• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Monitor Advice for a Challenging Small Room

OP
cutmix

cutmix

Forum Donor
Given that you primarily use headphones, what are the loudspeakers for?
I use loudspeakers for several reasons: most importantly, they help mitigate ear fatigue during long sessions. They also allow for A/B testing mixes in a more open (though imperfect) environment, and are useful for non-critical tasks like editing and placing sound effects. This complements my headphone use and ensures a well-rounded production process, especially in an imperfect room.

mjgraves

The JBL hiss also. small Genelecs or Neumanns don't his, just like passive speakers don't hiss neighter. Hissing is mostly caused by using not well filtered cheap class D amplfiers in active speakers.
JBL 70x Series don't hiss.

Nor do my cheesy old M-Audio BX Series.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Yes that's a biggest issue in any small room so you put speakers to the wall behind them as the next best thing to do. In this case they are far from it and let it stay like that instead making a bigger problem out of it (ISO 3382-1 early-to-late arriving sound energy, problematic in lows particularly). And make direct one stand out more. A room mode refraction is always present and first fundamental and following two (it's harmonics in the large part) will remain the same if you rotate 180° it's length influenced. Again you do best you can and use it for reinforcement not killing it entirely but making energy brust (spectral in waterfal) there more in line with smaller other room influenced one's. You use combination of VBA with negative responses in FIR wav and then PEQ the rest (to 1~3 KHz as good you can and Q filter is relevant factor of 50) and if need be slope down highs future more. That's about it.
Edit: you can play with the phase after that but if done correct so far you won't mess impulse response (decay, pre ringing, mismatch between L & R as you do the match and both FIR and PEQ are done minimal phase...) in the first place so that's more mandatory or if such problems occurred.
If you think a room mode is worse than OP's current location of having side and rear walls 2' from his head, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the you are so close I fear JBL LSR 305s might have some hiss audible. What you need is some distance for several reasons. Is it feasible to do a ceiling mount of some good monitors out in the middle of the room? Or maybe a wall mount well up on the wall above the work bench and the opposite wall?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you think a room mode is worse than OP's current location of having side and rear walls 2' from his head, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.
Yes, first thing I told him is to put thick curtains on the window and wall behind him. Better him then speakers and literally described cuple times why. I don't know in what parallel universe you live where suddenly if you rotate position 180° side walls become more far away. If you ever read posts on the beginning you will realise he in any case doesn't want to be facing door with his back. By the way 2' is fine, it's not great or outstanding but it's good enough in given circumstances.

Top Bottom