• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

EasyC

Don't know if someone posted these, I used to work in the MilkyWay (Melkweg) in Amsterdam, where we used this until they were replaced sometime in the late eighties I think. Sounded pretty good as I remember, a lot of well known band played over these. Very, very big, powered by Mcintosh amps.

klipsch PA.jpg

Bleib

Major Contributor
They definitely have that look. If they sound, good, who cares? Load up on Grateful Dead albums!
It's sound to kill for. And to die for.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Are those Altec horns @ the top? They look like Altecs.
No idea. It cost like a car so I wasn't interested in the first place.

frascati

Inspired by a previous post in this thread, I've been playing with AI generated images. It's been helpful in looking at different material combinations for a speaker base I'm designing. But it's also great fun to plug in different material finish combos and see what type of loudspeakers the AI creates. I find a number of them beautiful, even if not always "best practice" engineering in design. The AI creates a particularly lustrous sense of light and materials. A bunch of examples:

View attachment 279492
View attachment 279494

View attachment 279496

View attachment 279497

View attachment 279498

View attachment 279499

View attachment 279500

View attachment 279502
And I think this is, or could be, the promise of such rendering beyond a lot of the handwringing about its shortcomings and dangers. Presently it's a pretty cool way to inspire ideas, directions, you may not have considered.

Remember, these models are not conceived from a passionless HAL somewhere in the ether. They are LLM "large language models" that represent a synthesis of human thought and design from as deep into the web as the programmers spiders are allowed to roam. It gives one the ability to tap into an amalgam of human thought, to the extent that we are expressing it on the web today. That can be frightening. It can be vapid. But it does represent a significant part of who we are.

I compared it once to the way I approach a recipe for some dish I'd like to make. I'm 62. Pre internet, I used to take a book off the shelf and look for a recipe for, for instance, spinach pie. I was, with no further guidance, pretty much confined to the exact ingredients and measurements printed there if I expected to turn out any reasonable example of spinach pie.

Today is different. I go online and read a dozen or more recipes, easily and quickly, and then mentally assemble a picture of what is common, and optional or adjustable, to each recipe. This enables me to pretty quickly come up with something unique to my tastes and sensibilities that would otherwise have taken a lot of trial and error to come up with on my own.

With the advent if AI I see this process I just described being condensed a thousand fold.

What we should be most concerned about are the feedback loops. But that's in the future and kinda off topic at present. What results when the algorithm starts feasting on its own content? Flaws and all?

Last edited:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is another speaker from me the new Linn 360
FsPASmgWIAEtdsN.jpeg

Well well, looks like recently a lot of new flagship speakers are releasing and here is another interesting option, looks great for a typical tower if you ask me but most importantly notice how acoustically sound is the physical design here and driver choice. Care was taken to reduce diffraction so the baffle is now slightly cylindrical and the goal here judging by driver choice was to achieve low directivity/high dispersion yet still smooth response.

Drivers:
Tweeter - 19mm beryllium dome (!), audio historians correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first beryllium dome tweeter of this size
Midrange - 64 mm thin-ply woven carbon dome, pretty unique driver too
Upper Bass - 190mm aluminium/magnesium cone
Lower Bass - 220mm long throw aluminium cone x2

There are two possible configurations, fully active with Linn flagship streamer and one semi-active where only the two lower woofers are powered and rest can be driven passively, however as there are 3 pairs of binding posts this option can still be brought back to fully active with external Linn xo and triamping. Assuming crossover and driver design is good this should be excellent.

Some more photos:
FsPOqsAakAA0JBE.jpg

115116-da224ab0bb242aec2910703eee435306.png

linn_360_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury_audio_musi...jpg

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

board

You don't need to spend a fortune for a beautiful looking speaker. Maybe not the greatest sounding speaker ever, but I have always quite liked the Beolab 8000 for its pure aesthetic statement.

View attachment 283544
My mum has those speakers (we're also from Denmark), although with a different B&O amplifier/cd player.
And yes, they do look nice.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mum has those speakers (we're also from Denmark), although with a different B&O amplifier/cd player.
My ex-wife wanted us to buy them. My veto was immediate and forceful. :)

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Every vild and sveenging apartment should have a pair of dese!

Descartes

Major Contributor
The completely different wood type, stain color, etc; between the top horn and bass cabinet
would drive me crazy?
I hope the picture is from a audio show hotel room, the drapes behind the speakers are unbelievably fugly.

I love these.
p67000daylight-f-c-superscript-three-1920x864.png
Wish I could afford these!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think this is the one.
Not small or cheap, for sure.

FB_IMG_1683441487498.jpg

(OK, I know, I already posted this on page 15 of this thread. But this version of the photo is much better. And this is the most beautiful speaker in the world ever.)

Top Bottom