look at the relative differences between the headphones, the mics weren't compensated.

The HD58X and HD650 are open dynamics that tend to translate well from fixtures to individuals and between individuals.
The APM's feedback mechanism and decent sample variation makes them a pretty good translator between my experience with in-ear mics and ear simulator results.
You can use these three headphones as a good approximation of what the Harman target is supposed to measure like with these uncompensated mics and this method.

The way I personally experienced these two samples of the 5909 doesn't seem to be any closer in that range to the Harman target than the other Harman HPs I've tried so far.

I'd be quite interested in learning what other people's actual experience is like. It might be different, or not, no idea.

I believe that the treble issues would require a set of narrower filters to be effectively solved. Besides, treble is a range where individuals may have quite a different experience of the same pair of headphones (the frequency of the peaks may be different), so it isn't trivial to adjust with EQ.
Every picture tells a story there. Very interesting, especially the 5909 (on) vs the good ol' Senns.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you're referring to the first two graphs of that post : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-the-harman-curve.29633/page-4#post-1087051
As mentioned I really strongly advise not comparing the relative results of the 5909 and 650 above 7kHz, and to a lesser extent above 1-2kHz :D.
Nope- just didnt read the graph right and hadnt clocked on the quoted post it stopped at 1k. Still very interesting the uniformity of the Senns vs the uneven of the 5909- BELOW 1KHZ ;-)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that while I can’t pinpoint to the exact cause(s ?) of the disparities between Resolve’s and SoundstageSolo’s results, I can, to a limited extent, reproduce the trends observed between their measurements - even with the latest firmware, and with a single sample. That may be helpful for more knowledgeable people to start providing a more thorough explanation.

So, I went to have a listen. I was offered coffee and invited to sit in a worn out chair in a room full of old vinyls. God I hate these boutiques.

The sample they had came from Mark Levinson’s distributor here and freshly arrived. The pads were brand new (not ideal). Turns out the firmware wasn’t up to date, I updated it myself to 1.5.0.4.

I had mixed expectations, but to be frank after no more than a minute I knew that something was quite a bit off, and that trying to enjoy myself listening to them wasn’t going to be particularly fruitful, so I took out the in-ear mics and started sweeping away.

From now on it’s all boring graphs. Sorry for the dump. I promise I’m much funnier at parties.

Some notes about the in-ear mics :
  • They’re blocked ear canal entrance mics.
  • The absolute values are incorrect. I didn’t bother to compensate the levels as I occasionally do, but I’ve often compared these mics with a UMIK-1 in near-field conditions against a speaker and it’s not that off either. Also, the mics aren’t calibrated : the absolute values on the y axis are meaningless.
  • You shouldn’t compare the absolute values with results obtained from ear simulators (at the DRP), only the relative results between traces from the same sample on the same system (the sample I listen to with my in-ear mics on my own head, and the other samples on ear simulators).
  • Relative results between headphones with blocked ear canal entrance mics may not be perfectly accurate in the 2-3kHz region and above 7kHz in particular. Don’t use these graphs outside of this post’s context.
  • These results are only illustrating my own experience, with the sample I listened to, on my own head. Using the same sample, mics and method on your own head may yield more or less different results.
  • I was in a rush. I usually prefer to repeat measurements several times and avoid measuring brand new pads. This in contrast was a quick and dirty job.
So, squiggles.

* The relative difference between some of the various modes available *

View attachment 186109

Right channel only, as they naturally sit on my head, blue trace ANC off, solid red traces ANC low or high, dotted red trace ANC adaptive, all wirelessly. Averages of 3 individual seatings, normalised at 3.15Khz (that value lands in a part of the spectrum where the SPL is less affected by position / pad compression and above the effects of the active filtering). Absolute values incorrect, only look at the relative values please.

I’ve elected to include the results above 7kHz but I repeat : please take them with a pinch of salt, I have reservations about this type of mics above that frequency. See that peak at 9700Hz or so ? Well in reality it might be located at a slightly different frequency for example. Its magnitude might also be quite different relative to other headphones than what these mics would show. Above that frequency, with these mics, it doesn’t really make sense to talk about “peaks” or “dips”.

I didn't test them in fully passive (wired, powered off) mode.

While I don’t think that we’re facing a feedback mechanism that needs a broader signal to properly work, like on the AirPods Pro and Max when ANC is turned off, or on the Airpods 3, given that the individual traces were quite consistent with low seatings to seatings variation, I’d still prefer to have these results confirmed with measurements using noise as a signal, as I believe that it’s generally good practice for headphones with a feedback mechanism. That wasn’t done (not enough time).

