• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA Deep Dive - I published music on tidal to test MQA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
MQA content is fully in the clear and even plays without a decoder. That is a huge step above most other codecs. Imagine being able to play MP3 wihtout a decoder. You simply can't do that.
I have seen that somewhere else...it lets you play/interact with the content, but with a few caveats...where have I seen that...?

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
Is there any content that is only released on MQA and no other format?
New Warner music releases, they said they were going full MQA support.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Are you saying the Warner label has agreed to make all of their music from some date forward only available on MQA?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a very narrow definition of DRM. The point of copy protection is to prevent unauthorised copying, which means that, there is a form of authorised copying, which is when a fee has been paid. If a file cannot be played without a licensed decoder, I don't see how this differs in practice.

I can make as many copies of encrypted files as I like, but I cannot access the content without paying for the encryption keys. If I cannot play Dolby audio files without paying for a license to access the decoder, this is no different in practice.

Which is my read of good ol' Wikipedias definition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management FWIW

Particularly

"Digital rights management (DRM) tools or technological protection measures (TPM)[1] are a set of access control technologies for restricting the use of proprietary hardware and copyrighted works.[2] DRM technologies try to control the use, modification, and distribution of copyrighted works (such as software and multimedia content), as well as systems within devices that enforce these policies.[3]" and ..

"Common DRM techniques include restrictive licensing agreements: The access to digital materials, copyright and public domain is restricted to consumers as a condition of entering a website or when downloading software.[7] Encryption, scrambling of expressive material and embedding of a tag, which is designed to control access and reproduction of information, including backup copies for personal use.[8] DRM technologies enable content publishers to enforce their own access policies on content, such as restrictions on copying or viewing. "

But I suspect that will only lead to a discussion on what defines a "thing" . Now the above may be too broad, I dunno. But for me, if someone pays a fee , via specific hardware or software, to access certain elements of some content they have paid for then that seems to fit nicely into the wiki definition and also how MQA works.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor

levimax

Major Contributor
Are you saying the Warner label has agreed to make all of their music from some date forward only available on MQA?
Not just new music .... Warner replaced much of their back catalog on Tidal with MQA and removed the original versions. If they had left the original versions up I would not have an issue but they didn't so I moved to Qobuz.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
This is old, but it should give you an insight of how deep this goes: https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-and-warner-real-scoop
Isn't supply chain control one of the things MQA promises? I can see why Warner would sign.

You know, some of the reason that modern music is as popular as it is is because it can be readily copied. Gave a lot of access to people who had no means (regional income too low, no regional dealers) to pay for it legitimately, even if they wanted to. True for tape especially, and then digital media later on.

Taking the long view, the MQA hardware restrictions will be defeated and made available cheap through an add on box or the like, maybe some sort of emulation. In the short them they'll generate a lot of revenue given how people are consuming content these days. So I understand it.

In the early 2000s a lot of solo artists released music through free netlabels. Some still do but not many. I think there's been a shift over to using platforms for digital distribution rather than have labels to bear that cost. Those netlabel releases out of practicality were only made available on MP3. Some with quality as low as 96kbps because of server costs and so on. That's the only form in which that music is floating around now. Kind of sad. But then not really. At least you have the record.

The early media, like wax cylinders, were commercial releases from the outset. Back then they were competing against instrument makers and people singing and playing at home or going out. And radio too.
Not just new music .... Warner replaced much of their back catalog on Tidal with MQA and removed the original versions. If they had left the original versions up I would not have an issue but they didn't so I moved to Qobuz.
They are definitely exerting force, legal and otherwise, on access. MQA seems to have given them the means to do so through the supply chain model.

I keep coming back to what will happen to this in a decade or two. I'd rather have everything in WAV, or FLAC, personally. But with multichannel and immersive content being developed and there being serious storage and bandwidth issues because of the amount of channels, especially in streaming, I don't see compression disappearing (and FLAC is limited to 8ch). To some extent I see this situation mirrored in the commercial sphere, through SaaS companies. Control is guaranteed as long as the portal is in your hands. You don't own the thing. You can just use it.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all this. I just see a lot of similarities to other situations and commercial decisions. To some extent MQA mirrors the analog media you can't play without the right gear, and those quality compromised netlabel releases.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
nah, it's for free

First thread ban...

This is the kind of crap we aren't going to make room for.

You want to make an accusation like that, back it up, or don't make it.

Grooved

They certainly think about that for what they provide to Tidal, because I just checked three Warner last releases (a classical, a rock and a pop) on Qobuz and they are FLAC (if they were only MQA, it would be lile the 2L label files and be MQA on Qobuz too)

If MQA isn't DRM, why is it touted as "protecting the crown jewels"?
By convincing the label to not give the best master to the streaming provider and the customers. It's something he's always worked on, just like the patent link to the Pono player with different level of degredation, and certainly the higher being not the same than the original master.

I don't think that is true. Anton Rupert, a director at Richemont is also a director at MQA Limited, but otherwise the business filings of MQA don't indicate a business connection between Richemont and MQA.
Richemont was divided at one point, creating Reinet Investments SCA as second part, which is more link to MQA than Richemont itself.
It's funny that Anton Rupert Jr is director in Richemont (non-voting), Reinet and MQA as he seems to really love music, having been the source of a lot of complaints by his neighbors for late and loud music ;)

bboris77

You want to make an accusation like that, back it up, or don't make it.

I actually do agree with that in principle. When suggesting that someone is being bribed or paid off to do something based on appearances only with no evidence, it is very important to word your statement VERY carefully. Making clear accusations in such situations actually weakens your own argument and makes you sound like a conspiracy theorist. Unfortunately, there’s plenty of that going on these days. I think people partly visit these forums because it is a refreshing change to talk to a rational and logical group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom