• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Fuses! Guaranteed to “totally transform” your listening experience.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"everything makes a difference, and you'll only experience it if you are open minded and try it in your system."

Unless your system is not resolving enough, or your music isn't good enough, or your ears aren't good enough, or...

Scienceguy

Hi:
I agree whole heartedly with "MattHooper" I had to edit my original message after reading many negative comments some have written in the name of "science"? This is directed at the "naysayers" in this discussion of which their are many who believe our "systems are not resolving enough or our music isn't good enough or our ears aren't good enough" ! How "righteous of thou"! There's MANY systems better than ours/yours - I know I've heard them I'm a professional studio musician, that is, if a "scientifically ( your term )" fully measured and set up mega buck monitoring system is good enough ( Victoria please take note maybe you should really try a new fuse not the "short one" you've been using ).

Curious as to why this should bother them so much - are they the "absolute - all knowing" if so I envy them. If someone hears an "improvement" as a result of changing fuses, power cords, inter-connects etc, it's not your money being spent and I know "they'll" find this very hard to swallow but some things are not "measurable". I've learned this true hard fact from studying physics and chemistry at university that measurements are not nearly sophisticated enough at this point to account for the vast number of minut variants we're hearing and having to deal with. Having done studio work for many years I've learned sound can change and improve with ancillary changes. Doing this work requires that you HAVE to trust your ears. There's a saying in the studio "if it sounds good it is good" which I've taken to heart in my personal hi-fi system as such your ears are always the final judge and never a piece of "scientific" gear. You should try it sometime you may be pleasantly surprised - trust your ears it's guaranteed to reduce anxiety. This is the only "solid evidence" that's required in the studio which in turn creates the great sounding music that's uplifting and that which we can enjoy from our fine systems on a daily basis. Try to embrace diversity whether or not "you" can actually hear a difference after all "we're" not trying to please you just ourselves. So for those of us who like experimenting with change there should be, and hopefully so - no condemnation from "you" for doing so.

Thank you for, hopefully, your understanding, acceptance of diversity and your tolerance for such, it can lead to a better world - really.
Scienceguy,
Peace .... :)

Last edited:
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi:
Curious as to why this should bother you so much - are you the "absolute - all knowing" if so I envy you. If someone hears an "improvement" via changing fuses, power cords, inter-connects etc, it's not your money being spent and believe me some things are not "measurable". I've learned this hard fact from studying physics and chemistry at university that measurements are not nearly sophisticated enough at this point to account for the vast number of minut variants we're having to deal. I've done studio work for many years and sound can change with ancillary changes no doubt. There's a saying in audio and the studio "if it sounds good it is good" which I've taken to heart maybe you should try it. Try to embrace diversity whether or not "you" can actually hear a difference after all "we're" not trying to please you. So for those of us who like experimenting with change there should be, and hopefully so - no condemnation from you for doing so.
Thank you for, hopefully, your understanding, acceptance of diversity and your tolerance for such, it can lead to a better world - really.

Let’s not dress this up as “diversity”, please.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've learned this hard fact from studying physics and chemistry at university that measurements are not nearly sophisticated enough at this point to account for the vast number of minut variants we're having to deal.

I would love to hear who your professors were - I would like to hear why they didn't fail you.

Could you please change your handle/nick to something reflecting reality?

Scienceguy

So sorry if the word "diversity" in audio makes you uncomfortable but why assume that if measured and favourable it must necessarily be good - ones hearing should be THE final judge. Ask yourself can something measure well and not sound particularly good? Don't you agree that if we take our ears out of the equation we'd be doing our selves a great disservice. I would never purchase anything no matter how good it measures unless I can hear it for my self. I've known people who've bought purely on "spec" alone and have been disappointed. All I'm saying is don't knock it 'till you've tried it I consider both measurements and listening for system compatibility but "listening" is always the final and definitive test. This is how I've assembled my personal home system and it gives me hours of studio quality pleasure and relaxation.
Thanks,
The Scienceguy!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi:
I agree whole heartedly with "MattHooper" I had to edit my original message after reading many negative comments some have written in the name of "science"? This is directed at the "naysayers" in this discussion of which their are many who believe our "systems are not resolving enough or our music isn't good enough or our ears aren't good enough" ! How "righteous of thou"! There's MANY systems better than ours/yours - I know I've heard them I'm a professional studio musician, that is, if a "scientifically ( your term )" fully measured and set up mega buck monitoring system is good enough ( Victoria please take note maybe you should really try a new fuse not the "short one" you've been using ).

