• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

May Occam's Razor Apply? Can we learn as much from a $199 EARS as from a $41,000 HATS?

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Upon some digging in my hard drive, apparently I had a set of measurements of the EARS I did earlier this year alongside a large number of measurements on my 4128C to quantify the variation between measurement sets - I suspect that the two together will be of some interest.

Methodologically, and I'll be honest I'm only being thorough about this because implausibly I kept good notes during this, all measurements were captured at a sample rate of 192khz using a 1.365s logarithmic sine sweep in ARTA, and analyzed with an FFT block length of 128k samples, then smoothed to 1/24th octave bands. Each headphone frequency response is an average of five reseats/replacements on the head. All measurements were conducted within the linear output range of the headphones, and at levels high enough to avoid room noise contributing significant response deviation above 100hz. All results were normalized to 1khz - this was arbitrary, and these days I tend to prefer 200hz or 500hz for such comparisons because it's further from the HRTF band's detailed region, but given that coupling produced some variations of meaningful magnitude with the EARS, this has the perk of mostly excluding that from impacting measures of difference at higher frequency. Though a high sampling rate was used, the EARS appears to be lowpassed around 22khz, and obviously >20khz data has no audible implications, so I've chosen to limit the plots to this scale.

The headphones used were not entirely in stock form, but represent a reasonably varied body of headphones while being primarily over-ear, and were constant between the test fixtures (and, per my notes, tested about 8-15 hours apart). They consisted of an Audio-Technica AD700 whose drivers had been replaced by AD2000 drivers (open rear volume, leaky front volume); A Yoga CD2500 branded by the gaming brand Fenix as "Aria" (closed rear volume, closed front volume); A Foster Electrics model 443741 branded as a Creative Aurvana Live (closed rear volume, mostly closed front volume, small/supraaural pads); A Foster Electric model 443742 branded as a Denon D2000 (closed rear volume, partially leaky front volume); an Audeze EL8C (closed rear volume, closed front volume, planar magnetic); a Sennheiser HD600 (open rear volume, leaky front volume); a Sennheiser HD800 (open rear volume, leaky front volume, very large front volume space); a Superlux HD681 (open or leaky rear volume - I haven't actually checked, I'll be honest - closed front volume, with fairly thin pads that couple inconsistently); a Hifiman HE560 (open rear volume, leaky front volume, planar magnetic with exceptionally low acoustic impedance); a Monoprice M1060 (open rear volume, sealed front volume, planar magnetic with a substantial high Q resonance in the upper midrange/low treble band); an AKG Q701 (open rear volume, leaky front volume); and a Tascam TH02 (closed rear volume, closed front volume).

soup.png

As I usually do, I've started with a useless soup of lines. I'm not really sure why I feel compelled to show the raw responses on the two systems, because even if I gave each pair its own plot, it's a terribly way to infer the differences and their trends...but it feels somehow wrong to me to omit it at this point. Nonetheless, it's useless, so let's make it into something more useful.
4128-ears deltas.png

Subtracting the measurements of a given headphone on the EARS from the measurement on the 4128 gives us a plot of the headphone-specific deviation between the two systems by frequency. At a quick eyeball, we can see some common trends in the difference, as well as the outlier behavior at low-mid frequencies of two of the closed designs most sensitive to leakage (the CD2500/Aria and 443741/CAL, respectively the orange and grey lines). Averaging these plots and taking minimum and maximum values by frequency gives us what could be considered a compensation curve, as well as "worst-case" variation which I encountered in this test set:
4128-ears avg delta.png

You can see a commonality with Oratory's average of difference here as well:
oratory ears delta.png

It might be tempting to take such an averaged curve as a correction for an EARS, and, if you happened to have an EARS, it's a better option than nothing, but as aforementioned its results will vary between headphones, particularly at higher frequencies. Out to 2-4kz, this seems like a reasonable choice to me (although as much of the lower-frequency variation will be due to coupling variation, a specific comparison <500hz with careful attention to seal might be a good addition), but past that band, things become less consistent. Subtracting the average from the individual headphone results shows us the degree of inaccuracy with a constant compensation:
4128-ears delta minus avg.png

Note that the scale has changed to 30dB in total from 50dB.

I know that it will be a concern that we're just measuring noise here - specifically the noise of placement variation/"run-to-run delta", so as a comparison, here is an overlay of the same sort of plot made from the absolute worst-case maximum deviations by frequency from five sets of measurements on my HATS (the 300 measurements that are embodied here took me a full day).

