• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New wideband compression driver - Celestion Axi2050 (300-20K, no crossover)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is also rated at 150 watts, which at 108dB for one watt - well you do the math. Using this at home would be a bit like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail in the wall. :rolleyes:

So 130dB at 128w if my math is correct (+3dB for every doubling of power.)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So 130dB at 128w if my math is correct (+3dB for every doubling of power.)
Yes, and that 130dB is just for those frequencies above 300Hz - add in woofers and subwoofers and we're talking serious ear damage potential!

AudioGuruJax

Forum Donor
So basically with this driver and the matching horn from Celestion, you got a basically plug and play system MMMMM!

Manufacturing steps:

1 - Buy the Drivers and the horns
2 - Bolt the Driver to the horn
3 - Wire the driver to your amplifier
4 - Enjoy!

No crossover design no box no nothing! is even simpler than even full range open baffle drivers LOL drivers since you don't need to build a baffle.

All you need is something to take care of everything bellow 300hz, in m y case I already have a pair of huge custom made, 400 pounds, open baffle H-frame bass towers with (4) Acoustic elegance Dipole 15 in each tower, 1Ncore2000 amp per tower and fully DSP with a Danville Signal Unit

I was thinking that I could take the Celestion driver and the horn and mount it on the side of my bass towers and mirror the other side, similar to Acapella Audio Arts Campanile 2 or the Tune Audio Anima Speakers, it will be something different and I could switch between my GT Audio Planar Speakers and the DIY Crossover less Acapella LOL for less that $3K.

IMG_2560.jpg

Campanile_MK_II.jpg

dsc03289.jpg

SpaceMonkey

So basically with this driver and the matching horn from Celestion, you got a basically plug and play system MMMMM!

Manufacturing steps:

4 - Enjoy!

No crossover design no box no nothing! is even simpler than even full range open baffle drivers LOL drivers since you don't need to build a baffle.

All you need is something to take care of everything bellow 300hz, in m y case I already have a pair of huge custom made, 400 pounds, open baffle H-frame bass towers with (4) Acoustic elegance Dipole 15 in each tower, 1Ncore2000 amp per tower and fully DSP with a Danville Signal Unit

I was thinking that I could take the Celestion driver and the horn and mount it on the side of my bass towers and mirror the other side, similar to Acapella Audio Arts Campanile 2 or the Tune Audio Anima Speakers, it will be something different and I could switch between my GT Audio Planar Speakers and the DIY Crossover less Acapella LOL for less that $3K.

View attachment 131196

View attachment 131200

View attachment 131201
How do you like GT Audio planars?

My biggest concern with high sensitivity drivers is that they can hiss with bad amps. Plus distortion on most amps is not that great.
I am wondering if one can use headphone amps instead :) . After all approx 1-10 watts is all that's needed.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Manufacturing steps:

4 - Enjoy!

View attachment 131196

View attachment 131200

View attachment 131201

Hello @AudioGuruJax,

I am also interested in your post here, to which I referred recently in my post here.
Would you please allow me asking you, which Danville DSP unit are you using?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
How do you like GT Audio planars?

My biggest concern with high sensitivity drivers is that they can hiss with bad amps. Plus distortion on most amps is not that great.
I am wondering if one can use headphone amps instead :) . After all approx 1-10 watts is all that's needed.
As long as a headphone amp can drive an 8 ohm load comfortably, there's no reason you couldn't do that. From what I've seen however, many headphone amps have problems with impedance that low. I've used a small tube amplifier intended for speakers and padded the output down for headphone use.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You still need a crossover. You shouldn't pump bass into this driver.

I've got a 3-way with sealed-back mids & tweeters (pretty common). I think the low-mid crossover is about 500Hz but of course the woofer still needs a box.

I remember "full range" PA/paging horns that were used without a crossover but they were mainly used for voice (at relatively-low wattage) and never for "high quality" music. Occasionally you still see these.

Ro808

... and that LF enclosure would have to be gigantic to blend with the efficiency of the Celestion driver. This driver and its implied horn and LF enclosure would probably even be overkill for a large movie theater. A live rock concert PA system would be perfect for it.

Depends on what you consider 'gigantic'. It certainly won't be as compact as the average MOR high-end column speaker.

Something like this will suffice:

Orello Mk2_2.jpg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Depends on what you consider 'gigantic'. It certainly won't be as compact as the average MOR high-end column speaker.

Something like this will suffice:

View attachment 157614
Compression drivers (at least the professional ones) will always have far more efficiency than any direct radiator low frequency enclosures. Horn loading the LF driver helps a lot, but unless the LF horn is a big as a truck, the LF efficiency and especially LF extension is going to be lacking compared to the HF. The enclosure pictured would likely have good LF efficiency, but the tradeoff is LF extension.

Top Bottom