• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice for buying amp/dac for HD6XX!

Celty

Bought the HD6XX awhile back. I need to buy amp/dac combo or separately since I'm using these at my desk on my PC and my mobo isn't able to put out anywhere near enough to power these cans.

So any suggested amp/dac's for this headphone to really make it shine but not break the bank. I'm in Canada, so keeping the budget to 200-600ish? Am I even in the right ball park? It seems everyone has a different opinion and I have no basis on what to look for.

I'm outputting from my PC via DAC-UP (USB) so the DAC needs to have a USB in at least. I've been looking at the Schiit Stack, JDS, Topping DX7 Pro, THX 788/789, but I guess I need some guidance. Again trying to find something to make the HD6XX's shine.
You made an excellent choice for headphones, don't worry :)

OP
E

eXodus

You made an excellent choice for headphones, don't worry :)
Thanks, I took your advice and was looking at the stack you have, looks pretty top notch. I may follow suit since I don't yet know a ton about what's great when it comes to graphs/etc.

The best advice I found it actually from your thread back early Nov:
The beauty of all your choices is, you can't go wrong.

The only thing you should be thinking about is, looks, connection options, size preferences, build quality, and that's pretty much it.

I'm looking for USB in, XLR out so that eliminates the JDS Atom (No XLR out) with sound that's transparent.

CES is coming up, hoping some prices will drop on some older stuff :)

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Thanks, I took your advice and was looking at the stack you have, looks pretty top notch. I may follow suit since I don't yet know a ton about what's great when it comes to graphs/etc.

The best advice I found it actually from your thread back early Nov:

I'm looking for USB in, XLR out so that eliminates the JDS Atom (No XLR out) with sound that's transparent.

CES is coming up, hoping some prices will drop on some older stuff :)

Would this be okay?

Top Bottom