Curious as to why this should bother them so much - are they the "absolute - all knowing" if so I envy them. If someone hears an "improvement" as a result of changing fuses, power cords, inter-connects etc, it's not your money being spent and I know "they'll" find this very hard to swallow but some things are not "measurable". I've learned this true hard fact from studying physics and chemistry at university that measurements are not nearly sophisticated enough at this point to account for the vast number of minut variants we're hearing and having to deal with. Having done studio work for many years I've learned sound can change and improve with ancillary changes. Doing this work requires that you HAVE to trust your ears. There's a saying in the studio "if it sounds good it is good" which I've taken to heart in my personal hi-fi system as such your ears are always the final judge and never a piece of "scientific" gear. You should try it sometime you may be pleasantly surprised - trust your ears it's guaranteed to reduce anxiety. This is the only "solid evidence" that's required in the studio which in turn creates the great sounding music that's uplifting and that which we can enjoy from our fine systems on a daily basis. Try to embrace diversity whether or not "you" can actually hear a difference after all "we're" not trying to please you just ourselves. So for those of us who like experimenting with change there should be, and hopefully so - no condemnation from "you" for doing so.

Scienceguy,

I assume this is directed at my post right above yours. There is a wealth of research on audio perception (and bias) and the effects due to changing a fuse should be easily measurable. It's not magic and the resolution and performance of things like the AP and other test equipment greatly exceed our hearing ability. Try a blind test and see if you can hear when a fuse is changed. In all the years I played and worked in studios I do not recall the issue of what fuse any of the equipment used being raised. I have heard changes with cables and measurements revealed why -- usually frounding or noise rejection changed.

If people have the money and think they can hear a difference with a multi-thousand dollar fuse that is their choice. I really doubt they would pass an ABX test. My objection to this and other audiophile marketing is that it takes away money from people who really cannot afford it and would be better served focusing on changing other aspects of their system instead. I would rather try to sway the opinions of the ignorant who've been sold up the river (literally) by clever marketing that there actually is science and engineering and it does apply even to their ancillary products.

FWIWFM your post is somewhat the antithesis of "understanding, diversity, and tolerance", and I somehow doubt an expensive fuse will lead to a better world for anyone but the seller.

Whatever - Don

Scienceguy

So sorry if the word "diversity" in audio makes you uncomfortable but why assume that if measured and favourable it must necessarily be good - ones hearing should be THE final judge. Ask yourself can something measure well and not sound particularly good? Don't you agree that if we take our ears out of the equation we'd be doing our selves a great disservice. I would never purchase anything no matter how good it measures unless I can hear it for my self. I've known people who've bought purely on "spec" alone and have been disappointed. All I'm saying is don't knock it 'till you've tried it I consider both measurements and listening for system compatibility but "listening" is always the final and definitive test. This is how I've assembled my personal home system and it gives me hours of studio quality pleasure and relaxation.
Thanks,
The Scienceguy!
I assume this is directed at my post right above yours. There is a wealth of research on audio perception (and bias) and the effects due to changing a fuse should be easily measurable. It's not magic and the resolution and performance of things like the AP and other test equipment greatly exceed our hearing ability. Try a blind test and see if you can hear when a fuse is changed. In all the years I played and worked in studios I do not recall the issue of what fuse any of the equipment used being raised. I have heard changes with cables and measurements revealed why -- usually frounding or noise rejection changed.

If people have the money and think they can hear a difference with a multi-thousand dollar fuse that is their choice. I really doubt they would pass an ABX test. My objection to this and other audiophile marketing is that it takes away money from people who really cannot afford it and would be better served focusing on changing other aspects of their system instead. I would rather try to sway the opinions of the ignorant who've been sold up the river (literally) by clever marketing that there actually is science and engineering and it does apply even to their ancillary products.

FWIWFM your post is somewhat the antithesis of "understanding, diversity, and tolerance", and I somehow doubt an expensive fuse will lead to a better world for anyone but the seller.

