• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Occasional popping sound when powering up and on Bluetooth, Loxjie A40

ThomasEdison

Hi all,

My first post here, but I've been a lurker for a few months, as I'm upping my stereo game and getting back into good quality stereo audio.

As a teen I used to get my dads old gear which was generally very decent and it lasted me well. But getting my own set up now, kind of budget level to get me started as I learn and understand what works for me, my gf and my apartment.

I bought a loxjie a40 amp and dac, and some meridian A500 speakers (second hand). I listened to a bunch of speakers and these seemed best to my ears. Am aware the room affects a lot and other variables changed, but my gf also liked them as they go well with our furniture... Gotta find a balance between form and function!

Anyway, my point and question. I've got everything wired up and started using the amp and speakers. And it sounds great, really truly amazing. Exactly what I was hoping for.

But I have some questions. Which i can't find answers for.

1. When I power on the amp from standby there is a tiny pop from the speakers. (when I power on using the proper switch on the back, this doesn't happen). Is this normal?

2. I get the same pop when I start and stop audio over Bluetooth. I connect the device, it pops, I play music it sounds great and fine and no other issues, when I pause it pops a few seconds later. (this is using my phone) I Bluetoothed my mac and it was popping and clicking all the time I had to stop using the mac on Bluetooth.

3. On one occasion, I switched my TV digital audio out from PCm to auto, whilst everything was turned on and I got a series of pops. Sounded nasty, quickly switched back to PCm enforced. It also made this series of pops when I turned it on once, haven't replicated it since.

On all these pops they are volume dependent, if the volume is set low they're quieter than if I turn it on with the volume high.

4. The amp also has a bunch of digital filters. I'm reading up on what these are supposed to do. But to my ears, it sounds like they're doing nothing. Is that a fault? Or are they just super subtle?

I run the TV into the amp over optical. I have a media center PC connected over USB for super hi res. I also have a soundbar that we use over arc, for daily use.

Posting in this forum as I am very much a beginner and wonder if these things I describe are bugs or features or the result of how I power things up.

For now, I make sure I turn the volume way down before I then it off. That minimises any load to the speakers it seems.

Otherwise the amp is amazing, love the natural, clear sound I'm getting. And really enjoying listening to music again.

Sure I'm sliding down the rabbit hole now.
Thanks all! Much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
T

ThomasEdison

Edit: Tonight I noticed i get a similar, but double pop when switching between headphone and speaker out.

Playback on headphones is also flawless.

MoWeListens

I have the Loxjie A40 and some KEF R3. I don’t hear any pops whatsoever. Digital or analogue in makes no difference as does standby or on/off switch.

Maybe you should get it replaced under warranty!

Beautiful AMP and my second Loxjie setup (from D10/A10/P20 to D40/A40/P20)! I really love their components!

Kayshot

I've got an A40 and noticed the same today, though it wasn't as much of a pop as it was a brief upper-mid scratch. I was listening to music over the optical input and accidentally turned my TV on. The TV is connected to the A40 via ARC. My input never switched from optical, but the scratchy sound happened right as I powered the TV on.

snappychop

For me, it is a static like noise on startup--when the display lights up. I also hear it sometimes in between tracks, using a Wiim Mini as an input. I have not tested any other inputs yet. For other reasons, I was considering selling it, but with this issue, a buyer would likely say it is defective. I guess I could disclose in the description though.

Top Bottom