• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Question/Recommends] - Microphone/Headphone Equipment

Exoriya

Before you read, please note; I am a complete noob at audio.

For a few days now I have been searching and watching reviews of many microphones and headphones. In about a year I plan on doing a big overhaul on my equipment / pc. Primarily when the new 15900k/5090 releases. It has been a few years since I had done any upgrades, I have a few questions and would perhaps like to hear any recommendations on the equipment I should have that will give me the best/optimal for headphone and microphone.

I currently have a Blue Yeti that is plugged directly into my computer. I've been looking at many other microphones and mainly looked at the Shure brand. However, I don't really podcast or do any music, but looking at the Shure SM7B I hear a lot of great reviews and such from it. While my budget would be around that price I'm just unsure if I should or look for something a bit more suitable for my needs. (I mainly just use discord). Just trying to get something that'll improve over the blue yeti, and I can have for years to come.

Along with upgrading my microphone, I stumbled upon some needing a XLR cable. I currently have only a Fulla Schiit 3? I have been using it on my Sennheiser HD599's. I'm unsure on if I even need a DAC/AMP for these headphones, but I've grown accustomed to using Shiit Fulla for my headphones. I plan on upgrading to the new Fulla E, although, any other recommendations are appreciated.

Lastly, besides a recommendation for a new microphone and gaming dac/amp for headphones. If the new microphone needs a XLR cable, only audio interface I been looking at is the GoXLR Mini. However, again any recommendations is welcomed.

Sorry for the long read. I hope whomever reads can help. <3

tldr:
Seeking any recommendations on upgrading from these:
-> Shiit Fulla 3 (Thinking of Fulla E)
-> Blue Yeti Microphone. (Thinking of a Shure SM7B or either a Blue Yeti X/Shure MV7) *I kinda like the route of a Dynamic, i've read it picks up less background noise. I have a noisy neighborhood and household)

Also looking for a good audio interface in case microphone needs to use xlr cable. (Thinking of the GoXLR Mini. I really like the looks of the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 4th gen. But it has no mute button, which I'd prefer to have) :(

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Shure SM7B is a good choice in an environment with minimal acoustic treatment. However, it requires an audio interface like the GoXLR with a high gain mic pre. Perhaps even something like the Cloudlifter if your interface cannot provide enough gain.

Shure just recently released the SM7dB, which has a built-in mic pre which fixes this very issue.

Or you could get the MV7 if you don't want to mess with all that.

Topping's new E2X2 interface has enough gain to use the SM7B directly, as well as a powerful and clean headphone output. Here's a review and measurements: https://youtu.be/CHJGwVBGPXE

If you want to go with a USB mic, then instead of upgrading to the Fulla 3E, consider the Topping DX1. It's an all around better DAC+Amp, just without that mic input.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did not know about the SM7db. Something they should have done long ago. That should make lots of people happy. From what Shure says they licensed a Cloudlifter circuit and include it.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi. If I understand your application correctly (online gaming?), I would recommend an USB microphone. An USB mic does not need an audio interface, nor 48V phantom power (as some of the audio capacitor mics do), nor an XLR cable and it can provide plenty of good quality for the purpose (as no post processing or super duber low noise or distortion is required, like in audio recording situations).

Same for headphones, dont get one, which needs XLR connections, it is way overrated and makes it uncessarily complex and expensive (by requiring a special headphone amp).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. If I understand your application correctly (online gaming?), I would recommend an USB microphone. An USB mic does not need an audio interface, nor 48V phantom power (as some of the audio capacitor mics do), nor an XLR cable and it can provide plenty of good quality for the purpose (as no post processing or super duber low noise or distortion is required, like in audio recording situations).

Same for headphones, dont get one, which needs XLR connections, it is way overrated and makes it uncessarily complex and expensive (by requiring a special headphone amp).
There is the Shure MV7 with everything you need in the microphone itself including USB connection, and headphone amp (no specs on power). Also has XLR output if you want to use an interface.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
There is the Shure MV7 with everything you need in the microphone itself including USB connection, and headphone amp (no specs on power). Also has XLR output if you want to use an interface.

