• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Open Backed, Dynamic Headphone(s) - Opposite of my T60RP

I'm trying to find the other end of the spectrum to my T60RP Argon from ModHouse. I'm confused on what would be the opposite end of this spectrum.

An open back, dynamic from who?

What do you need from me to help narrow down an answer?

I have a TA-22 Tube Amp and a Magni.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With thousand different pad options, and lack of reliable measurements, it is kind of hard to have an idea about what kind of sound profile T60RP Argon offers.

I found these measurements on squig.link. (HD650 for reference). Judging from the graph, it does not look like it is a high fidelity headphone - a lot of mid bass bump, uneven mids, peaking treble..

I'd say get a HD 6XX from Drop for $199, which is effectively the same as HD650, and see how you enjoy them. They are bass light, mids focused headphones with balanced sound, which seems to be the opposite of what you currently have. I'd also recommend an EQ solution if possible to have the opportunity to tune the sound to your liking.

1712291854474.png

OP
TheStayHomeDad
With thousand different pad options, and lack of reliable measurements, it is kind of hard to have an idea about what kind of sound profile T60RP Argon offers.

I found these measurements on squig.link. (HD650 for reference). Judging from the graph, it does not look like it is a high fidelity headphone - a lot of mid bass bump, uneven mids, peaking treble..

I'd say get a HD 6XX from Drop for $199, which is effectively the same as HD650, and see how you enjoy them. They are bass light, mids focused headphones with balanced sound, which seems to be the opposite of what you currently have. I'd also recommend an EQ solution if possible to have the opportunity to tune the sound to your liking.

View attachment 361482
Thank you! This is what I needed and I get so overwhelmed and paralysis on what to do, where to search and what to pick.

InfiniteJester

I believe that the 599 are considerably cheaper and sound more open than the 6XX.

If you are really interested in experiencing what an open headphone does different, the 599 are a very affordable way to satiate your curiosity.

I have seen them even at 79€ here in Spain. They are an 102€ right now.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Modhouse Audio T60RP Argon (Xenon suede earpads) or stock from them which is actually Fostex T60RP with different pads.
Screenshot_20240405-152505~2.png

Screenshot_20240405-150553~2.png

What I encourage you to try is Cronicle Harman over ear EQ as its same hat as measured one. Anyway the peek at 9 KHz you probably won't be able to hire do to typically pina cancellation (if you have a typical one then yes).
Screenshot_20240405-151320~2.png

AuroEQ works/calculate with lot of hardware/software, players and standard EQ's. And you even have a preview in app/Web app.

OP
TheStayHomeDad
Modhouse Audio T60RP Argon (Xenon suede earpads) or stock from them which is actually Fostex T60RP with different pads.
View attachment 361549
View attachment 361550

What I encourage you to try is Cronicle Harman over ear EQ as its same hat as measured one. Anyway the peek at 9 KHz you probably won't be able to hire do to typically pina cancellation (if you have a typical one then yes).
View attachment 361552
AuroEQ works/calculate with lot of hardware/software, players and standard EQ's. And you even have a preview in app/Web app.

This is AMAZING! I can't believe I missed/didn't know about this!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This is AMAZING! I can't believe I missed/didn't know about this!
Well it's super useful and can go with a little more refining but I am certain it will get it. I had another disclosure lately for sensitive IEM's/headphones, Apple A2155 EU type C dongle going to buy it today.

Top Bottom