• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann kh80+kh750+m1 vs. Neumann kh120ii+kh750+m1

eden.ekendahl

I recently heard a guy telling me there is no difference between the Neumann kh80+kh750+m1 set vs. the Neumann kh120ii+kh750+m1 setup. He told me that the kh80 speakers sound different on their own vs. the kh120ii but with the kh750 sub + m1 then it sounds the same. Could it be true? Then I would save a lot of money to go for the kh80 setup, but I just want the best.

Anyone here that has compared these two setups side by side or done some type of tests that shows some type of difference?

Since there is a difference in size and price I just assume there is atleast difference in cranking up volume without hearing as much distortion on the kh120ii, but is it the same?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I would not say this is true; the KH120 II has a substantially better woofer and has much lower distortion.

Abaxial

This is a function of desired listening distance and volume. Per Neumann, these are some recommended listening distances.

KH80: 0.5 - 1.0 meters
KH120: 1.0 - 2.0 meters
KH150: 1.0 - 2.5 meters

Figure out your listening position in the room, then use that to determine what's going to fit. Generally speaking bigger speakers are better, with less distortion and a better crossover, but only if you have enough space to work with. Smaller speakers like the KH80 are going to sound similar within their limitations. If you're working at modest volumes and in a compact space, then small speakers are the correct choice.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently heard a guy telling me there is no difference between the Neumann kh80+kh750+m1 set vs. the Neumann kh120ii+kh750+m1 setup. He told me that the kh80 speakers sound different on their own vs. the kh120ii but with the kh750 sub + m1 then it sounds the same. Could it be true? Then I would save a lot of money to go for the kh80 setup, but I just want the best.

Anyone here that has compared these two setups side by side or done some type of tests that shows some type of difference?

Since there is a difference in size and price I just assume there is atleast difference in cranking up volume without hearing as much distortion on the kh120ii, but is it the same?

I think it depends on the setup. If the KH80 is not being substantially taxed, I it's possible the lower distortion of KH120II won't be noticeable to you.

In my experience, distortion usually isn't a problem until it is. Where "it is" happens will depend on your setup. If you were using them in a near field setup, I'd be skeptical if most people could tell the difference. If you listen loud from 10+ feet away, that's a totally different story.

Top Bottom