• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel audio on a Pi will get a whole lot easier and cheaper!

Frunse

Made my Plan more Complete.

For Advices that help me making it better i would be Happy.

One question would be, can i use the MCFIFO+McDualXO also as an DATA Clock for that Motu Device to make something Better???
I Read on that DIYAudio Forum, Ian mentioned it that it could be used as an Masterclock for other Devices not sure he mean it that way.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...te-weapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/page-401

I am still reading it, now on page 401 from over 600... ;) My head still Burning...to Much Input

Robert

Attachments

• Full Plan.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

renne

Why does that matter? Performance isn't near 24 bit let alone 32. Expect performance similar to the DAC+ at a fair bit less than 4x the price.
I want to avoid an analogue volume control between DAC and power-amplifier.
So I'll keep testing with my four PCM1502A with 32-bit.

Frunse

Why does that matter? Performance isn't near 24 bit let alone 32. Expect performance similar to the DAC+ at a fair bit less than 4x the price.
I guess Rene want only 32 Bit DAC'S

On ADC it's matter more i guess then on an DAC.

24Bit >16milion of stepps between lowest and highest Level
32Bit > 4000Milion
64Bit > 1.8 10(19) Big Number! ;) Camiila works with 64Bit :)

Not sure you are able to heare the difference on an DAC Output 24 vs 32Bit Dynamic vise 24 Bit are very Good already

Robert

renne

I guess Rene want only 32 Bit DAC'S

On ADC it's matter more i guess then on an DAC.

24Bit >16milion of stepps between lowest and highest Level
32Bit > 4000Milion
64Bit > 1.8 10(19) Big Number! ;) Camiila works with 64Bit :)

Not sure you are able to heare the difference on an DAC Output 24 vs 32Bit Dynamic vise 24 Bit are very Good already

Robert
24-bit dynamic + 8-bit volume control = 32-bit ;-)

MCH

Major Contributor
I often say that hifiberry products are overpriced and mostly unnecessary but in this particular case i can only say, what else do you want for the price? let alone uniqueness

Frunse

24-bit dynamic + 8-bit volume control = 32-bit ;-)
i dont like Volumecontrol in Digital Domain at all ;) That why Relaisvolumecontrol after DAC is my Key to go ;)

But in my Case i feed in 32bit into the PI and CamillaDSP is transfere this to 64Bit calculate the Volume on this and gives out on the 24 Bit Dac dont think so this will be better on an DAC to made \o/

Also Foobar on an 64Bit Windows calculate the volume on 64Bit!!! ;) before the Dac'S

Robert

renne

Luckily everyone has a personal taste. :D
For now I'm planning to drive the power-amp in my Technics SA-TX50 directly with the DACs.
The pre-amp is way to noisy.

Frunse

Luckily everyone has a personal taste. :D
For now I'm planning to drive the power-amp in my Technics SA-TX50 directly with the DACs.
The pre-amp is way to noisy.
Yes SABRE Dacs have his Voumecontrol in Dac and its handy

Dont know why on Motu UL they Feed in only 24Bit but Internaly they work with 32Bit.
I guess 192kHZ with so many Channels at 32Bit is to Much for USB Transfere, anything like that.

Technics SA 50 is an oldscool Surround Amp without HDMI, nice.

But on Technical Information it says:
Fremdspannungsabstand: 70 dB (you are sure thats only the preamp and not the Poweramp also???
Gesamtklirrfaktor (halbe Leistung, 1 kHz, 6 Ohm): 0,03 %

I have an Onkyo TX5007 Monster lying around i used his Amps with an Mod without his HDMI/DSP Stage for my first Najda DSP Projekt befor i bought the Hypex Amps.
Works also fine no bad at all, but sucks lot of Wattage ;) from Powermains and got realy Hot.

THD+N is very Good on Hypex that why i bought them after i heard them the first Time ;)

I am not that guy that want to pay 10 times the Price for the last 5% Performance increase ;) so i am fine with them already long time and wil stay long time with them.

