• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Nordost SuperFlatLine Speaker Cable Review

Rate this speaker cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 251 93.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.7%

• Total voters

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
At least it can be run under the carpet. Probably still needs cable risers though. The kids could run their Hotwheels cars over the humps. ;)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Yeah, we need to measure speaker impedance in a vacuum, just in case.

Few amplifiers can handle vacuum || 2.2µF, though.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I found this surprising, too. A velocity factor of 0.9 is unusually large for a cable of this construction. But who knows?
I also found it surprising so I looked at a Dipole Calculator site. The calculator assumes a velocity of 95% the velocity of light:

1686921477196.png

Compare the actual Antenna length to the ½ wavelength.

kklarqvist

I tried to find some technical information on this cable, and found this in their brochure:

View attachment 292620

At least some info on capacitance (31.8 pF/m) and inductance (0.394uH/m). This would make 111.3 ohm characteristic impedance. Cannot see the resistance parameter. I doubt their promoted "propagation delay = 91% speed of light".
I have not voted, because I miss "0" option, "designed as opposed to laws of physics".
The numbers are approximately consistent 1/sqrt(31.8pF/m*0.394uH/m)~283mm/ns~94%c0 and looking at the picture suggesting mostly air dielectric 91% speed of light is probably about right and also the inductance and capacitance numbers. Using two separated enameled transformer wires would probably get you to 99% the speed of light. (transformer wire was what I used in my early setups before I 'upgraded' to zip-cord).

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I definitely want a higher velocity factor. I don't want to wait around to hear my music.
The delay at C is around 1 nanosecond per foot. At 91% propagation that increases to 1.0989e-009 sec.

I'd hate to have to wait that extra 98 picoseconds to hear the music! It would just ruin the experience! LOL

Raticosa

Hahaha... another failure for Nordost... from a physical point of view, putting N conductors in parallel with a small gap between them and not twisting them makes the whole cable acting like a multiple loop antenna with N-1 loops, which can easily pickup the EMI environmental noise... same problem of "ground loop antenna" doubled for positive and negative conductors. So definitively a "food for fishes"...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I 'spose if somebody absolutely wants to run his cable under a rug, or glue it to a baseboard and paint over it so as to hide it, then maybe a flat cable would be useful, but Nordost or some other manufacturer has cheaper stuff than this that will obviously work every bit as well or perhaps even better at least for in wall use.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such a fad product!! I work with similar copper wire flat line cable in a highly complex automation system and it's the most fragile, noisy and least reliable cable. Heck the only job the flatline cable does is to run from one power amplifier box to another to power some robots and it still fails 70% of the time.

Top Bottom