• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP EARS

Brubaker

Hi people i'm wondering if there some other users for MINIDSP EARS... if someone has corrected the error peak about 4,5 khz... i think i have found a solution... i'd like to share with other users... write here if someone want talking about this

sendler2112

I am also beginning with the MiniDSP Ears. Here is the measurement of my HiFiMan Ananda Nanos relative to the "HEQ" calibration curve. It appears that MiniDSP have included a correction for the additional contribution of the 4.3kHz Helmholtz resonance of the cylindrical "ear canal" with the newer HEQ curve compared to a classic Harmon curve or the older HPN curve. I am wondering if the peak at 8.6k is also a harmonic of the canal resonance. The target is the middle curve. The suck out at 11.3k is real and can easily be heard (or not heard) with test tones.

MiniDSP EARS Ananda Nano HEQ target.jpg

Here is what the Harmoncurve looks like so we see that MiniDSP has made an additional correction beyond this at 4.5k.

MiniDSP Harmon Curve.jpg

OP
Brubaker

Brubaker

hi sendler, after months of testing I think I've found a decent solution for the cylindrical channel peak on the minidsp. I needed a frequency response that considered Harman curve compensation and resolved the minidsp peaks so I inserted a very light piece of foam into the cylindrical channel and compensated the curves using a new calibration file that I made based on known measurements of some headphones made with GRAS equipment. With the foam I halve the peak at around 4.5 khz and with the new calibration file the measurements are very close to those of the GRAS because they also take into account the decrease after 1 khz so I can compare them with the Harman and then obtain some EQ correction files that I really like, sometimes even more than those from Oratory or Crinacle. As for the piece of foam to insert, mine is a small parallelepiped that measures approximately 1x1x2 cm and is made of a material that is usually used in packaging, nothing special, if you want I will be able to be more precise with some photos in the next few days and I will also be able to provide you with the new calibration file that I calculated by averaging the various measurements of my headphones made with the GRAS. The results are very interesting.

sendler2112

That's funny! I had the exact same thought just after making my reply here and was going to propose trying a foam plug this morning (now). Years ago I got on a kick to try some compression drivers and La Cleach horns and it was recommended to experiment with a plug of "acoustic foam' to tame the wall reflections of the horn which I still have a full sheet that I bought and never used.

I would be happy to try your calibration file. There was a good write up on the EARS here.

I am surprised that there is so little interest in trying to use the MiniDSP EARS. The number of sites that have any threads is very low and the posts get a few replies and just die. There is no real thread at all on Head-Fi.org that I can find. These modern planar headphones (and latest DAC chips and HiRez files) offer unbelievable resolution with their large area and ultra-low mass but are peaky and really respond to EQ . I am hearing things in recordings that I never heard with my high end two channel speakers and I used to make all my own gear.

sendler2112

I made a write up of the MiniDSP EARS measurement via Room EQ Wizard with auto eq for playback in Foobar/ Math EQ. Posted on Head-fi.

Top Bottom