The shape of the ANC off trace, below 100-120Hz, might make you think that I’m not getting the same seal quality that you’d see on the sort of ear simulators that have been used so far to test them. We’ll see later on that, while to a moderate degree that might be the case (even though I couldn’t pinpoint to any obvious source of leakage when wearing them), even with a lot of pad compression, the bass levels when ANC is turned off never aligned with the ANC on results.

Now, let’s move on to where it gets interesting.

* Behaviour under pad compression *

A few notes first :
  • Measuring frequency response under varying degrees of pad compression affects several variables at the same time (volume of air in the front volume, foam compression, the pad's side walls deforming, etc.). Therefore it can’t be used on its own to determine the exact cause of a phenomenon for someone like me, but can provide some clues to more knowledgeable people who would then be able to test each of these variables in isolation if possible or derive hypotheses. So think of it as a test that points towards directions for further investigation, not the cause in itself of the phenomena you obverse.
  • I manually applied varying degrees of pad compression while running sweeps. Because of that method, the traces can be quite a bit noisy at lower frequencies. So I won’t show data below 70Hz.
  • It isn’t possible to compress the pads by a precise amount each time. So what I tend to do is take a lot of individual measurements (north of 20) and then select 4-5 representative traces out of the total.
  • A corollary of that caveat is that the way to read these graphs is to avoid looking at the magnitude (dB), but rather focus on trends / directions, the shape of the traces, and the relative changes in SPL for different parts of the spectrum.
  • These are individual traces, not normalised, without averaging.
Let’s start with a long detour. We’ll circle back to the ML5909 eventually.

As a primer, that’s typically how a fully open, passive dynamic (HD650) behaves under varying degrees of pad compression :

View attachment 186110

The blue trace is how they perform when they naturally sit on my head. The red traces show increasing levels of pad compression.
@solderdude has published an interesting article on earpads where you’ll find plenty of compression traces, including for the HD650 :

A better way (for what follows) to represent these results, I think, is to compensate the blue trace to a flat line at 0, and only show the difference between it and the red traces :

View attachment 186111

If the lines stay flat, it means that the sound colouration / balance doesn't change as the pads are compressed, only the SPL rises.
These fully open dynamic headphones are quite constant below 3kHz or so in my limited experience.

A typical closed front volume / closed back like the K371 may show less linearity as the SPL rises under pad compression, but for this model it’s still quite linear below 3kHz, as long as you have a good seal (which I had for the blue trace) :

View attachment 186112

Now, this is how two ANC headphones (Bose QC45, Sony H910N) behave in ANC off or passive (wired) modes :

View attachment 186114View attachment 186115

These two ANC headphones seem to have been designed in quite a similar way. There seems to be a null point where variation in pad compression doesn’t change the SPL much (around 1.5kHz, black arrow). Below that point the variation in SPL is quite smooth. Above that point the variation is quite wild. This is not the case for all ANC headphones when ANC is turned off or in passive mode, but I suspect that in particular all Bose ANC HPs stick to that approach quite religiously.

In both cases the raw measurements when ANC is turned off are quite poor.

What happens when you engage the ANC ? Well, the feedback mechanism springs into action :

View attachment 186116View attachment 186117

I think that it tries to deliver an exact dB value at your eardrum for a specific input value. As you can see, in the range where it operates, it nullifies (in the case of the QC45) or at least makes more linear (H910N) the variation in SPL, and delivers a more or less constant SPL, regardless of the amount of pad compression that’s going on.

You might have noticed that the QC45 successfully maintained the SPL constant up to the “null point” mentioned above (which I guess, in the case of Bose headphones, is located very deliberately right above where the feedback range stops). This means that, when ANC is engaged, it can basically deliver a constant response up to 1-1.5kHz. On the other hand the H910N’s feedback mechanism seems to stop operating at around 500Hz.

And here’s the rather interesting bit for the H910N : in the range above where the feedback mechanism stops operating, but below 1.5kHz or so, when ANC is engaged, a similar amount of pad compression (which you can determine by matching the compression traces above 1.5kHz) results in more SPL than when ANC is off, as if the active filtering was amplifying the effect of the compression, instead of reducing it :

View attachment 186118

This overshoot does not occur with the QC45 :

View attachment 186119

* So, how does the Mark Levinson 5909 behave - at least the sample I tried, on my head - under pad compression ? *

When ANC is turned off (wireless) :

View attachment 186120

It seems to behave more like the K371 than the QC45 and H910N. Perhaps as a by-product of the intent to have them perform well when used passively ?
You can also see that seal was only a minor issue.

When ANC is turned on, in the “low” mode (I didn’t have the time to check the other modes) :

View attachment 186121

I think you’re starting to see something that should already look familiar :

View attachment 186122

Now, we’re going to do a bit of Room EQ Wizard trace arithmetics acrobatics so please bear with me.

