• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

More on power cables or Moron power cables

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This was such that if the metal outlet cover got lose and dropped it would be less likely to short the plugs power pins.
That does make sense, specially for a device that may get plugged/unplugged numerous times a day.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On their site, they link to some doc in Minnesota who claims that the cable greatly improve his electrocardiology measurements. I'm surprised he hasn't published them if they work so great for that purpose...

I would not put that doc on my short list of people I'd want treating my family or me.

edit: Link
When I was just starting out I used to work as a technician in critical care settings. I used to spend a lot of time plugging stuff in/out, much of which was itself attached to critically ill people. The top cable capabilities for me were:

1) Easy to unplug lots of times without breaking.

2) Resistant to aggressive chemical contact.

3) Coloured coded so you don’t accidentally switch off the respirator monitor causing 3 of the patients relatives to panic.

Thats was it.

egellings

Major Contributor
As a test engineer, I have worked with some pretty exotic electronic test equipment, and all came with plain Jane straightforward IEC cords. Nowhere in their instruction books did I ever see a reference to power cord preference, outside of meeting ampacity requirements for high powered supplies & such. I think the fancy audiophool cords are a waste of money beyond their ability to do what any 3-speed four cylinder million-of-'em-on-the-road cord could do.

egellings

Major Contributor
Most advertising is lying, or at least over-exaggeration. How else they gonna sell that stuff?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Hello All,

Don't know about a hospital or other standard, in any country, but in the university hospital where I worked the power outlets were put in with the ground connection at the top. This was such that if the metal outlet cover got lose and dropped it would be less likely to short the plugs power pins. Makes some sense as a preventative measure, but really the covers should not be loose to start with. FWIW.
While some corporations and some industries may have that rule, there is nothing in the NEC about it. In fact the NEC rules forum does not permit threads about it.
At home I installed several receptacles ground pin up a few years ago. Wish I hadn't, right-angle plugs have the cords going up instead of down.

Top Bottom