• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My trip down the memory lane of Singapore

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first visit to Singapore was in 1990 as an engineer cadet working onboard container ships. At that time the container port was in Tanjong Pagar which was great for going ashore as it was very close to the down town areas and there were plenty of eateries, shops etc within a short walk of the terminal gates. Later they extended the container port to Brani Island opposite Tanjong Pagar. In those days every berth was generally either occupied or a ship was in the process of berthing or departing. Then they moved the container port to Pasir Panjang, and now they are building the vast new mega-port at Tuas. I had a trip down memory lane this week and revisited my old haunts, it was sad to see the old Tanjong Pagar and Brani terminals so quiet and also the state of the old terminus of the Malaysia railway which used to be at Tanjong Pagar. The old container terminal has been kept open to provide additional yard capacity in the current exceptional market conditions of container shipping. The Malay rail link now terminates at Woodlands Checkpoint Station and the track has been removed and the old station is in a very sorry state. I always find something rather sad about abandoned railways.

Tanjong10.JPG

Tanjong9.JPG

Tanjong1.JPG

Tanjong2.JPG

Tanjong6.JPG

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is probably a private joke for anyone outside shipping, but it was uplifting to discover that even the old colonial regime favoured tramp shipping over liner shipping as evidenced by this 12lb gun being perfectly placed to open fire on container ships at Pasir Panjang......

Siloso22.JPG

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the first time I visited Singapore the MRT railway was very limited, now it's a huge island wide system and it is still growing. As Metro systems go it is one of the best metro systems in the world, I've no idea if there even is a 'best' and if there is I can't make such a claim as I haven't experienced all of them but I've used an awful lot around the world and none are better than the Singapore MRT. Trains are basic but kept immaculate, services are frequent and reliable and fares are cheap. We don't have a car here, it's a small island state, owning a car costs $$$$$$$$s because of the 'permit to buy' arrangement and in a small city state with one of the best public transport systems in the world there's not much point spending a fortune to drive a car.

MRT2.jpg
MRT4.JPG
MRT5.JPG

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the CBD where I work. It's true that 30 years ago this area was high buildings and a financial centre, but it's changed beyond all recognition.

CBD5.jpg

CBD11.jpg

Lion 2.jpg

Attachments

• CBD3.jpg
    CBD3.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 46

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent a couple of days there in 1995. I didn't get much of a river view, because the area surrounding the statue of Sir Stamford Raffles was fenced off, but did manage to browse the food offerings around Orchard Row, take a train ride, and pick up a few souvenirs. If I lived there, I think I might like to be more of an early-AM person in order to avoid the worst of the steam heat.

Has "kiasu" become a part of your way of thinking?

19950508 Singapore-10068.jpg

19950508 Singapore-10080.jpg

_DSC2132.jpg

Last edited:

luft262

Beautiful pictures! I've always wanted to go to Singapore. Maybe I'll get there someday!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first visit to Singapore was in 1990 as an engineer cadet working onboard container ships. At that time the container port was in Tanjong Pagar which was great for going ashore as it was very close to the down town areas and there were plenty of eateries, shops etc within a short walk of the terminal gates. Later they extended the container port to Brani Island opposite Tanjong Pagar. In those days every berth was generally either occupied or a ship was in the process of berthing or departing. Then they moved the container port to Pasir Panjang, and now they are building the vast new mega-port at Tuas. I had a trip down memory lane this week and revisited my old haunts, it was sad to see the old Tanjong Pagar and Brani terminals so quiet and also the state of the old terminus of the Malaysia railway which used to be at Tanjong Pagar. The old container terminal has been kept open to provide additional yard capacity in the current exceptional market conditions of container shipping. The Malay rail link now terminates at Woodlands Checkpoint Station and the track has been removed and the old station is in a very sorry state. I always find something rather sad about abandoned railways.

Where the tracks used to run has been gradually paved/landscaped to form a long walking trail that also diverts into a few hiking trails - have you explored them? Personally am partial to the northern end, which has been left essentially untouched and overgrown in stark contrast to much of this country.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where the tracks used to run has been gradually paved/landscaped to form a long walking trail that also diverts into a few hiking trails - have you explored them? Personally am partial to the northern end, which has been left essentially untouched and overgrown in stark contrast to much of this country.

Not yet no, but I will! One thing I want to do if walk along the remaining track bed of the old railway line to Jurong and see what is left, as I am a train enthusiast.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Visited several times in the 90s, had a big customer there. Logistics related, but mostly airfreight. From what I've seen since my last visit, things have changed a lot! No real desire to visit again, tho. Happy just seeing what I can of the western US....on the ground :)

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always found Singapore a bit clinical. Give me Hong Kong (well in the past) or Penang. Dirtier, grittier, but more alive for me.

