• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Neumann NDH30 coming

OP
T

tknx

Where? I looked on Reddit didn’t see any post about the NDH besides the bad unit one.

What I want to know is if there is a newer competitor to the 800s anywhere to be had. I refuse to buy Focals and Hifiman because of the constant QA issues they have and the 800s just aren’t usable without EQ IMO so I was hoping these would be the next step.

KehaDNb

Where? I looked on Reddit didn’t see any post about the NDH besides the bad unit one.

What I want to know is if there is a newer competitor to the 800s anywhere to be had. I refuse to buy Focals and Hifiman because of the constant QA issues they have and the 800s just aren’t usable without EQ IMO so I was hoping these would be the next step.
It’s coming

wisechoice

To be clear: It's averaged across both channels of unit 2 and the left channel of unit 1.
The right channel of unit 1 was deemed an outlier and was not included in the averaging.

Thanks, that's sort of what I assumed, but I wasn't going to say it.

kopczas

I`ve been using them since Monday. Had high hopes for these but after letting them play music for 50hs straight my enthusiasm is going under.
This elevation in graphs at around 2-3khz make them sound like noise then it`s getting hot in music. Fuzzed guitars on left or right side, starts dominating the scene so everything else sounds like was distorted somehow (drums, cymbals, vocals, bass). Some sounds that I know should be there, are just gone under the fuzz.
Panorama feel is amazing, 3D way. But, when it gets hot, there`s one big confusion, just hard to stand noise. It`s strange for studio monitor HPs.
It`s just awful. Ear bleeding characteristic.
For acoustic music, classical, these are great.

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so can anyone confirm this ndh30 is just another revision of some sennheiser headphones? I know identical measurement does not mean identical sound perception, but it is still a bit too similar for me to not think that ndh30 is just hd400pro or hd560s in a different shell, especially when we know that those two companies are related.

kopczas

Oh, and one more thing:
someone posted measurements which showed that there is major difference between L and R channel. Unfortunately NDH30 are very sensitive for head positioning and what is even more unfortunate there is a lot of space to put them incorrectly. So put them imperfectly on measuring stand and there will be mismatch.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Oh, and one more thing:
someone posted measurements which showed that there is major difference between L and R channel. Unfortunately NDH30 are very sensitive for head positioning and what is even more unfortunate there is a lot of space to put them incorrectly. So put them imperfectly on measuring stand and there will be mismatch.
oratory1990 posed measurements of a defective NDH30 unit where one side was 2dB more sensitive than the other. It was not due to headphone placement on his KEMAR. The headphone was just broken:
20220908_135231.jpg
He received a second unit and that one was fine:
Neumann_NDH-30_all_units.png

oratory1990

Reviewer
Oh, and one more thing:
I did not notice a big change in results depending on the positioning on the head. As is expected from an open-back headphone.

The difference between left and right channel that I measured on the first unit was not caused by a difference in placement (I always measure multiple times, changing the position of the headphone slightly in between).

I received a second unit shortly after which did not exhibit such a channel imbalance.

kopczas

Never the less, it`s a bummer that independent measurements are that different then manufacturers data.

After EQ`ing this massive bump around 4,5Khz down by 3-4db makes NDH30 quite different product.
I wonder if Neumann send some units with different EQ to first reviewers cause every of those review are built on statement how no harshness is present. Well, 4-6 khz is where all harsh and unpleasant sounds appear. Elevating this region makes product far from natural and neural.

oratory1990

Reviewer
Never the less, it`s a bummer that independent measurements are that different then manufacturers data.

After EQ`ing this massive bump around 4,5Khz down by 3-4db makes NDH30 quite different product.
I wonder if Neumann send some units with different EQ to first reviewers cause every of those review are built on statement how no harshness is present. Well, 4-6 khz is where all harsh and unpleasant sounds appear. Elevating this region makes product far from natural and neural.
I did not get a cherry-picked unit from Neumann, I got mine directly from a retailer, a user organised the shipment.

I did also come up with an EQ setting (see attachment)

Attachments

• Neumann NDH 30.pdf
    416.2 KB · Views: 351

kopczas

This is nice.
To my taste juice that comes from nonEQ sound make them "fun" so I would keep it, just removing 4-6khz bump. You`re EQ makes everything crazy clear, it`s also fantastic.
I guess I will return Neumanns anyway since it`s too much trouble to switch between HP and speakers settings in my system.

nid

This is nice.
To my taste juice that comes from nonEQ sound make them "fun" so I would keep it, just removing 4-6khz bump. You`re EQ makes everything crazy clear, it`s also fantastic.
I guess I will return Neumanns anyway since it`s too much trouble to switch between HP and speakers settings in my system.

Hi. I am a recording engineer and I have the NDH30 for a couple of weeks now. I've used them only for a classical ensembe quick mix so far but found out that the actions the headphones lead me into were in the right direction, so that's a very good thing. Before purchasing I had made a direct A/B comparison to the Sennheiser HD650 and found out that they sounded very similar. I didn't like the HD650 mostly because I found the low range a bit slow or one could say muddy. The tonality of the Neumann sounded overall a bit more familiar to me, a person working entirely with high end studio monitors (Barefoot, Amphion, K&H).

A few days ago I used Oratory's previously posted EQ settings for the NDH30. It makes them really good and more pleasant for listening to any kind of music. The sound is super familiar to me (let's call it "flat"). So well done there. But I still believe that as a sound engineer you can use these headphones as they are without any EQ and they will push you to tighter mixes, although I don't think I would rely 100% on them nor any headphone in general. For the initial mix sculpting I think they are super helpful. As you said they are great for classical music and that was the main reason I got them. I haven't tried on any pop/rock yet.

ps. the 4-6khz bump is actually a crucial part of the Harman curve and shouldn't be considered as an unnatural element. Maybe your ears are over sensitive in that range.

Vitali

so can anyone confirm this ndh30 is just another revision of some sennheiser headphones? I know identical measurement does not mean identical sound perception, but it is still a bit too similar for me to not think that ndh30 is just hd400pro or hd560s in a different shell, especially when we know that those two companies are related.
I specifically bought the HD 560S to compare with the NDH 30. So, despite the fact that the so-called measurements promise an almost identical sound with the NDH 30, in my opinion this is not at all the case. Especially in the sub-bass and bass, and in the high-frequency range too. And I don't understand the rave reviews for the HD 560S. They are easy to bring to overload and distortion even from the smartphone LG V60.
Yes, and comparing them with the HD 650 is also not serious. In general, my opinion has not changed, Neumann NDH 30, at least for me and at this stage, sounds better than the HD 650 (6XX), not to mention the HD 560S.

Attachments

• 20220922_223852_HDR_(1).jpg
    20220922_223852_HDR_(1).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 112

staticV3

Master Contributor
So, despite the fact that the so-called measurements promise an almost identical sound with the NDH 30, in my opinion this is not at all the case.
Here are oratory's measurements:
oratory1990 HD560S vs NDH-30.png
"Almost identical" doesn't apply imo. The differences 700Hz and up are easily audible.

Top Bottom