• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reaction music videos

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do not know why but right now I am stuck watching different reaction videos. Here's an example, ZZ Top still seems to "have it" when a young girl (singer) lives in like hell in some ZZ Top classics. The beard still has it (one at least).
R.I.P Dusty Hill

Good music touches at all ages per se, but still. She starts digging right away. It was fun to watch, I thought.:)

The first time she hears, listening to ZZ Top.

WOW that guitar was dirty ... south dirty

Do you have any other fun similar videos that you want to recommend?

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
This voice coach/trained singer does decent reaction videos.
There are a lot of professionals who analyze and it's interesting. I actually learned a lot about singing technique from such videos (in theory that is, I am kind to others so my singing voice does not expose them to). :)

To break down songs and analyze them from a technical perspective. Though that with music and emotions no matter how objective she is so 5:55 in the video so ... well it's probably not hard to figure out what kind of emotions it evokes. Just look at facial expressions.:cool:

Last edited:

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's kind of cool when other people discover music they wouldn't usually listen to and are generous enough [or have the requisite skills] to give credit where credit's due. Like this for Devin Townsend...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
How many of these "reaction" videos do suppose are staged, as in pre-arranged? Just a thought. Jim
Sure many, or not. I do not know. Take them with a pinch of salt.:)

Check them out because they are fun, interesting and you can get tips on good music.

Although I think that in many cases it is genuine and spontaneous feelings that are conveyed. :)

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think it like this. You are going to post a video on Youtube where expressions and feelings are to be conveyed. Quite pointless if you post a video where you look like a dead fish. Those who post the videos know this so they allow themselves to "pulled on" with emotions. Maybe overplay in some cases but still quite authentic.

If you see it as an art form (not much art in itself but for the principle, for the sake of the argument) then the same principles apply there as to create a good movie. Different quality levels on those videos. Take them (or not) for what they are. A little entertainment for the moment only.:)

Then there is a big difference between these reaction videos. There are, as suggested in the thread, videos where it is more a matter of analysis of song, composition and so on. For example this:

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I've looked at a few different ones now. Clearly varying in terms of their knowledge package level. These for example. They have lots of videos where they react to music, so you might think they know a little, have learned a little, but .... for example this video where the guy says:

Paul McCartney is new to me, but he's holding it down.

Which of course results in a lot of comments, this one among others:

Yeah, he might make something of himself someday.

____

But then we have Doug(mentioned in my previous post). Now he has become interested in Zappa. Doug is really knowledgeable, so it's on the other side of the spectrum.

Here we go, both musically, compositionally on top and the theoretical analysis of Zappa's works:

Roméo ELvis

Thanks for sharing, i love this kind of videos too. Noticeably , the reaction to "In the air Tonight" wich is one of my favoriest song all times! ;)

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm going to listen to this girl now - watch, because her reaction is already...approved, ok.

WOW that guitar was dirty ... south dirty
That's because he's real, the real thing.
...Like Percy Sledge. ...And ZZ Top, more real because I watched them from a few metres away. Percy Sledge, I was so young my mother took me to the show.
[There is a special place in my psyche for this - the Allmans and Lynrd Skynrd and Whitney Houston and all are there too.]

Katji

Major Contributor
The girl is good, she picked up the Muddy Waters there.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
The usual way that things are staged and pre-arranged. By, you know, staging and pre-arranging them.
It was a sweeping generalization. It can be said about all entertainment, all cultural practice. Instead, say what you think. That is, you think it's trash, worldless low-quality culture, entertainment. Which of course, in many cases, it is but that does not concern me.I do not care about liking the "right" cultural expressions. I swallow most things.:D

This is not how music is reviewed on the bourgeois fine culture media. Totally smoked out, he comments (not so much in words). Hardly staged well-thought-out reaction, but ..well trash. That smoking cat seems to have fun anyway, we'll give him that::)

Top Bottom