• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend an Amp + Preamp for Revel F208 speakers (with DIRAC)

Wavez

I'm getting a pair of Revel F208 speakers and would like to change my amp + pre while I'm at it.
It looks like the NAD c399 checks all my boxes, but I am second guessing if there might be a better option out there that I'm missing.
Here's my must haves:
  • enough power (speakers rated for 300wpc @8ohm)
  • DIRAC or similar room correction (in unit, I need it to apply to analog sources and I'm not playing music off of a computer)
  • at least two analog inputs, ideally three.
  • two sub outputs
  • remote control
  • Budget = sub $3000 ish
I was also looking at a miniDSP SHD and pairing that with a Buckeye or Nilai amp, and I don't like that the miniDSP only has one adat input, I'd like 2 on my DAC (one for the TV, and one for a streaming box like wiim mini) - and it only has one pair of analog inputs, so that's out.

Is there anything else out there I'm missing?

radix

Major Contributor
NAD has many products with DIRAC, but I'm not sure which would be in your budget. I've not used any of them.

The Anthem STR series has ARC (not DIRAC). I like their user interface better than minidsp, but it's not DIRAC. You can name inputs with a real human name. They are also too expensive for your budget new, but I bought my ATR preamp used for a good price. If you're into that.

Did you need the streamer feature of the SHD? If not, the Flex is an option.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you say you need all those digital and analog inputs an AVR or processor is probably the way to go. I don't think any minDSP gear can do all of it. In both cases the processing power of the onboard silicon is just enough to do some good correction up to +/-300Hz so if you really want control of multichannel audio DRC/DSP then a small computer will have to come into the mix.

If you are running a sub and potentially another one in the future I'd highly recommend a device with Dirac Live Bass Management instead of regular Dirac, it's worth the extra cost for proper bass integration.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And by all means get a Buckeye amp! My 4ch 252MP is serial #0002 and the build quality was/is great even back then and I think he's made close to a 1000 of them now.

Top Bottom