• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP or NAD M10

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through your post carefully but the thing is that DDRC-24 can’t route output signal to it’s USB port. USB is used only to for configuration or acting as usb DAC input.
I wish I could use it like you described :)

no it's not it's bi-directional. like an audio interface.

I have access to 4-channel input and stereo output via USB.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How to bypass DDRC-24 DAC with RPi?
I’ve done that using I2S to SPDIF converter but this requires soldering on MiniDSP PCB.
Is there a simpler way?
Again: from what I can see, DDRC-22D provides the DSP without involving any DAC. Pure digital device.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went through your post carefully but the thing is that DDRC-24 can’t route output signal to it’s USB port. USB is used only to for configuration or acting as usb DAC input.
I wish I could use it like you described :)

Not sure why you think I would suggest something like this without actually testing it, it definitely works as the USB audio is bi-directional.

Here is some actual data using TOSLINK from a MacBook pro in to a DDRC-24 connected to a RPi 4 using CamillaDSP to route the DDRC processed signal to a MOTU M4 DAC. Output of MOTU M4 DAC is being captured by a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 ADC.

Screenshot below shows that Dirac processing is applied, again this is measured from the MOTU M4 DAC output.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.07.08 PM.png

Screenshot below shows THD+N for this configuration (limited by MOTU Ultralite Mk5 ADC noise, actual performance is better).

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.00.04 PM.png

To the OP you could run a similar setup if you routed the optical from your TV to the 851N and then use the TOSLINK output from the 851N to the DDRC-24 and use a RPi with CamillaDSP to route to another higher performance USB DAC. Only issue with this setup is you would need to do the volume control downstream of the 851N as it does not have volume control on the digital output. You could do volume control in the DDRC or in the RPi or in the downstream DAC.

Michael

Last edited:

kukocz

Forum Donor
Again: from what I can see, DDRC-22D provides the DSP without involving any DAC. Pure digital device.
I was thinking the same. It seems I was wrong :)
Just checked MiniDSP DDRC-24 webpage and in in the features list you can see:
1626850067272.png

Although it's not described in the user guide and connection diagram:

1626850118265.png

Not sure why you think I would suggest something like this without actually testing it, it definitely works as the USB audio is bi-directional.
Definitely, I don't. I just couldn't believe it's actually possible.
Personally, I ommited DAC section using this:
1626850386080.png

I also used similar one to convert SPDIF signal to TTL compatible level to get coax input and bypass Toslink stage.

1626850646781.png

1626850675167.png

Taking into consideration that USB performance is similar to the Toslink, I think that using signal redirection through the CamillaDSP ist the best and cheapest way to ignore DAC section in DDRC.

Moreover, currently I'm woorking on external volume control with OLED display based on minidsp-rs project from GitHub and my own python script to integrate it with knob and display. As it is raspberry-pi based, I could add camilladsp and use it USB output for DAC.
Sounds promising :)

1626851061252.png

@penquin I'm sorry for the offtop :)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking the same. It seems I was wrong :)
Just checked MiniDSP DDRC-24 webpage and in in the features list you can see:
View attachment 142582

Although it's not described in the user guide and connection diagram:

View attachment 142583

Definitely, I don't. I just couldn't believe it's actually possible.
Personally, I ommited DAC section using this:
View attachment 142584

I also used similar one to convert SPDIF signal to TTL compatible level to get coax input and bypass Toslink stage.

View attachment 142585
View attachment 142586

Taking into consideration that USB performance is similar to the Toslink, I think that using signal redirection through the CamillaDSP ist the best and cheapest way to ignore DAC section in DDRC.

Moreover, currently I'm woorking on external volume control with OLED display based on minidsp-rs project from GitHub and my own python script to integrate it with knob and display. As it is raspberry-pi based, I could add camilladsp and use it USB output for DAC.
Sounds promising :)

View attachment 142587

@penquin I'm sorry for the offtop :)

Wow, nice setup! Thanks for suggesting minidsp-rs, I was just looking at that last night and thinking about using it with an OLED display. As you mention it seems like a really good application when using CamillaDSP re-routing as you will already be using a RPi.

Michael

Top Bottom