• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto DAC8 update with DSP

wisechoice

This just arrived in my email inbox and looks very promising indeed:
Dear audio enthusiasts, it’s a pleasure to reach out again after too long a silence. We at Okto Research have been eagerly developing something special, and we couldn’t be more excited to share our latest innovations with you.
The email mentions they will be at the High End Munich exhibition on May 9th and 10th, and then:
The new v1.6 firmware is ready for release
We are excited to announce the release of the long-awaited v1.6 firmware. This update, postponed several times due to our effort to enhance its functionality, resolves previous compatibility issues with streamers and Raspberry Pi software and eliminates the clicks heard during transitions to or from DSD — a persistent challenge in earlier versions.

Furthermore, v1.6 introduces DoP support over SPDIF, AES/EBU, and TOSLINK, allowing direct connection of the dac8 Stereo and dac8 PRO to SACD players without intermediary conversion devices.
Please note: due to our focus on the upcoming Munich event, updates to our website including firmware download link will follow one week later.

AVDSP project adds DSP support to dac8 PRO and Stereo
Our friend and longtime collaborator, Fabrice Oudert (fabriceo), has developed the AVDSP — a versatile multi-platform DSP project. Recently, we've adapted AVDSP to support the dac8 PRO and Stereo, offering dedicated firmware that can be configured via USB from a host computer using a command line interface. This firmware enhances the dac8 devices by providing advanced DSP features such as a powerful mixer, biquad filters, delays, and mathematical operations. These capabilities allow for high-resolution audio processing up to 192 kHz without introducing SRC or measurable THD, perfect for embedded crossovers or room equalization.

The documentation and tools are available at project's Github, and any questions or support requests can be directed to the author at [email protected]. To obtain a copy for your unit, please read the Q&A and documentation on GitHub and send an email to the author with your product serial number and a description of your project.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very cool. I will try DSD playback again with Roon and/or HQP. The pops etc before made me give up.

Not really clear to me how to use the new dsp engine? But if filters/crossovers are within the okto, am i correct in thinking i can connect any 2 channel source to my multiway active setup?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Amazing.

The documentation outlining the process of programming the DSP can be found here:

This link got outdated, as the PDF was renamed.

The new version is still in the documents folder.

IMG_0162.jpeg

Top Bottom