• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 26.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 107 56.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.1%

• Total voters

Chrisnew

It's a bummer they have the cec function backwards. They are aware of it. Hopefully they can fix it. I just leave mine on with the display off. I set the top buttons to wake or sleep the display with a tap. I'm going to give it a few more months to decide if I will keep it or not. Holding out the the wiim ultra. If that doesn't work I will slum it with a nad c700.
I agree it's a pity. It would have been great if it was perfect out of the box. There are users like us who will gladly pay for HDMI arc

Antlestxp

Me too , that’s why I got the Eversolo A8

bk
I love that unit but not the size. It's too close to full size. I should still give one a try to see if it's worth dealing with the space it takes up. How well does hdmi arc work? Does it switch over to hdmi when the tv commands a source change? Does it wake and sleep with the tv?

Gyosa1

I love that unit but not the size. It's too close to full size. I should still give one a try to see if it's worth dealing with the space it takes up. How well does hdmi arc work? Does it switch over to hdmi when the tv commands a source change? Does it wake and sleep with the tv?
I love it . ARC works great for volume, it’s not CEC compliant, so “no“ to the other questions.

bk

Antlestxp

I love it . ARC works great for volume, it’s not CEC compliant, so “no“ to the other questions.

bk
Well hopefully with enough poking we can see this function in the future. This seems to be something all the bigger names have figured out already. They (nad, marantz, Yamaha, to name a few) have the convenience down but not necessarily the audio quality. Is it too much to ask to have both lol

Antlestxp

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 204844.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 204844.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-05-14 204524.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 204524.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2024-05-14 204551.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 204551.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 16

Tedaz

there are majorly two types of all-in-one:

A - traditional USB DAC, added/attached medial player function, i.e mini-i (pro) 4, thus the medial player function has no UI control, no hardware remote control, fully depends on iPhone/android phone to operate the media player. in this case, the DAC is generally great on sound quality and normal DAC functions such as input switch.

B - medial player, added/attached DAC function, i.e. SMSL DP5, thus the medial player functions can be controlled by the unit more or less, as well as hardware remote controller; whereas the DAC function may buggy, i.e significant delay (>0.1 sec) and very complex to switch inputs.

Matrix mini series are traditional USB DAC, and as of Mini-i 3 Pro, it equips XMOS XU216 and femto-second clock – the famous Crystek CCHD-950. however, Mini-i 4 (pro) cut down all these hardware; and added the local file playback function as compensation.

Antlestxp

there are majorly two types of all-in-one:

A - traditional USB DAC, added/attached medial player function, i.e mini-i (pro) 4, thus the medial player function has no UI control, no hardware remote control, fully depends on iPhone/android phone to operate the media player. in this case, the DAC is generally great on sound quality and normal DAC functions such as input switch.

B - medial player, added/attached DAC function, i.e. SMSL DP5, thus the medial player functions can be controlled by the unit more or less, as well as hardware remote controller; whereas the DAC function may buggy, i.e significant delay (>0.1 sec) and very complex to switch inputs.

Matrix mini series are traditional USB DAC, and as of Mini-i 3 Pro, it equips XMOS XU216 and femto-second clock – the famous Crystek CCHD-950. however, Mini-i 4 (pro) cut down all these hardware; and added the local file playback function as compensation.
I don't see why it is a shame. The device works well for its intended use as a multi media hub with great dac implementation. It's isn't sold solely as a dac.

Top Bottom