Robert

Attachments

• NC122mp THDN.jpg
    NC122mp THDN.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

renne

Technics SA 50 is an oldscool Surround Amp without HDMI, nice.

But on Technical Information it says:
Fremdspannungsabstand: 70 dB (you are sure thats only the preamp and not the Poweramp also???
Gesamtklirrfaktor (halbe Leistung, 1 kHz, 6 Ohm): 0,03 %
The pre-amp is hissing but the power-amp sounds fine and is quite fast and powerful.
It had to go for a Denon AV-Receiver because in 2016 I couldn't get HDMI-Signals to a DSP and HDMI-ARC was only stereo.
Would be great to have these VU-meters back. :D
In worst case I'll go for power-amp PCBs.

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning

phofman

BTW this is a good example where the RP1 MCLK output would get handy, avoiding the MCLK PLL in PCM5102A.

And if Hifiberry had waited a bit, they could have done it - two weeks ago the GPIO CLK support was merged to RPi 6.6 kernel.

Frunse

BTW this is a good example where the RP1 MCLK output would get handy, avoiding the MCLK PLL in PCM5102A.

And if Hifiberry had waited a bit, they could have done it - two weeks ago the GPIO CLK support was merged to RPi 6.6 kernel.

Hi, Does it mean i could use the Slave MCLK from MC_FIfo+MC Dualclock to use on the RPI5 as MCLK in to get better Jitter ?? As you know i am not an Expert
But Sounds very interesting.

And i have still the Question Open how to use my Settup also as an WORD Clock on the Motu Device if its possible?

Not sure now what kind of frequencies needed for that. need to readmore ;)

Need to look when it comes to Ubuntu....

Robert

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It's currently a public beta so they could still adopt that before production. I don't remember seeing any members from HifiBerry here, so maybe worth mentioning via their cmmunity site?

phofman

Does it mean i could use the Slave MCLK from MC_FIfo+MC Dualclock to use on the RPI5 as MCLK in to get better Jitter ??
I do not know exactly your intention. The MCLK pin can be configured as output - feeding your codecs, or as input - clocking RPi5 I2S IN/OUT interface being in master mode. If you need the RPi5 I2S as slave, it does not need any MCLK.

phofman

It's currently a public beta so they could still adopt that before production. I don't remember seeing any members from HifiBerry here, so maybe worth mentioning via their cmmunity site?
The PCM5102A autodetects the MCLK input and does not need any I2C configuration

The internal PLL is disabled as soon as an external SCK is supplied.
The device starts up expecting an external SCK input, but if BCK and LRCK start correctly while SCK remains at ground level for 16 successive LRCK periods, then the internal PLL starts, automatically generating an internal SCK from the BCK reference.
IMO all they need to do is to connect one of the GPCLKs to the SCK pins and configure the clock output in their overlay https://github.com/raspberrypi/linu...boot/dts/overlays/hifiberry-dac8x-overlay.dts , as discussed e.g. in https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=365761 . But of course trying so may reveal some other steps necessary to take.

Honestly, it's the vendor's job to track technology options :) Maybe the PLL vs. MCLK would make no measurable (let alone audible) difference.

Last edited:

Frunse

I do not know exactly your intention. The MCLK pin can be configured as output - feeding your codecs, or as input - clocking RPi5 I2S IN/OUT interface being in master mode. If you need the RPi5 I2S as slave, it does not need any MCLK.
Ah ok RPI 5 is Slave Mode and my RPI 4 is in Master but is before MC Fifo so i gues no need to feed in MCLK there.

The Boards still on his way cant wayt to get this Boards to play with ;)
Also ordered this Crystek CCHD-957Clocks not the Best but good and payable.

Robert

Last edited:

phofman

Ah ok RPI 5 is Slave Mode and my RPI 4 is in Master but is before MC Fifo so i gues no need to feed in MCLK there.
I am afraid I do not undestand your setup. Why do you need the FIFO? Do you combine RPi4 and RPi5?

Top Bottom