It is a good mic, but I still think it is an overkill for the application mentioned... but just me, I guess.

Mike710

What Is It that you don´t like about the Blue Yeti?

OP
E

Exoriya

Dang, thanks for all the replies.

@staticV3 -- Thanks for the recommendation on the interface. I am maybe more leaning towards just the MV7 rather than going for a more professional mic such as a SM7B. As what I've read, maybe its a bit overkill for just online applications like discord, and gaming. Seeing how the MV7 is like a younger version of the SM7B, it's on a bit of a cheaper side while still also having great reviews on the mic quality.

However; I've read a lot of issues online with using either the XLR or USB of the MV7 with discord. People are saying how they are still super quiet while having gains max. Any 100% way to fix this issue if I go this route? Only fix I've read was getting a Fethead / Cloudlifter with the MV7. I'd also like to get an interface with a mute button. lol. Sounds stupid but it's handy since I have a noisy environment. The device you recommended, is it released yet? I cannot find it anywhere beside on the main website, but no price tag or buy now.

lastly; what do you think of the Focusrite Vocaster One? it provides ~70db of gain rather than 76 on the Goxlr mini. So the only difference between that is 6. Which, I'm sure wont be too much.

@Mike710 It's not that I dislike it. I just wanna upgrade to a better quality since I am wanting to do a overhaul. But the thing I dislike probably is it picking up alot of background noise etc. I also read of these Dynamic mics, less background but seems to be harder to use since you need more gain. But superior voice quality?

Last edited:
OP
E

Exoriya

Hey guys, sorry to add another, however, how will a Atom Stack compare to my Schiit Fulla? I kinda like the looks of both the JDS Atom+ DAC/AMP. They are small and apparently so far, I've read they are good.

Assuming, they are much more superior to a Shiit Fulla E?

Mike710

Dang, thanks for all the replies.

@staticV3 -- Thanks for the recommendation on the interface. I am maybe more leaning towards just the MV7 rather than going for a more professional mic such as a SM7B. As what I've read, maybe its a bit overkill for just online applications like discord, and gaming. Seeing how the MV7 is like a younger version of the SM7B, it's on a bit of a cheaper side while still also having great reviews on the mic quality.

However; I've read a lot of issues online with using either the XLR or USB of the MV7 with discord. People are saying how they are still super quiet while having gains max. Any 100% way to fix this issue if I go this route? Only fix I've read was getting a Fethead / Cloudlifter with the MV7. I'd also like to get an interface with a mute button. lol. Sounds stupid but it's handy since I have a noisy environment. The device you recommended, is it released yet? I cannot find it anywhere beside on the main website, but no price tag or buy now.

lastly; what do you think of the Focusrite Vocaster One? it provides ~70db of gain rather than 76 on the Goxlr mini. So the only difference between that is 6. Which, I'm sure wont be too much.

@Mike710 It's not that I dislike it. I just wanna upgrade to a better quality since I am wanting to do a overhaul. But the thing I dislike probably is it picking up alot of background noise etc. I also read of these Dynamic mics, less background but seems to be harder to use since you need more gain. But superior voice quality?
Fully understandable, but with regards to background noise. I am afraid that could be caused by other things. Bad cable, faulty and/or dirty USB port, fan noise etc.

A condenser mic will usually give you better performance, but are also more sensitive and delicate to work with. Specially large diaphragm condenser mics, which In turn have to do with what polar pattern they are using.

Then you have room treatment, mic placement, gain staging, and overall signal chain. Other factors like using a pop filter, or Issues with grounding or IR Interference. Lastly you have what software you´re using, audio driver, sound card etc.

If you´re just going to use the mic for Discord and/or gaming, you might be better off taking a different approach by using a all-In-one solution like the Audio Technica PHS1...

Add a MOTU M2 as you´re audio Interface and done.

Have fun!

Top Bottom