HATS variation.png

Note that this not a per-headphone per-set plot, as that would be even less readable, and instead represents the worst-case difference from all 12 headphones in each measurement set. The equivalent plot for the 4128-EARS looks like this, which as you can see is just the extremes of the second to last plot:
4128-ears worst-case.png

That is to say that in spite of being just one comparison, instead of the ten in total from the five sets of 4128 measurements, the upper end of the HRTF band shows greater worst-case variation.

Of course, the worst-case isn't necessarily what we care most about, so I've also calculated the standard deviation by frequency for the 4128-EARS data per headphone with the average subtracted (e.g. the "compensated" results you'd get):
4128-ears stdev.png

And of course the entire point of the 300-measurements-on-4128 project was seeing what that looked like for my HATS itself, so here's that plot for your comparison purposes (each line being the stdev of the deltas between two measurement sets):

4128 stdev.png

With 1khz as the alignment frequency, naturally deviation is zero there. The HATS results reflect only the "noise" inherent to the whole process, and so could be considered the noise floor here. By that measure, the EARS isn't substantially a compromise out to 4khz or so, but past there its dynamic interactions with headphones that differ from real ears dominate measurement noise. They aren't as large as those of an earless flat plate, but they are meaningful, and it's sufficient reason to take the results you get in that band with a grain of salt.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
IMHO, the proper metrics for judging the EARS is price to performance. On that count, I think it's hard to fault it. Can it do everything as well as a rig that costs as much as a new car? Of course not. But for the price, it's great.
Ehh. My main complaint with this argument is that you can get a 6mm electret capsule for $.50, or a quite nice one pre-soldered to a wire for <$25, and glue it into a Comply T600 eartip, and based on my results from doing such tests, it'll vary less than the EARS will on a per-headphone basis, and give you the added benefit of measuring on your own head - sounds like a much nicer value to me.

I definitely agree that the EARS represents a meaningful improvement from the earless flat plate omni mic measurement systems that pervaded in the DIY community before its release, and I think that it's a useful tool within its limitations - but I'm not sure it has a good argument for it when stacked up against intraaural microphones.

Rusty Shackleford

Upon some digging in my hard drive, apparently I had a set of measurements of the EARS I did earlier this year alongside a large number of measurements on my 4128C to quantify the variation between measurement sets - I suspect that the two together will be of some interest.

Methodologically, and I'll be honest I'm only being thorough about this because implausibly I kept good notes during this, all measurements were captured at a sample rate of 192khz using a 1.365s logarithmic sine sweep in ARTA, and analyzed with an FFT block length of 128k samples, then smoothed to 1/24th octave bands. Each headphone frequency response is an average of five reseats/replacements on the head. All measurements were conducted within the linear output range of the headphones, and at levels high enough to avoid room noise contributing significant response deviation above 100hz. All results were normalized to 1khz - this was arbitrary, and these days I tend to prefer 200hz or 500hz for such comparisons because it's further from the HRTF band's detailed region, but given that coupling produced some variations of meaningful magnitude with the EARS, this has the perk of mostly excluding that from impacting measures of difference at higher frequency. Though a high sampling rate was used, the EARS appears to be lowpassed around 22khz, and obviously >20khz data has no audible implications, so I've chosen to limit the plots to this scale.

The headphones used were not entirely in stock form, but represent a reasonably varied body of headphones while being primarily over-ear, and were constant between the test fixtures (and, per my notes, tested about 8-15 hours apart). They consisted of an Audio-Technica AD700 whose drivers had been replaced by AD2000 drivers (open rear volume, leaky front volume); A Yoga CD2500 branded by the gaming brand Fenix as "Aria" (closed rear volume, closed front volume); A Foster Electrics model 443741 branded as a Creative Aurvana Live (closed rear volume, mostly closed front volume, small/supraaural pads); A Foster Electric model 443742 branded as a Denon D2000 (closed rear volume, partially leaky front volume); an Audeze EL8C (closed rear volume, closed front volume, planar magnetic); a Sennheiser HD600 (open rear volume, leaky front volume); a Sennheiser HD800 (open rear volume, leaky front volume, very large front volume space); a Superlux HD681 (open or leaky rear volume - I haven't actually checked, I'll be honest - closed front volume, with fairly thin pads that couple inconsistently); a Hifiman HE560 (open rear volume, leaky front volume, planar magnetic with exceptionally low acoustic impedance); a Monoprice M1060 (open rear volume, sealed front volume, planar magnetic with a substantial high Q resonance in the upper midrange/low treble band); an AKG Q701 (open rear volume, leaky front volume); and a Tascam TH02 (closed rear volume, closed front volume).