Let’s divide the ANC on results with the ANC off results, for either no compression (blue), or two matched (between ANC on and off, above 1.5kHz) pairs of compression traces (red) :

View attachment 186123

I normalised the traces at 4kHz as this is where the SPL varies the least with pad compression, and far above the range where active filtering occurs.

If there were no difference between the ANC on and off results, you’d see a flat line at zero.

That isn’t the case (cf first graph, even without pad compression), and you can see that as pad compression rises, the difference between the modes increases, following a certain trend :
  • In the 150-600Hz region, as pad compression increases, ANC on reduces SPL relative to ANC off.
  • In the 600-1500Hz region, as pad compression increases, ANC on increases the SPL relative to ANC off. In other words, the more the compression, the more the overshoot.
Now let’s take a look at Resolve and SoundstageSolo’s measurements, both performed, unless I’m mistaken, on the same ear simulator (GRAS 43AG + KB5000 pinna) :

View attachment 186125

Resolve’s in fancy fuchsia, Brent’s in fashionable turquoise. Solid lines either “passive” (Resolve) or ANC off (SoundstageSolo). Dotted lines ANC “high” (SoundstageSolo, similar FR for me as “low”), or ANC unknown (Resolve).

Plotting the difference between ANC on and ANC off for each set of measurements :

View attachment 186126

This isn’t a perfect match for the trends observed under increasing degrees of pad compression seen above, but I think that there might be something there. Among other factors (it’s entirely possible the firmware update did indeed affect the results), are we also seeing the effect of varying degrees of pad compression here - or at minima a different “value”, between Resolve and SoundstageSolo's tests, for at least one of the variables that are affected by pad compression ?

Besides, the difference between their measurements above 1.5kHz, ie above the range where active filtering occurs, seems to also share a fairly similar shape and trends to the ones I obtain when I increase pad compression, even when we’re dealing with totally different systems (ear simulators measuring at DRP with a flat plate around the pinna, vs. my own anatomy and blocked ear canal entrance mics). Which, theoretically we shouldn’t compare, particularly at higher frequencies, but let’s be unreasonable for a while :

View attachment 186128

If I divide my own results between the traces with the maximum amount of compression and the traces as they sit on my head, for both ANC off and ANC on, normalised at 4kHz, and compare the results with the ones obtained by dividing SoundstageSolo’s results by Resolve’s, we get this :

View attachment 186129View attachment 186130

I’m probably really stretching it here I think. But is the trend towards a broad elevation around 6-8kHz, and the rather similar shape (albeit with frequencies offset a little bit) merely a coincidence, or indeed caused by one of the variables affected by pad compression ?
I would be surprised that this range would have been affected by the 1.5.0.4 firmware update, and let’s remember that both SoundstageSolo and Resolve used the same pinna.

So, to sum it up, while the 1.5.0.4 firmware update may have reduced the disparities between the various modes, it could also be that some of the difference observed between Resolve's and SoundstageSolo's results is the product of at least one of the variables affected by pad compression being different between their respective tests.

Given the design of the GRAS 43AG rig, it might simply be a question of different levels of pad compression during testing indeed, but I wouldn’t directly go to that conclusion without further details, and I've never manipulated such a fixture.

How I personally experienced them in terms of consistency between modes seems to be an in-between hybrid with some unique characteristics (here using the same data I used for the first graph in this post, without pad compression) :

View attachment 186131

As I wrote, pad compression merely is a proxy to test for several variables at the same time, so it’s difficult to know exactly why in my case I get these results. It might be the case, for example, that even with a similar amount of pad compression, the front volume of a pair of headphones may vary slightly between ear simulators and individuals because of geometry around the pinna. And perhaps we can't rule out sample variation. Or the pads' age. Etc.

This is why I don’t think that some of these measurements are “wrong”. Maybe they just simply illustrate the sort of variability we can expect between ear simulators and individuals or between individuals ?

And perhaps also tell us how mindbogglingly difficult it might be to design a pair of ANC over-ears ?
Excellent...
Such post should have a special exemption for allowing it to be "liked" multiple times by one person! Since the forum doesn't have (perhaps shouldn't :D)
1000 "Like"

Asking now for something frowned upon here.. How did it sound? To you?
peace
:D

MayaTlab

Asking now for something frowned upon here.. How did it sound? To you?

I found the treble response to be, quite frankly, unbearable, in the sense that I'd rather not listen to any music than to listen to it with these headphones. That would be problem n°1 for me, and it overshadows by quite a margin any other, more moderate problem (BT implementation artefacts at high frequencies - with AAC, from iDevices -, which is weird as other Harman BT HPs I've tried so far were better behaved in that regard, background noise - even when ANC is turned off -, response below 7kHz not quite optimal either in ANC off or on modes).

theobserver

With all due respect to MayaTlab's findings—and he's certainly taken the time to come to, and convey, his very interesting findings—, I can't help but feel there's a fair share of speculation with so many variables to take into account.