Whatever - Don

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks,
The Scienceguy!
The word is fine. The way you use it to dress up your point of view with a moral valence is annoying. Nobody here has a problem with your preferences, but there are a lot of problems with the following false notions you seem to be pushing:

-we don’t know how to measure things that sound different (we do)
-we should try everything, no matter how improbable, unscientific, or crackpot the idea

I just finished pointing out on another thread that if we don’t use Bayesian reasoning based on science to decide where we allocate our precious time, we’d spend our entire lives trying fancy cables, bricks, and other snake oil and none left to enjoy our own systems. “Don’t knock it ‘til you try it” is objectively bad advice, and *very often* used by morally questionable vendors as a last ditch effort to sell something that doesn’t have an otherwise compelling use case.

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, sorry, it was, so I deleted my post.

I was trying to link to Scienceguy's post history here, which shows nothing but borderline-troll behavior, and even moderators saying as much.

Thanks. If nothing else, it gives you a chance to refine your replies to the same old specious arguments.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should I change my nickname to "goldenearguy" and go trolling subjectivist audiophile sites?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi:

Scienceguy,
You’ll find that like the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket, ASR will not stand for bigotry in the forums, all un-evidenced propositions are equally worthless here.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi:
I've learned this true hard fact from studying physics and chemistry at university that measurements are not nearly sophisticated enough at this point to account for the vast number of minut variants we're hearing and having to deal with.

Why not? What physical principles do we not yet understand? Since you seem to be the science guy you'll probably have no problem illuminating us about these things?

Having done studio work for many years I've learned sound can change and improve with ancillary changes. Doing this work requires that you HAVE to trust your ears. There's a saying in the studio "if it sounds good it is good" which I've taken to heart in my personal hi-fi system as such your ears are always the final judge and never a piece of "scientific" gear.

That is where you go wrong! When you are in a studio, or even building an instrument, then indeed "if it sounds good, it is good". It's art, and therefore totally subjective. Not so much when you start listening to it. Then you want to experience what the maker intended in the best possible way. If you buy a painting at an art gallery, you surely would not start adding your own colours to it? As an artist, I would be quite outraged.

But none of this is actually the issue here. The issue is claiming superlative differences where there cannot possibly be any (except for psychoacoustics), and then dragging along countless gullible people in spending money on this crap. This is obviously fueled by the companies selling this crap, and the magazines reviewing it. Don't dare call this diversity, it's just borderline criminal!

Scienceguy,

I guess you also think homoeopathy is science? If not, I'd like to know what you think makes it any different to your claims?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Curious as to why this should bother them so much - are they the "absolute - all knowing" if so I envy them. If someone hears an "improvement" as a result of changing fuses, power cords, inter-connects etc, it's not your money being spent and I know "they'll" find this very hard to swallow but some things are not "measurable"

It's also apparently not demonstrable when controls are in place. Once someone demonstrates any of this in a way that isn't a simple anecdote based on sighted unmatched listening, this entire site will pay attention. Until then, this consistent insistence on how right you are and how wrong we are has gotten old. You dig up a year old thread to troll like this?

Maybe a week off can help... If you aren't going to add to the forum, don't bother trolling it.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...but be too subtle to distinguish in a blind test. But my wife heard it from the kitchen.

Naturally, a fight breaks out in the thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/something-for-the-fuse-guys/post?postid=1809190

I swear, Audiogon gets crazier by the day, with Kait and Teo as the ringleaders.

Thanks for this link. I remember reading the thread at the time, and I just read it again. I honestly think it should be printed out on parchment and preserved forever in the Smithsonian. It's such a perfect, concise encapsulation of 2020s-style audiophile BS, delusion and desire - so much so that it almost feels fake ... as if a great screenwriter had been tasked with illustrating it. Everything is there ... the tropes, the smugness, the joyous abandonment of every kind of commonsense. Priceless.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...but be too subtle to distinguish in a blind test. But my wife heard it from the kitchen.

Naturally, a fight breaks out in the thread.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/something-for-the-fuse-guys/post?postid=1809190

I swear, Audiogon gets crazier by the day, with Kait and Teo as the ringleaders.

I haven't seen Kait over there in at least 2 months, don't know if he quit or was banned. Their new favorite fun toy is some kind of ethernet filter, ENO something or other. They're even selling their Etherregen switch because this ENO thing is light years better. The new toy on the block. It's not possible to reason with a lot of them.

Top Bottom