• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: What sources do you use for music in your system

Which sources do you use for music in your audio system. Choose all sources you use.

• Streaming

Votes: 154 83.7%
  • Local Music server

Votes: 120 65.2%
  • CD

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • Tape

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Vinyl

Votes: 64 34.8%

• Total voters

mglobe

Forum Donor
The never ending and often (always?) contentious vinyl discussion has made me wonder how prevalent the various sources for music are amongst ASR members.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a switch between my disc player (CD/DVD/Bluray balanced) and a TOA mixer (single ended) that can input from a cell phone or a sound card.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Everything but any kind of tape player.

There are a few members here who do enjoy their anti-vinyl place in the world, but I just like to play records sometimes, and really can't be bothered with the arguments as to why.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, this survey does not reveal which media are the main focus of use. For me, it's streaming today. Vinyl records I rarely listen to, but then with the greatest pleasure. What I would never use again are tape cassettes. Open reel is something I could use if I got my Revox out of the basement.

Bleib

Major Contributor
PC, TV and sometimes phone

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
For me, everything but local music server, as streaming has pretty much replaced that need for me. I still have backup drives with all my rips from CDs but they aren't in active use.

All those hours...all those iTunes rips...ah, well, I mostly did at work while I was doing other things...

I still regularly use cassette tapes, just because I like keeping the format alive...

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Streaming from NAS and Vinyl equally.
For relaxed listening vinyl preferred.

Salt

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, this survey does not reveal which media are the main focus of use. For me, it's streaming today. Vinyl records I rarely listen to, but then with the greatest pleasure. What I would never use again are tape cassettes. Open reel is something I could use if I got my Revox out of the basement.
Maybe I can help You to get rid of the Revox garbage without charge ....

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Maybe I can help You to get rid of the Revox garbage without charge ....
Some of the equipment I have in storage was part of sound art projects or audio-concerts I was involved in. Even though I don't use them regularly anymore, I don't have the heart to give them away. There are also old one-off master tapes.

Salt

Forum Donor
Sorry hear that, but if .... ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My main source is my computer on which I have approx 3500 albums in 2,4,5.1, Atmos & Auro immersion channel recordings. I use a Apple 4k streaming box to check out new Atmos, multich, and 2ch releases. Today, the CD's, DVD-A, & BluRay-A are bought to rip to my computer and then mostly moved on. I don't have the room to waste valuable space saving obsolete physical media when bit-perfect copies can be stored so easily.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If you value them, you should rip them to a hard drive before the tape becomes unplayable.
The danger exists, I have to agree with you. But I can't manage it in time and I have to accept that some things will be lost, and even the unused equipment will become defective. I am also worried about the material heritage of one of my best friends, a composer from France who is one of the pioneers of electronic music.

Vinyl records are comparatively very stable over time.

ronniebear

Among the devices I use for music playback, in our kitchen as well as when I'm working outdoors, is this currently-manufactured Sony CFD-S70 micro boombox. It plays the following formats: Red Book Compact Discs, cassette tapes, AM and FM radio, and via its Aux input streaming music via a smartphone and Qobuz (no Bluetooth). The CFD-S70 built-in speakers are minimalist and on the bright/tinny side at times, but for use in the kitchen or while pulling weeds this compact device is a pleasure to use.
Sony CFD-S70 photo 1.jpg
Sony CFD-S70 pic 2.jpg
Sony CFD-S70 pic 3.jpg
but it serves a purpose in our household.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming from my gaming pooder on YouTube Premium. Nothing else. PEQ that to death and voila through the Sennheisers it sounds pretty good. :D I've thought about internet radio like FM stations broadcasting at CD or better quality but never get around to it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am also worried about the material heritage of one of my best friends, a composer from France who is one of the pioneers of electronic music.
That was my only concern, getting that tape recorded music archived before it's lost forever.

Barrelhouse Solly

I haven't quite wanted streaming badly enough to pay for it. I have an NAS with about 90K files. I listen to internet radio in the car a fair amount. We live in an area where radio reception is very poor and there's a lot more variety on internet radio.

Top Bottom