I'd like to see more measurements in a more controlled environment, using professional equipment. Needless to say, I'd very much appreciate seeing some updated measurements by Sean Olive, preferably with a retail unit with the latest FW update.

MayaTlab

I'd like to see more measurements in a more controlled environment, using professional equipment.

I would certainly like to see seal / compression tests becoming more common on ear simulators in general, and some of the trends observed for the 5909 replicated on such fixture.

If anyone knows something about the interaction between acoustic designs and feedback mechanisms, please do chime in. I'd love to learn more about what could cause the "overshoot" observed for the 5909 and H910N, for example.

theobserver

Two days ago I received the 5909. I've probably used them for about 8 hours by now, mostly in BT mode (ANC off). I have a 30-day return window, though if sent back, I'd have to cover return shipping costs. I still felt I had to try this very promising headphone. I will admit I had some reservations about placing an order after seeing some of the graphs posted elsewhere, and reading some of the comments here and on Head-fi which caused my initial enthusiasm to start to wane rather quickly.

Long story short, I will be keeping my pair, that much was clear before the end of my first long listening session on Monday.

The good.

The three key aspects: a) excellent sound both in BT and passive modes, b) an exceedingly comfortable headphone that can be used for hours on end, and c) good enough ANC for travelling purposes.

I did notice a treble spike but one that, to my ears, is not offensive, actually more than bearable. I was rather concerned the spike would be in the sibilance region but I'm happy to report that it is not, it's higher up. On the whole this headphone sounds surprisingly wonderful, actually.

Three things that stood out regarding the sound: a) Timbre quality. I've not heard a BT headphone that sounds as non-BT as the 5909; all other BT headphones I've heard—and I've heard quite a few of the more expensive offerings—always had some issues rendering instruments properly, particularly in the upper registers. b) Head-stage is, once again, surprisingly good, very open-back-type. And c) No discernible, or extremely low, distortion. Sound, for a BT headphone or otherwise, is very, very clean.

Add to that a very thoughtful assortment of included accessories, with a well-designed and very good quality travel case.

The not so good.

The on-head detection is a bit hit and miss – sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, and when it does, it's quite slow as you tend to think it's not working because it takes so long to pause the music (a few seconds!, though not as long to resume playback).

A premium product like this must offer many more than 16 volume steps (like several other much cheaper headphones), at least in iOS devices and Macs. With older masters (before the 1990s) 16 steps isn't such big deal, but with many recordings made in the last 30 years or so a single step can either be too loud or too quiet.

ANC not quite on the level of Bose, Sony or the more recent AirPods Max, but good enough, at least for me.

The 5909 is rather big, as is the travel case. Nothing beats the QC35 or Sony offerings in terms of travel convenience. That said, for me personally, I'd take the 5909 on trips over the others, without a shadow of a doubt, if only because of the excellent sound, great comfort, and more than good enough ANC.

Not sold on the looks and design, to be honest, but I fully understand ML going for a more tried and tested classic design than trying to re-invent the wheel (the fairly cool-looking Bose NC700 proved rather uncomfortable after an hour or so, as did, for me, the pretty modern design of the AirPods Max).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still at a loss as to how someone thought that making these look like the "serious" gaming headsets aimed at teens was a good idea.

theobserver

After spending a further 3 hours last night with the 5909, I'd like to add a couple more things regarding the sound.

This is the first BT headphone I've heard that, thank God, finally manages to handle busy passages very well, which leads me to believe ML aren't using an off-the-shelf / OEM driver, but one of fairly decent quality (read: when used passively) that reproduces music very well indeed.

Decay, unlike all BT headphones I've tried (including products by Bose, Sony, Bowers & Wilkins, Bang & Olufsen, Master & Dynamic, Dali, Apple, and so on), seems very right, with bass notes being delineated very clearly. The low end absolutely never sounds muddy, too warn or slow – yet, on the neutral setting it has enough convincing heft.

The midrange, arguably the most important frequency, is very well done, clear sounding and with enough weight rendering male and female voices, as well as instruments, very right.

I don't know for a fact how close to 'perfect' the FR is on my unit, but this headphone, overall, reproduces sound really very well.

Still not keen on the looks and design, but I have to say that in my case I'm actually quite happy this headphone won't be getting much unwanted attention when worn in public.

Hephaestus

After 2 weeks of ownership I have settled with the following EQ profile for ANC on mode:

APO.jpg

I created it by eyeballing the measurements and carrying out subjective listening tests. I know the filters above 10k are sharp - but they seem to work for me...

I sent some feedback to Mark Levinson about the high treble issues.

Top Bottom