• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[ POLL ] [ Final Thread, I Promise ] - Which of the following stacks would you say is the overall best, most reliable, and therefore worth its cost?

The most "Worth-It" amp/DAC stack, in terms of reliability and manufacturing quality, against cost?

• Schiit Modius E + Jotunheim 2 ($850) + Gjallarhorn Power Amp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Topping L70 / E70 Velvet ($1130) + Matching Power Amp

• SMSL HO200 / DO200 ($1000) + Matching Power Amp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quinton595

Hello everyone, I promise this is my final post.

You have all been very kind, and I don't want to take advantage of the community by spamming threads (more than I already have).

With the community's help, I have narrowed a choice of amp and DAC stacks to a few brands, For use with Sennheiser HD800s, and a -15db Preamp EQ, on a PC Audio Setup.

My requirements changed a lot over the last few weeks as I learned new things, and dispelled my old misconceptions.

My priorities, in order:
  1. Reliability / Lifespan
  2. Transparency, detail retrieval, and, ideally, large sound-staging.
  3. Enough power to run the HD800s, with a -15 dB Preamp EQ, at peak levels of 115 dB.
  4. Clean, simple, boxy aesthetics, in black
My requirements:
  • The product line must have matching stackable power amps, or work visually with power amps of other brands
  • Must have a pre-amp switch on the headphone amp so I can disable speaker output when using headphones, and vice-versa
  • A target price point in Canadian dollars of around $1200 CAD or less, landed at my door.
Please do not question the pricing listed beside each poll option, I know they are different from what you'll find online. These are landed prices in Canadian dollars, factoring in some strange shipping methods and a potential duty-free trip to the US.

I am not concerned about the sonic differences between the stacks, as I do not think I will be able to hear the reported subtle differences in tonality and frequency response.

Please do not suggest the RME Adi-2. It is great, but at $2005 CAD landed, is too expensive.

Once again, thank you to everyone who stuck with me. You have all taught me a great deal, and I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to my indecisive self.

My profile picture is an apt representation of myself IRL.

Top Bottom