View attachment 78701
As I usually do, I've started with a useless soup of lines. I'm not really sure why I feel compelled to show the raw responses on the two systems, because even if I gave each pair its own plot, it's a terribly way to infer the differences and their trends...but it feels somehow wrong to me to omit it at this point. Nonetheless, it's useless, so let's make it into something more useful.
View attachment 78702
Subtracting the measurements of a given headphone on the EARS from the measurement on the 4128 gives us a plot of the headphone-specific deviation between the two systems by frequency. At a quick eyeball, we can see some common trends in the difference, as well as the outlier behavior at low-mid frequencies of two of the closed designs most sensitive to leakage (the CD2500/Aria and 443741/CAL, respectively the orange and grey lines). Averaging these plots and taking minimum and maximum values by frequency gives us what could be considered a compensation curve, as well as "worst-case" variation which I encountered in this test set:
View attachment 78703
View attachment 78704
It might be tempting to take such an averaged curve as a correction for an EARS, and, if you happened to have an EARS, it's a better option than nothing, but as aforementioned its results will vary between headphones, particularly at higher frequencies. Out to 2-4kz, this seems like a reasonable choice to me (although as much of the lower-frequency variation will be due to coupling variation, a specific comparison <500hz with careful attention to seal might be a good addition), but past that band, things become less consistent. Subtracting the average from the individual headphone results shows us the degree of inaccuracy with a constant compensation:
View attachment 78705

I know that it will be a concern that we're just measuring noise here - specifically the noise of placement variation/"run-to-run delta", so as a comparison, here is an overlay of the same sort of plot made from the absolute worst-case maximum deviations by frequency from five sets of measurements on my HATS (the 300 measurements that are embodied here took me a full day).

View attachment 78707
Note that this not a per-headphone per-set plot, as that would be even less readable, and instead represents the worst-case difference from all 12 headphones in each measurement set. The equivalent plot for the 4128-EARS looks like this, which as you can see is just the extremes of the second to last plot:
View attachment 78708
That is to say that in spite of being just one comparison, instead of the ten in total from the five sets of 4128 measurements, the upper end of the HRTF band shows greater worst-case variation.

Of course, the worst-case isn't necessarily what we care most about, so I've also calculated the standard deviation by frequency for the 4128-EARS data per headphone with the average subtracted (e.g. the "compensated" results you'd get):
View attachment 78709
And of course the entire point of the 300-measurements-on-4128 project was seeing what that looked like for my HATS itself, so here's that plot for your comparison purposes (each line being the stdev of the deltas between two measurement sets):

View attachment 78710

With 1khz as the alignment frequency, naturally deviation is zero there. The HATS results reflect only the "noise" inherent to the whole process, and so could be considered the noise floor here. By that measure, the EARS isn't substantially a compromise out to 4khz or so, but past there its dynamic interactions with headphones that differ from real ears dominate measurement noise. They aren't as large as those of an earless flat plate, but they are meaningful, and it's sufficient reason to take the results you get in that band with a grain of salt.

To me, the last two graphs are key, and it seems that the EARS have, at worst, 1 or 2 dB more variation than the 4128. That strikes me as not significant, especially given the price difference.

Rusty Shackleford

Doesn't matter to me. So for example, when I used LCD2C's, and use Oratory's EQ, they're like completely new headphones. Like not even remotely close to stock, and are so much better.

I use his HD58X or 6XX EQ, and it's alright (I'm not saying it's bad, but the change isn't as big, nor is the sound much at all as pleasing compared to the LCD, but still very pleasing nonetheless).

Now obviously this virtually worthless anecdote means nothing since you can't really compare headphones in this manner from my perspective (pads, drivers, dimensions, everything is completely different, and who knows what's going on to the sound before it reaches my mind for processing). But these days I generally prefer to EQ on my own (I start with a FR sweep, and try to smooth out any stark peeks by doing multiple passes until things sound okay, and then I come back another day and do the same just to be sure my mind isn't adapting or tuning things out after multiple passes).

As an on-looker to this whole recent headphone measurements ordeal, I'm just somewhat shocked (and somewhat not consider its audio, and the amount of half-assed nonsense that passes through this industry), that there isn't a far more strict validation means of objective data gathering and processing. I again stick to the idea in my head, that most headphones are slapped together with all these unknowns, and they're simply measuring with whatever they've got using basically just FR, and a few subjective listens just to make sure nothing is insanely bad (who knows, since everything in this industry is so hush, no one has a clue on what anyone's doing unless you're an insider I suppose).

With all the basic glance-level reading I've been doing, I still need someone to convince me there's some actual science going on behind the scenes of successful headphone production other than this somewhat-fudging and proceeding to release simply due to the industry and consumers knowing no better anyway..

