• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvl

Major Contributor
If your workers spent 1 man-hr with the device assembling it, controlling the process, testing, packing etc. you're out $30-40 just in labor and related costs. I can't see it being $30-40 overall.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
If your workers spent 1 hr with the device assembling it, controlling the process, testing, packing etc. you're out $40 just in labor and related costs. I can't see it being $30-40 overall.
$40 an hour for basic assembly? Where are you getting these numbers from???????????
Considering the horrible QC of Schiit devices, the chances of any "real testing" being done are quite low and the overall time to do basic functionality testing on electronics will be 1-3 minutes.
Overall assembly is under 1 hour typically.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Believe that's the costs of labour + overheads of the business.

If its the just the salary, I'm applying straight away ... $320/day for work that doesn't need to be brought out of the workplace and burdensome on the mind after work hours, I'll take it any day !

gvl

Major Contributor
$15-20/hr for assembly job is probably about right, add benefits and such, workers comp insurance, building/equipemnt rental, electricity, lawyers, accounting, input parts QC, etc. I'm being modest here with $40/hr. They also need to turn profits too. Their products may not measure well, but I do believe they are more or less reasonably priced considering they are made domestically.

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
$40 an hour for basic assembly? Where are you getting these numbers from???????????
Considering the horrible QC of Schiit devices, the chances of any "real testing" being done are quite low and the overall time to do basic functionality testing on electronics will be 1-3 minutes.
Overall assembly is under 1 hour typically.
You seem very knowledgeable, what company do you own and what do they manufacture?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Another back-handed response. Asking what this information is based on would be more enlightening. ;)

Your question could be asked of yourself in this matter.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You seem very knowledgeable, what company do you own and what do they manufacture?
My father owned a screen printing factory and his friend an embroider plant. Also my father worked in Gift, Toy and Furniture businesses. We are close to many manufacturers both domestic and international, for example he is a friend of the mfg of Tervis just to toss a name out there.

Also one of my business associates entire family is in the tech mfg business in taiwan.. Lets just say that $40/hour assembly costs don't exist, especially not on small scale electronics.
Electronics are made by machines, and people who do basic soldering even in the USA are making $15/hr... techs who do QC can make even less.
I had a friend who worked for a company doing QC and he was making $12/hr... its a basic task of inspecting a product or connecting it to a machine to make sure it works (depending on industry).
Coming out with a $40/hr mfg cost is just pure insanity.... The reality is that as transparent as Schiit pretends to be, nobody actually knows who mfg's what where and how many workers they have, what plants they have or literally anything....
That is actually a bit suspicious if you think about it, considering their parading about their domestic mfg.

What I can tell you is JDS Labs products are made in house by people who work there at JDS and they hand make each product and mail it out. They may have some placement machines or solder machines now but its all done in house and they don't have many employees overall (this is to keep costs down). They are actually very friendly and transparent and if you ask them something they will give you the honest answer unlike Schiit.

gvl

Major Contributor
Sounds like they subcontract PCB manufacturing and metal work to other US companies and do final assembly and testing in-house.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sounds like they subcontract PCB manufacturing and metal work to other US companies and do final assembly and testing in-house.
So then they are only actually employing really low paid employees, or they only have like 2 salaried employees who just assemble stuff based on demand and have other jobs otherwise...
Considering their overall design and prototyping the two main guys are the ones who actually do the layouts, outside of that their costs are low because sticking boards together, putting it in a chassis and turning it on is not complex work.
They could have as few as 4 or as many as say 16 workers, but considering what is shown in the video, most of it is pre-assmebled and its literally ~10 minutes of work to assemble it, but ofc the ones that would take any time to assemble (still talking about under 30 minutes) are the ones with huge price tags. Because all their cheaper stuff is single board and they are dropping it into the chassis, putting on the knobs and putting it in the box.

palamudin

The way he pulls out those boards hurt me.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As intresting as all this is I’d rather we swerve further speculation wrt schiit manufacturing practices ( unless there’s further directs knowledge that’s relevant to our findings here) however keenly informed and well intended.

gvl

Major Contributor
Do not forget the subcontractors aren't working for free. Anyhow, I'm still not convinced the cost to manufacture the Eitr, direct and not, is under $40.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Aren't there supposed to be electronics testing jigs for the final QC ?? I would expect a few oscilloscopes at some stations that deal with final inspection though.
I see those even for really small scale fabrication houses that I sometimes deal with in my line of work.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

We use PCBPool. Just send them the schematics and parts list and they tape everything out. Our parts cost is $78.40 and the per unit labor is $6.99 per board.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
So then they are only actually employing really low paid employees, or they only have like 2 salaried employees who just assemble stuff based on demand and have other jobs otherwise...
Considering their overall design and prototyping the two main guys are the ones who actually do the layouts, outside of that their costs are low because sticking boards together, putting it in a chassis and turning it on is not complex work.
They could have as few as 4 or as many as say 16 workers, but considering what is shown in the video, most of it is pre-assmebled and its literally ~10 minutes of work to assemble it, but ofc the ones that would take any time to assemble (still talking about under 30 minutes) are the ones with huge price tags. Because all their cheaper stuff is single board and they are dropping it into the chassis, putting on the knobs and putting it in the box.
It is amazing how little regard you show for people, the work they do, and humanity in general. Just the fact you say "low paid employees" is telling. Not everyone regards people a commodity just to be used. smh. Maybe they pay people fairly because that would be the right thing, they are not sweatshop owners. Maybe they respect people and feel they have value, maybe you can try and do the same.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think it wonderful that Schmitt pay fair wages, good for them, now they just need to hire some decent engineers.
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It is amazing how little regard you show for people, the work they do, and humanity in general. Just the fact you say "low paid employees" is telling. Not everyone regards people a commodity just to be used. smh. Maybe they pay people fairly because that would be the right thing, they are not sweatshop owners. Maybe they respect people and feel they have value, maybe you can try and do the same.
Jesus , the guy made a appraisal based on his expirence and that of known others he’s not condemning low paid workers.

They might respect their workers but they don’t have much respect for their customers beyond proliferating their own egos going by what we have seen here.

Snarky comments and underhand insults constitute being noble and humane in your eyes at least , good luck with that .lol

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jesus , the guy made a appraisal based on his expirence and that of known others he’s not condemning low paid workers.

They might respect their workers but they don’t have much respect for their customers beyond proliferating their own egos have if anything we have seen here is commonplace.

I've come to understand that not everyone in a forum is a rational person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom