• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurement of R2R DAC

fabien32

Please point me to a R2R DAC that measures as well or better than your average delta-sigma one.
I hear you all and appreciate what you say, really, but sound and music are not numbers (digits) to me and if the math can't find it than the math need to be rectified, because i hear it. as far as the article go, it made sense to me(NASA or not)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you all and appreciate what you say, really, but sound and music are not numbers (digits) to me and the if the math can't find it than the math need to be rectified, because i hear it. as far as the article go, it made sense to me(NASA or not)

So your personal perception is more valid than 100 years of scientific research? I see... :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you all and appreciate what you say, really, but sound and music are not numbers (digits) to me and if the math can't find it than the math need to be rectified, because i hear it.

Just out of curiosity, what got you to join ASR?

fabien32

So your personal perception is more valid than 100 years of scientific research? I see... :)
when it comes to music listening, definitely :) and as i said earlier, i prefer sigma delta sound. i just say that there is something in the rr2r sound that I like that is missing to sigma, and i am not the only one. and I really think it's worth exploring

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i fallow and love amirm reviews for a long time

Have you noticed that he relies on science and measurements, not subjective perceptions?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
when it comes to music listening, definitely :) and as i said earlier, i prefer sigma delta sound. i just say that there is something in the rr2r sound that I like that is missing to sigma, and i am not the only on.. and I really think it's worth exploring

Your personal subjective perceptions and preferences have been noted, and rest assured, the topic has been explored for at least 90 years or so, ever since Claude Shannon and Harry Nyquist.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes but not only. after all his measurement he do a listing test

And you are counting on his tastes to be similar to yours?

fabien32

And you are counting on his tastes to be similar to yours?

never thought of it like that, taste is subjective. i just think listening is what it's all about so it is important to listen as well. so he listen. as do i

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
never thought of it like that, taste is subjective. i just think listening is what it's all about so it is important to listen as well. so he listen. as do i

So if taste is subjective (as it is), what use are his subjective opinions to you?

As I wrote, the most important test is indeed listening, but you have to make sure the only factor influencing the result is the actual difference, not your preconceived notions, confirmation bias and beliefs. Thus it has to be a controlled, level-matched double-blind test. Have you done any?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

He does subjective tests on headphone amps typically... Not on DAC's...as be realizes there is no need unless measurements show there's a problem.

Where does he show a sound preference for one DAC vs another?

fabien32

So if taste is subjective (as it is), what use are his subjective opinions to you?
i'm not sure what is the relevance of this, but if you really want to know i'm sure you can ask him. i only care that he does do listening test, it shows me he value real life experience as well. anyway i am pretty sure that not manipulating the sound as its benefits, if you don't you are untitled to your opinion

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i'm not sure what is the relevance of this, but if you really want to know i'm sure you can ask him.

How would he know what use his subjective opinions are to you?

anyway i am pretty sure that not manipulating the sound as its benefits, if you don't you are untitled to your opinion

Are you perhaps typing on a phone? That sentence doesn't make sense.

gvl

Major Contributor
I think the whole r2r vs ds argument has no basis as there's at least a dozen other factors that may affect how something can sound, even if we're talking about differences that somehow don't register on analyzers. If there was a DAC that could allow to swap out its DAC chip leaving other parts identical then there would be some potential for objectively subjective exploration.

That said, while I subscribe to all scientific opinions expressed here, I do tend to think that blind tests don't tell whole story. I acknowledge that I can't reliably tell the difference between several DACs I own blind, yet in long listening sessions I tend to prefer some over the others.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
delta-sigma and r-2r dac are completely different technologies, so the spec are not comparable. you maybe should read this

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/dac.htm
Maybe you should ask someone who really understands the science (unlike the author) read it for you and tell you all that is wrong there.

SNR measured over 1 second? Who says?

Switching is bad in delta-sigma? How about switching in R2R?

Dither doesn't work? Really? There are dozens of demos on Youtube showing how dither works wonderfully and your ear doesn't need "1 second averaging" to hear its benefits.

And who is the author? I searched for Lynn Olson everywhere. I can't find a bio. Do you know if he has proper signal processing experience? If not, why on earth do you trust what he says? Did you not note things like this?

1568481139271.png

Pay attention to the name of this forum: Audio Science Review. We have membership here who actually knows this topic and has practiced it. And you tell us to read something written for audiophiles to believe?

Don't put your guard down because you like the message. Pay attention to where something is published. And by whom. Above all, don't print a page from the Internet to show to your doctor to tell him you know more because you read that. :)

Back to your statement, our measurements aim to determine if a DAC does what it is supposed to do: convert digital samples faithfully to analog. That is all it is supposed to do, and all it can do. It doesn't know what music is. It doesn't know noise. It doesn't know anything. All it is given is a sequence of numbers to convert to analog. Our measurements feed it numbers and determines if what comes out of the other side are the same or different.

Furthermore, when we see deviations, we have detailed data in the form of spectrum we can use with psychoacoustics to determine audiblity. No hand waving here.

Last but not least, what you state is the latest talking point about R2R. It used to be that people were told that these are the most accurate DACs. Many people buy them because they think that is the case. To the extent our measurements show otherwise, we dismiss with that marketing myth.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I acknowledge that I can't reliably tell the difference between several DACs I own blind, yet in long listening sessions I tend to prefer some over the others.

And that's exactly why you need to have DBT as a basic control.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And who is the author? I searched for Lynn Olson everywhere. I can't find a bio. Do you know if he has proper signal processing experience?

I know him. He does not.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that's exactly why you need to have DBT as a basic control.

"Ah, but I am sure it is not the placebo effect / I don't have any expectation bias / I know what I hear" :)

Top Bottom