Funnily enough that was always my view when I was younger. There used to be a certain sense of vibrancy and edginess about Hong Kong that Singapore lacks, and countries like Malaysia and Indonesia either side of Singapore have a diversity and geographical richness. However nowadays I value the things that make Singapore a bit clinical. It's very safe, clean, things just work and while officialdom can be very bureaucratic they generally apply the rules properly. And the city isn't a traffic jam. It may be an age thing but as I get older I value these things more.

CinDyment

Funnily enough that was always my view when I was younger. There used to be a certain sense of vibrancy and edginess about Hong Kong that Singapore lacks, and countries like Malaysia and Indonesia either side of Singapore have a diversity and geographical richness. However nowadays I value the things that make Singapore a bit clinical. It's very safe, clean, things just work and while officialdom can be very bureaucratic they generally apply the rules properly. And the city isn't a traffic jam. It may be an age thing but as I get older I value these things more.

I am not sure I will ever reach that point :)

Just don't make me go to Shenzhen again. Hate that place.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Always viewed Singapore like a giant US mall, HK more like a natural crazy city :) Both too humid for my tastes in any case.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always found Singapore a bit clinical. Give me Hong Kong (well in the past) or Penang. Dirtier, grittier, but more alive for me.

I don't disagree! Kuala Lumpur is nice too. Without straying too far into politics, the kleptocracy in Malaysia wishes it could be as ruthlessly efficient as Singapore. But the fact that they can't be as repressive as they'd like -out of incompetence - has also meant a more vibrant civil society and generally things feel a lot more organic.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I went to Singapore a few times as a kid, in the early 70s. All I remember is the cable car and the Tiger Balm Garden. Some depictions in there gave me nightmares :)

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the first time I visited Singapore the MRT railway was very limited, now it's a huge island wide system and it is still growing. As Metro systems go it is one of the best metro systems in the world, I've no idea if there even is a 'best' and if there is I can't make such a claim as I haven't experienced all of them but I've used an awful lot around the world and none are better than the Singapore MRT. Trains are basic but kept immaculate, services are frequent and reliable and fares are cheap. We don't have a car here, it's a small island state, owning a car costs $$$$$$$$s because of the 'permit to buy' arrangement and in a small city state with one of the best public transport systems in the world there's not much point spending a fortune to drive a car.

View attachment 198494View attachment 198495View attachment 198496

That's either Punggol or Sengkang area I believe or I could be mistaken. Agree with the Train system completely. Makes the NYC Subway and Los Angeles Metro system look like a complete Schiithole

I went to SG just last days of 2021 and beginning of 2022. Forgot to change the time zone to Bangkok on my camera, but it was about 10pm IIRC

SG.png

Holmz

Major Contributor
@JJB70 a very timely post.
I am trying to buy a preamp from a fellow in Singapore, and I might need to fly there to get it… from Perth.
(Likely in 3-4 weeks from now, if we can figure out to come to an arrangement.)

I’ve been there once overnight, and a few times at the airport transiting.

I am thinking about bringing the mrs and grabbing a guide like Lonely Planet, to come up with a vacation plan.
But I am receptive to suggestions ;)

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JJB70 a very timely post.
I am trying to buy a preamp from a fellow in Singapore, and I might need to fly there to get it… from Perth.
(Likely in 3-4 weeks from now, if we can figure out to come to an arrangement.)

I’ve been there once overnight, and a few times at the airport transiting.

I am thinking about bringing the mrs and grabbing a guide like Lonely Planet, to come up with a vacation plan.
But I am receptive to suggestions ;)

There's quite a lot to do and see, depending on how much time you will have a what you enjoy.

The civic district is nice with a few nice museums and galleries, and for audio the Adelphi mall next to the Parliament has a lot of audio shops. The big shopping area the tourists flock to is Orchard Road, though it tends to be a lot of expensive designer shops, Bugis close by is nicer if you don't want European designer boutiques. The Marine Bay area is worth seeing, the hotel itself and the shopping mall at the bottom isn't much to get excited about but it's an iconic sight and there are nice views of the CBD. The Gardens by the Bay and Sky Forest are quite impressive. One of my favourites is Fort Siloso, the last coastal defence fort.

The big thing in Singapore is the food culture. It's a nation of foodies and standards are very high, my advice is to go to the hawker cenres. These are the Singapore equivalent of street food, rather than street vendors they have food courts with all the vendors having stalls. Food can be exceptionally good and prices are cheap. The environment may be basic but you can eat better for a lot less than going into full service or fast food restaurants.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to Singapore a few times as a kid, in the early 70s. All I remember is the cable car and the Tiger Balm Garden. Some depictions in there gave me nightmares :)

Haw Par Villa, the tiger balm garden, is bizarre, well worth seeing but a strange place.

Top Bottom