• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico M7 speakers

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
What speakers that costs less than the M7 has the same or better performance? (Measurements , SPL capabilities etc)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What speakers that costs less than the M7 has the same or better performance? (Measurements , SPL capabilities etc)
Perlisten S7t with subs to name one that has similar aesthetics

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For example the 8381 which am sure not only measure better but also offer significantly higher performance in real rooms due to the way the can handle the modal issues.

Sokel

Master Contributor
For example the 8381 which am sure not only measure better but also offer significantly higher performance in real rooms due to the way the can handle the modal issues.
Which would end up at the same cost with nice looking cabinets like the Magicos I suspect.

(well ok,not $300k but upwards of the $100k mark)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which would end up at the same cost with nice looking cabinets like the Magicos I suspect.
I doubt its price would more than triple(!) for that and even if, as said, the Genelec have still better performance and also include amplification.

Blockader

(well ok,not $300k but upwards of the $100k mark)
You seem to be forgetting that each 8381 speaker contains a 6000W amplifier, resulting in a total of 12000 watts of amplification for a pair. To achieve similar loudness levels with Magico speakers, you would need comparable amplification.
The 8381 speakers can reach significantly higher SPLs, especially when complemented by subwoofers that match with the output of the compression driver, potentially reaching up to 135 dB average for normal music.
Additionally, the 8381 speakers offer superior pattern control, effective room integration, and can easily be incorporated into a 22.2 system if necessary, thanks to the GLM.

Magico essentially offers fancy drivers, which perform comparably to those priced between $80 and $200 each, housed in an aluminum box. This is complemented by substantial marketing hype, promoting technology from the 1970s as a game changer.

Magico essentially offers buyers a way to distinguish themselves from the middle class, maybe allowing them to feel superior to those who may have previously mocked them in the past. Essentially, these products serve as tools for ego gratification, catering to people with fragile egos who struggle to manage their misguided narcissism. Indeed, there's a market for that as well, and Magico seems to be effectively filling that niche. However, comparing Magico's speakers, which rely on overglorified, overhyped, and marketing-inflated technology from the 70s, to state-of-the-art models like the 8381, is a bit... ehh. I don't know what to call it. But you got my point.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

The aesthetic appeal of Veblen goods like these Magicos isn't just the superficial appearance (which I do prefer to the trypophobic big Genelec box personally) but the unshakeable impression that they are carved out of solid money.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Magico essentially offers buyers a way to distinguish themselves from the middle class, maybe allowing them to feel superior to those who may have previously mocked them in the past. Essentially, these products serve as tools for ego gratification, catering to people with fragile egos who struggle to manage their misguided narcissism.

That. And also for people who just like well-made objects and lack budget restrictions.

Sokel

Master Contributor
You seem to be forgetting that each 8381 speaker contains a 6000W amplifier, resulting in a total of 12000 watts of amplification for a pair. To achieve similar loudness levels with Magico speakers, you would need comparable amplification.
The 8381 speakers can reach significantly higher SPLs, especially when complemented by subwoofers that match with the output of the compression driver, potentially reaching up to 135 dB average for normal music.
Additionally, the 8381 speakers offer superior pattern control, effective room integration, and can easily be incorporated into a 22.2 system if necessary, thanks to the GLM.

Magico essentially offers fancy drivers, which perform comparably to those priced between $80 and $200 each, housed in an aluminum box. This is complemented by substantial marketing hype, promoting technology from the 1970s as a game changer.

Magico essentially offers buyers a way to distinguish themselves from the middle class, maybe allowing them to feel superior to those who may have previously mocked them in the past. Essentially, these products serve as tools for ego gratification, catering to people with fragile egos who struggle to manage their misguided narcissism. Indeed, there's a market for that as well, and Magico seems to be effectively filling that niche. However, comparing Magico's speakers, which rely on overglorified, overhyped, and marketing-inflated technology from the 70s, to state-of-the-art models like the 8381, is a bit... ehh. I don't know what to call it. But you got my point.
Agreed but the price of the drivers.
As long as I have looked around can't find decent 12" ,4-5" voice coil ones for under 500 euro.
I'm talking about ones starting from good 30's and that you can cross relatively high,at 400-500Hz with really low distortion.
Sub's,I'll pass,good 30's are enough for me,no HT and only classical,I like the baritones sound humane,I never heard such in a system with subs other than studios.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That. And also for people who just like well-made objects and lack budget restrictions.
Another aspect often not visible,is that in most cases the real cost of speakers (or objects at that price) is next to zero depending the buying structure (hint,purchases are always near December and it's not because of Christmas)

Yes,it's not my bad English,they cost these people less than the bookshelves a person buys with ordinary ways.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
Top Bottom