• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA plugs touching, problem?

Barry_Sound

Hello everyone, I have a pair of RCA cables with solid plugs that touch slightly when connected to the amplifier. As far as I understand it, the signal wire is inside and the ground is outside. Is there anything bad to expect when two grounds are connecting?

unnamed.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Outside of the plug is the ground so okay.

OP
B

Barry_Sound

Thanks guys

Ground wise it’s okay. I do see the connectors not being parallel, meaning there will be some strain on the connectors. If it’s only a little, it’s probably okay.

My thought too. It's not quite as bad as it looks in the first picture though.

unnamed-1.jpg

Will post a subjective sound review soon.

No, just kidding my audio science friends. :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I little electrical tape around one could ease your mind.;)

OP
B

Barry_Sound

lol

You had me seriously worried for a few seconds …
It's funny, I have a soft spot for expensive cables if I can find them halfway cheap, sale or second hand. It's like women and handbags.

Dr Morbius

My experience is a bit different, I have a Scott 272 tube amp which worked fine and I got these new RCA cables with thicker connectors and it blew out 2 - EL34 tubes. Luckily that was the only damage! Tried it again with electrical tape around one connector and all was good.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How is it possible that the output tubes burn out when the left and right gnd are connected at the input?
There must be some other problem with that amp.
A number of amplifiers (not just tube IME) lift the input ground for isolation, stability, and to prevent ground loops (which I could have lumped with "isolation"). I had an expensive (ARC) component that did that, and if you shorted the RCA inputs to chassis ground, it would oscillate. Since the oscillation was well above the audio band, your first clue was overheated plates and blown tubes. Internally there was a very small (0.5~1 ohm IIRC) resistor from RCA jack shield to main signal ground.

One other datum is that tube amps (and of course any bridged amps) do not necessarily ground the speaker terminals so care must be connecting to anything but speakers. My ARC amp tied the 4-ohm output terminal to ground, for instance. I learned this the hard way decades ago when I added a nice external speaker power meter that shared a common ground. Fortunately, a squeal and blown fuse saved the amp from my ignorance. These days problems can arise when adding a sub via speaker-level inputs if the sub does not isolate the signal and ground lines connecting to the speaker outputs.

FWIWFM - Don

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

egellings

Major Contributor
Hello everyone, I have a pair of RCA cables with solid plugs that touch slightly when connected to the amplifier. As far as I understand it, the signal wire is inside and the ground is outside. Is there anything bad to expect when two grounds are connecting?

unnamed.jpg
Do an easy experiment. Wrap one connector with a thin tape or just insert a piece of paper between the two connectors to isolate their shells and see if you hear a difference with and without the change. Likelihood is high that there will be no discernable difference. If there is, then leave the insulator in place.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Dr Morbius

That’s exactly what I did, wrapped a piece of electrical tape around one connector and wallah, all was fine! No problems since. The Scott 272 is the only amp that has the problem of the connectors being too close. The 296 and 299C’s and D’s are more spaced apart.

Top Bottom