• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD 50 Anniversary C 3050

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Very nice retro design externally, but loaded with features: Dirac, sub out, what I assume is very capable Hypex amplification inside, etc

I am no a fan of wood, but it'd be barely visible where I'd put it. I'll mull it over... :)

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can dig the VU meters, tone controls and especially the wood sides.
I grew up with a Technics from the 70's in the SA line in our house. If memory serves it was the SA-700 in the house, so there's some nostalgia there for me.

I do wonder if Hypex which modules. NAD's page says the UcD modules. Nothing wrong with those, I have a NAD C338 which uses some UcD module, though I think a lower power one. The C338 was around $500-$600 refurbished and I would question the value of something that's $2k (C 3050 LE price) on something with UcD modules.

Last edited:

Kachda

Forum Donor
I can dig the VU meters, tone controls and especially the wood sides.
I grew up with a Technics from the 70's in the SA line in our house. If memory serves it was the SA-700 in the house, so there's some nostalgia there for me.

I do wonder if Hypex which modules. NAD's page says the UcD modules. Nothing wrong with those, I have a NAD C338 which uses some UcD module, though I think a lower power one. The C338 was around $500-$600 refurbished and I would question the value of something that's $2k (C 3050 LE price) on something with UcD modules.
Unfortunately they seem to be using the older generation UcD amplifiers

Created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of NAD’s founding in 1972, the C 3050 LE limited-edition amplifier has a gorgeous retro design featuring a satin walnut sleeve, dual VU meters, push-button controls, and NAD’s 1970s cursive branding. Underneath the vintage exterior is a thoroughly modern amplifier with advanced capabilities such as BluOS high-res multi-room music streaming, Dirac Live room correction and NAD’s proven HybridDigital UcD amplifier design. To commemorate NAD’s founding year, production is limited to 1,972 units, each of them individually numbered on the back panel.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
seen it today in some news, it is kinda sexy, tho i'd personally prefer some darker wood

but it seems it attracted so many people that their official site's crashed :rolleyes:

Cote Dazur

Created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of NAD’s founding in 1972, the C 3050 LE limited-edition amplifier has a gorgeous retro design featuring a satin walnut sleeve, dual VU meters, push-button controls, and NAD’s 1970s cursive branding. Underneath the vintage exterior is a thoroughly modern amplifier with advanced capabilities such as BluOS high-res multi-room music streaming, Dirac Live room correction and NAD’s proven HybridDigital UcD amplifier design. To commemorate NAD’s founding year, production is limited to 1,972 units, each of them individually numbered on the back panel.
What is the non limited edition of that model?

Kachda

Forum Donor
What is the non limited edition of that model?
Don’t think they have one at present. But won’t be surprised if they launch one after the LE is sold out. Though I would have preferred they step up to hypex instead of ucd

dougi

A retailer told me there would be a non LE version next year. Pricing much cheaper too.

A pity, there isn’t a balanced XLR out. Could have used as preamp to replace my not so good tested, here, C658

Middle America

’Looks like $1299 without the Dirac and BluOS module according to WhatHiFi:

“A non-anniversary version, simply the C 3050, has also been developed and will go on sale next year for $1299 (AU$2199). It is a slightly different beast in that it forgoes the network streaming as standard, though BluOS and Dirac can be installed via the additional MDC2 module for an extra $549 (AU$700).”

dougi

’Looks like $1299 without the Dirac and BluOS module according to WhatHiFi:

“A non-anniversary version, simply the C 3050, has also been developed and will go on sale next year for $1299 (AU$2199). It is a slightly different beast in that it forgoes the network streaming as standard, though BluOS and Dirac can be installed via the additional MDC2 module for an extra $549 (AU$700).”
Yep that is the Oz price I was advised too. So effectively A$2899 vs A$3299, except there will be no ability to add another MDC2. Probably no great loss, given the BLUOS/DIRAC module is the only one currently available. For me, an MDC2 with mm/mc phono in and balanced pre-out would be good. No reason is there that a better ADC/DAC could not be offerred in the two-way MDC2?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yep that is the Oz price I was advised too. So effectively A$2899 vs A$3299, except there will be no ability to add another MDC2. Probably no great loss, given the BLUOS/DIRAC module is the only one currently available. For me, an MDC2 with mm/mc phono in and balanced pre-out would be good. No reason is there that a better ADC/DAC could not be offerred in the two-way MDC2?

I think the $400 differential has benefits. The stripped down unit forgoes a MDC2 slot and the lack of the LE badging. If I wanted one, I'd buy the LE version. And you get it sooner.

All you need is a pair of Wharefedale Lintons to complete the retro look/modern system.

dougi

I think the $400 differential has benefits. The stripped down unit forgoes a MDC2 slot and the lack of the LE badging. If I wanted one, I'd buy the LE version. And you get it sooner.

All you need is a pair of Wharefedale Lintons to complete the retro look/modern system.
Yep, that is what I'll have when it arrives!

Stump909

Found out about this too late. Only purchase option I can find is a place with a backorder line for hundreds over MSRP. The non-LE would be okay if it weren’t for the fact it’ll cost as much as the LE, with the feature module, and use a laminate finish over veneer.

dougi

Found out about this too late. Only purchase option I can find is a place with a backorder line for hundreds over MSRP. The non-LE would be okay if it weren’t for the fact it’ll cost as much as the LE, with the feature module, and use a laminate finish over veneer.
NAD pricing is a bit strange. For some reason I could, if I wanted to, pre-order next delivery of a C399 with DIRAC module for A$3299, same rough feature set as C3050 LE but better specced, and down from it's A$3999 original price.

OP
pablolie

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD pricing is a bit strange. For some reason I could, if I wanted to, pre-order next delivery of a C399 with DIRAC module for A$3299, same rough feature set as C3050 LE but better specced, and down from it's A$3999 original price.
The pricing clearly is targeted at Boomers (no judgment I am a borderline one) with $$$ to spend on their NAD nostalgia. I'd prefer it if it was a true Ncore or Purifi design at the price. NAD used to be a sweet disruptive $-for-performance value proposition, but now they clearly manage product line boundaries.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The pricing clearly is targeted at Boomers (no judgment I am a borderline one) with $$$ to spend on their NAD nostalgia. I'd prefer it if it was a true Ncore or Purifi design at the price. NAD used to be a sweet disruptive $-for-performance value proposition, but now they clearly manage product line boundaries.
To be honest I have difficulties agreeing with this… 100 Watts per channel. A well matured streaming interface and ressources, A Dac likely transparent, HDMI eArc, Dirac! a phono stage, 2 zones capabilities (speaker A speakers B), some extra analog inputs, sub out, VUs… 2 kilodollars! Heck how much would you have expected to pay? Do you know any other manufacturers that manage to offer such a package for cheaper?

Last edited:

DanTheMan

It’s beautiful! Hopefully we’ll get a review of this. I mean every car magazine reviews a Ferrari every now and then.

dougi

This seems to be still not be released yet, but the manual has finally been released. Still some unanswered questions after reading it though. Does it really have the "old-fashioned" links between ore-out and main in? It says so but no links in the pictures. Does it support multiple dirac profiles at once? The remote description implies yes, but how does it indicate which one is in use?

Someone who has used NAD dirac equipped products before might be able to answer another question. It comes with mic/usb adapter to use with the unit (plug into USB memoery port) for use with dirac. Can you still use a seperate mic with PC version of dirac live with it if you want to?

Bestmixtape

Does it really have the "old-fashioned" links between ore-out and main in? It says so but no links in the pictures.
I received my 3050 LE this morning. It does hav the links connecting Pre-Out to Main In.

Top Bottom