I still take it to be the case, that even basic approximations of frequency response are good enough, and paired with THD metrics, that's all you really need to tailor your phones to your preference. It's seemingly the case that manufacturers aren't moving much in this realm, so might as well do it yourself in the same way you would tailor your room treatment for speakers or something. Provided again, that THD isn't too high where EQ would just ruin it. You can see active speakers somewhat realizing this, and going this route, trying to fix issues with DSP, because seemingly native transducer characteristics can't be dialed in by whoever is producing them for the majority of audio device makers.

One area that leaves me speechless is Custom-IEMs. If all this mucking around with headphones, speakers, and universal IEM's is bad due to whole sorts of pinna and canal aspects. I cannot imagine A SINGLE manufacturer somehow being able to produce 2 custom IEM's for two different customers, and holding to the idea they're actually producing the same sound as one another. I would LOVE to see how custom IEM's are treated in the development phase (I imagine just getting manufacturing of shells down, and just basic FR sweeps to make sure nothing deviates from the "house sound" is good enough). Can one even produce proper customer IEM's faithfully without being provided HRTF data from a customer (as inaccessible as that is?)

In terms of the industry, I think a lot more effort goes into the design of the average headphone than you think, even for small manufacturers. Read or watch some of the interviews with Zach from ZMF. He’s doing lots of measurements and design of custom drivers.

Tks

Major Contributor
In terms of the industry, I think a lot more effort goes into the design of the average headphone than you think, even for small manufacturers. Read or watch some of the interviews with Zach from ZMF. He’s doing lots of measurements and design of custom drivers.

Their headphones any good?

pwjazz

Forum Donor
the EARS isn't substantially a compromise out to 4khz or so

That confirms what I had suspected just from playing around with my E.A.R.S. I don't take specific frequencies and amplitudes too seriously in the treble and just use the EARS measurement as a general approximation of overall treble level.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

View attachment 78701
View attachment 78702
View attachment 78703
View attachment 78704
View attachment 78705

View attachment 78707
View attachment 78708

View attachment 78709

View attachment 78710

I have rarely seen so many squiggly lines in one post :D

Rusty Shackleford

Their headphones any good?

Yeah, most of his headphones are excellent. In interviews, he talks about the engineering that goes into the drivers, the CAD used for the cup design (even though the end product is wood), etc. Several of the info pages on ZMF have high-quality measurements, which line up with outside ones. He also posts measurements on various discussion boards when people ask. His goal seems to be making sure people aren’t surprised by the sound of whatever they buy from him.

Now, obviously I think you’re right that there’re some crappy headphones out there. But, oddly, sometimes headphones that end up measuring terribly, like the Senn HD820, had a lot of R&D put behind them. Why they ended up that way...it’s hard to say. People have wildly divergent definitions of neutral in a headphone, and obviously some consumers want a “tuned” headphone, for better or worse.

Rusty Shackleford

Ehh. My main complaint with this argument is that you can get a 6mm electret capsule for $.50, or a quite nice one pre-soldered to a wire for <$25, and glue it into a Comply T600 eartip, and based on my results from doing such tests, it'll vary less than the EARS will on a per-headphone basis, and give you the added benefit of measuring on your own head - sounds like a much nicer value to me.

I definitely agree that the EARS represents a meaningful improvement from the earless flat plate omni mic measurement systems that pervaded in the DIY community before its release, and I think that it's a useful tool within its limitations - but I'm not sure it has a good argument for it when stacked up against intraaural microphones.

It would be cool if you posted a DIY guidebook or wiki on using the linked capsule for measurements.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Dan Clark Audio’s website, they do not publish FRs because:
“We don’t publish a spec because too many vendors shamelessly exaggerate the response of their headphones to win the "spec wars," making any comparison of specs irrelevant.”
I wonder if there is any truth to this?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
“We don’t publish a spec because too many vendors shamelessly exaggerate the response of their headphones to win the "spec wars," making any comparison of specs irrelevant.”
It's opportunistic, in the bad sense of the word.

