• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New EX MACHINA ARCTURUS 3-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITORS

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Price is $25K
ex-machina-arcturus_203527_1.jpg
ex-machina-arcturus_203527_2.jpg
ex-machina-arcturus_203527_4.jpg
Screenshot_20230815_214041_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230815_214353_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230815_214406_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230815_214422_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230815_214434_Chrome.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
the weirdly asymmetric cone morphology of that midrange/treble thingy is makin' my brain hurt.
Maybe the cone material was cut according to the Mercator projection, I dunno.

1692125736726.png

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What means here "Impulse Response"?
I see an almost flatline. Dead speaker ?

Salt

Forum Donor
It was made by 92 old virgins from Harlem at midnight, that cut there underware into pieces, drowned them into epoxy and glued it together for an extraordinary, never seen and heard auditional experience.
Something of that, maybe.

Or the different point of view:
the different size and fibre-orientation of this puzzle may give some damping and dispersion of the inevitable resonances of the membrane.

I for myself would take second point of view.

the weirdly asymmetric cone morphology of that midrange/treble thingy is makin' my brain hurt.
Maybe the cone material was cut according to the Mercator projection, I dunno.

View attachment 306019

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Yes, but the material making up the cone in the image you linked is not so bizarrely sectioned as is the one in the "Arcturus 3"
And, no not everyone is using it. That would be hyperbole.
It's slang for being popular lately
Obviously not everyone in the world is using it :)

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
to have this kind of phase response in the low end with such sharp cut off they probably used linear phase filters. Impulse response shows significant pre-ringing, I never use it with low end as it's very easy to hear, wonder if it would be noticeable in them at least for someone who knows what to listen for

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I stand to be informed, educated, astonished or ...
What is special particular about this speaker? The claim that they use DSP to flatten .. everything? Perfect impulse response? What is so special about this speaker? or about about, several of the speakers you start thread about? ;)

Peace.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Hi

I stand to be informed, educated, astonished or ...
What is special particular about this speaker? The claim that they use DSP to flatten .. everything? Perfect impulse response? What is so special about this speaker? or about about, several of the speakers you start thread about? ;)

Peace.
It's just a new flagship in their line up, -3dB at 28Hz is quite impressive for a closed box. Sharp edges and external amp/dsp suggest flush mounting, they would loose a lot of appeal when used normally, as there's nothing in the design to fight SBIR and side diffraction from enclosure edges.
I always felt that this company is in a weird spot, they try to incorporate some less conventional design choices like their cone material and coaxial speaker, yet they lack real R&D to make it truly innovative like Genelec The Ones for example, or inexpensive like Neumanns on the other hand. So we get weird combination of rather unique membrane material but on a what's appear to be OEM Seas speaker, in a simple rectangular black box, stock woofers etc.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
So those frequency response graphs are nonsense.

montyliam

Aside from the obviously over-smoothed frequency response, are those join lines visible at the top and bottom of the cabinet (also visible in other pics)?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
to have this kind of phase response in the low end with such sharp cut off they probably used linear phase filters. Impulse response shows significant pre-ringing, I never use it with low end as it's very easy to hear, wonder if it would be noticeable in them at least for someone who knows what to listen for

Erin reviewed the smaller Pulsar which yielded the ff. step response:

1692238144295.jpeg

The low end might not exactly audibly "pre-ring"...

@KSTR briefly had this to say across at DIYAudio:

"... this appears to be a speaker where the natural phase response from the woofer highpass was corrected to linear phase which creates the point-symmetric step response.
That's a neat trick for speakers to have "fast bass" down low. The price you pay is that some signals (like certain kick drum sounds) may be rendered with audible artifacts. The rising slope in the time-domain is not ringing and does not sound like ringing, rather it sounds like pink noise pulse ramping up (very interesting acoustical illusion)."

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Erin reviewed the smaller Pulsar which yielded the ff. step response:

View attachment 306215

The low end might not exactly audibly "pre-ring"...

@KSTR briefly had this to say across at DIYAudio:

"... this appears to be a speaker where the natural phase response from the woofer highpass was corrected to linear phase which creates the point-symmetric step response.
That's a neat trick for speakers to have "fast bass" down low. The price you pay is that some signals (like certain kick drum sounds) may be rendered with audible artifacts. The rising slope in the time-domain is not ringing and does not sound like ringing, rather it sounds like pink noise pulse ramping up (very interesting acoustical illusion)."

Right, whatever it's called I would definitely not want something like that for monitoring. 45ms is pretty hardcore long latency as well, for studio work it means it's impossible to play on any electric/electronic instrument while listening through them, that's the reason there's low latency mode and you have to manually switch between them

Last edited:

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
This speaker has one of the lowest intermodulation tone distortions even lower than KEF highest classes. Therefore it should sound very "clean".
keep in mind the ex machina is using a 8'' woofer, also erin was talking about these spikes being measurements error, there is no reference IMD, erin sadly forgot that very important measurement
If you look at the noise floor, there is much lower at the machina pulsar measurements, even thought is very very close performance, the mid range from the machina pulsar seems to be cleaner than the kef, but again if you look at the KEF IMD and at the NOISE FLOW peak at the mid range they are related
Where the ex machina out perform for a little bit the r3m is in the 2k~ area, but the ex machina is the competitor for Reference 1 meta if not the normal reference 3?
Anyway, maybe the ''meta thing'' may mark a bigger difference than that already very low imd in both cases

Edit: the imd from the woofer of the Machina seems to be very similar to the KEF, thats bad for the machina because is a 8'', the R7M should have better IMD in that area ( x2 6.5'' => 8'')
MTON%20Full.png

1692254346487.png

Top Bottom