• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

please recommand a set of device to listen natural sounds

b4nt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it raw/unedited records you are listening to? Do you know what microphones are used to record them?

Good mics sound "natural", at least, records are exhaustive, catched the sounds.

jae

Major Contributor
If this is just amateur raw recordings he is listening to and not some heavily edited/mixed thing, he could look up the frequency response of the microphone used to record and use that as a guide, perhaps? He could correct his choice of target curve in magnitudes of approximately the inverse of the mic's response in the middle regions of the audible spectrum (omitting problematic/very low/very high bands) using AutoEq (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/). For headphones, a well-measuring planar or IEM depending on his preference. I think for these nature sounds especially at louder volumes, closer to "true" flatter is better, similar to "good, neutral" microphones. If the mic is lacking it, a few dB presence tilt somewhere around 4-10khz region will probably sound fairly natural depending on the setting, and will give that nature documentary/lively feel.

JWAmerica

I think you will have success with a good IEM that blocks noise well like Etymotic Research. They are a neutral IEM and I think would be well suited to listening to nature recordings.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've read through all the posts in this thread, seems like juggling a number of issues.

The best, most immersive "nature recordings" I've heard were binaural, played back on headphones. There aren't many of those.

I'm not fond of IEMs and prefer open back headphones. I'm really enjoying the Drop 6XX now, very smooth, very detailed in the upper registers without edge or grain where it doesn't belong. However, in order to sound right they need eq, or the bottom octaves are otherwise missing. A headphone amp capable of at least 100 mW is advised.

But if the issue is wanting environmental background, I would think the best mode would be over speakers. Being able to freely move around has a psychological element that allows the sounds to more easily seep into the subconscious.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
about headphone targets:

for sounds recorded in nature I would try the traditional difuse field target.
harman without bass target will aproximate a flat speaker in a bass treated room
harman oficial target will aproximate a flat speaker in a normal living room

not really, from my perspective harman official is bass treated room and normal living room is normal living room.

It's better to explain to people that 65% of people like the Harman target the way it is, with 13% wanting less bass.

b4nt

If this is just amateur raw recordings he is listening to and not some heavily edited/mixed thing, he could look up the frequency response of the microphone used to record and use that as a guide, perhaps?

I'm wondering why you consider "natural sounds" could be poor 100-16k amateur raw materials. But I beleive some so exist on the Internet, which could be of interest also. Some make art using their phone, for photos. Others may have done that using a very basic recorder or a good phone microphone?

The FR range for this shall be 20-20k (many mics are able to, and accessible to amateurs). The head set shall feature low distortion over max of that range. A model that could be EQed for better linearity over the range? So any audiophile or studio grade head set....

I found those nice jazzy birds: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/97903

Then this 90 000 entries catalog of various recordings: https://sounds.bl.uk/Environment/Soundscapes/022M-W1CDR0001560-1500V0#_

The last one giving a definition: "The word "soundscape" was coined by composer R. Murray Schafer to identify sounds that "describe a place, a sonic identity, a sonic memory, but always a sound that is pertinent to a place" (Wagstaff, G. 2000)."

dasdoing

Major Contributor
not really, from my perspective harman official is bass treated room and normal living room is normal living room.

It's better to explain to people that 65% of people like the Harman target the way it is, with 13% wanting less bass.

this was not about what people like. I would recomend harman oficial to any noob; even though I would never use it

b4nt

well, my nature surrounding me is countless car horn and wheel sounds. o_Oo_O

But maybe not only. I found this, I heard about at some point. https://www.soundcities.com/

No matter in which city you live on this planet, there is an undeniable, authentic sound to every metropolis. Aural landscapes, that are defined by traffic sounds, horns honking, people chatting — all these stimuli make a city what it is and give it a unique feeling. https://popupcity.net/observations/urban-soundscapes-from-around-the-globe/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean if I don't have recordings that suits my demand, then I still wouldn't get the accurate natural sound I want?

Yes, something along those lines. I think we may need clarification on what you consider "natural sound" to be particularly in recordings.

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

I've read through all the posts in this thread, seems like juggling a number of issues.

The best, most immersive "nature recordings" I've heard were binaural, played back on headphones. There aren't many of those.

I'm not fond of IEMs and prefer open back headphones. I'm really enjoying the Drop 6XX now, very smooth, very detailed in the upper registers without edge or grain where it doesn't belong. However, in order to sound right they need eq, or the bottom octaves are otherwise missing. A headphone amp capable of at least 100 mW is advised.

But if the issue is wanting environmental background, I would think the best mode would be over speakers. Being able to freely move around has a psychological element that allows the sounds to more easily seep into the subconscious.
Thanks for the advice! Open-back headphones are also my favorite at the moment. but I feel like having speakers in a room and setting them to their best functionality is a lot of work. like dealing with the walls and floor, that kind of things. is it really complicated like that?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice! Open-back headphones are also my favorite at the moment. but I feel like having speakers in a room and setting them to their best functionality is a lot of work. like dealing with the walls and floor, that kind of things. is it really complicated like that?
I'm not entirely clear what the restrictions are, in your listening space but many of the self contained portable speakers can convincingly fill a smaller room. My wife uses a JBL "flip" with Bluetooth connection to her phone.

The presentation is surprisingly good. A cunning design need not be large to evoke a "sense of place".

As mentioned above finer binaural recordings will accurately capture most of the cues you seek. I wish you good fortune and success in this worthy pursuit.

https://www.jbl.com/flip/

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

But maybe not only. I found this, I heard about at some point. https://www.soundcities.com/

No matter in which city you live on this planet, there is an undeniable, authentic sound to every metropolis. Aural landscapes, that are defined by traffic sounds, horns honking, people chatting — all these stimuli make a city what it is and give it a unique feeling. https://popupcity.net/observations/urban-soundscapes-from-around-the-globe/
The bird was so interesting to listen to.:D:DI think I just want these kinds of sounds, along with wind and easy streams, peaceful and pleasant. I just got to tired of the noises of cities.

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

Yes, something along those lines. I think we may need clarification on what you consider "natural sound" to be particularly in recordings.
Got it. Thanks for the tips, they were really helpful.:D:D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:

b4nt

The bird was so interesting to listen to.:D:DI think I just want these kinds of sounds, along with wind and easy streams, peaceful and pleasant. I just got to tired of the noises of cities.

Once you have the head sets, browse the Internet. You shall find an ocean of diverse good sounds :)

Top Bottom