Here's a respectable presentation of IEM measurements: https://periodicaudio.com/collections/frontpage/products/beryllium

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I have seen measurements from him in the past. They were questioned (as are all measurements of headphones)
So I reckon he just sticks to the easy to measure stuff that isn't questioned such as impedance, weight. Strangely enough he does publish efficiency numbers but not how these were obtained.
I guess he got tired of specs being questioned.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
To me, the last two graphs are key, and it seems that the EARS have, at worst, 1 or 2 dB more variation than the 4128. That strikes me as not significant, especially given the price difference.
As a comparison point, the standard deviation of electrets flush mounted in a Comply eartip (other, cheaper alternatives exist) in the ear:
electret stdev.png

The "6050" in that plot is these things. The average difference is pretty much what you expect from an occluding probe (e.g. removing the canal effect):
electret avg delta.png

Plus some high-frequency bandwidth limitation for the literally $.25 capsules, and the worst-case variation doesn't look too bad neither:
electret worst case.png

It would be cool if you posted a DIY guidebook or wiki on using the linked capsule for measurements.
I mean, you can literally glue it into a Comply T600 or other 6mm bore eartip, although the insertion depth must remain consistent to achieve consistent results. If I were inclined to make a DIY tutorial, I'd probably suggest super-gluing an M6 nylon washer to the microphone at the top, prior to gluing it into the T600; this being about 11-12mm around, it won't fit into the ear canal, so with that flange mounted, you'd just insert it as far as it went every time.

Edit: Just checked with the EM258 - it fits pretty snug in an M6 washer, so if you ran a little bead of superglue around the edge, I reckon it'd be quite firm. The other 6mm electrets should as well, and with a longer one like the 6050, you technically wouldn't even need to glue it into the eartip to get it to stay in I suppose.

Last edited:

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
My understanding is that Dan's referring to specified min/maximum frequency response (e.g. "5-45000hz") ranges there, rather than actually plotted frequency response. Since headphone rated frequency ranges aren't usually even specified with a +/- value, they really are pretty useless, but Dan has definitely published frequency response measurements of his headphones before.

Rusty Shackleford

As a comparison point, the standard deviation of electrets flush mounted in a Comply eartip (other, cheaper alternatives exist) in the ear:
View attachment 78792
The "6050" in that plot is these things. The average difference is pretty much what you expect from an occluding probe (e.g. removing the canal effect):
View attachment 78793
Plus some high-frequency bandwidth limitation for the literally $.25 capsules, and the worst-case variation doesn't look too bad neither:
View attachment 78794

I mean, you can literally glue it into a Comply T600 or other 6mm bore eartip, although the insertion depth must remain consistent to achieve consistent results. If I were inclined to make a DIY tutorial, I'd probably suggest super-gluing an M6 nylon washer to the microphone at the top, prior to gluing it into the T600; this being about 11-12mm around, it won't fit into the ear canal, so with that flange mounted, you'd just insert it as far as it went every time.

Edit: Just checked with the EM258 - it fits pretty snug in an M6 washer, so if you ran a little bead of superglue around the edge, I reckon it'd be quite firm. The other 6mm electrets should as well, and with a longer one like the 6050, you technically wouldn't even need to glue it into the eartip to get it to stay in I suppose.

Very neat. I might need to make one and experiment.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
Very neat. I might need to make one and experiment.
I'd recommend it! It's comparatively cheap - particularly if you're handy with a soldering iron - and it'd allow for cute tricks like Jaakko's Impulcifier.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is that Dan's referring to specified min/maximum frequency response (e.g. "5-45000hz") ranges there, rather than actually plotted frequency response. Since headphone rated frequency ranges aren't usually even specified with a +/- value, they really are pretty useless, but Dan has definitely published frequency response measurements of his headphones before.

Yup- pretty sure most of the Drop collabs of his have them on the relevant Drop pages.

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
Any suggestions as to what inexpensive electronics it needs to be connected to?
An ADC and a source of plug-in (3-10V) power. Probably the four easiest options here, in order of price, are
1: Wiring a little R/C circuit into an XLR like so. This requires an audio interface with 48V phantom power.
2: Any phone dongle that's TRRS plus a TRRS>2xTRS splitter, with the mic capsule terminated to a TRS or TS 3.5mm connection.
3: A Rode VLXR+ (note: NOT the VLXR, which doesn't provide power adaptation), with the mic capsule terminated to a TRS or TS 3.5mm connection. This requires an audio interface with 48V phantom power.
4: Any portable recorder or sound card with a 3.5mm TRS mic input (ex. Zoom H1N), with the mic capsule terminated to a TRS or TS 3.5mm connection - this has the perk that you can wire two of the mics to one TRS jack and use it for stereo, binaural recordings.

Edit: Note that the cheapy little 6mm capsules tend to be quite insensitive and not insignificantly noisy, so for binaural purposes you'd probably want some of the nicer stuff (e.g. at least a WM61A/EM258). The bottom shelf stuff works fine for measurement purposes, though.

Edit 2: Overall, I would say that it should be possible to do this for south of the EARS' price at the worst case - a pair of pre-soldered capsules is ~$50, the eartips ~$15, and a new recorder is $80-120, even if you started with neither an interface nor an iron nor a willingness to do much work yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom