• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for an S12 Pro equivalent in headphones?

Shinnen

I have used the DT 770 Pro for 2 years or so and decided to go for the S12 Pro after a recommendation from my IEMs obsessed friend and I LOVED it, it's absolutely perfect for my taste.
But I really miss the sound stage of a headphone so I'm looking for something that has the most important characteristics of the S12 Pro (sparkly treble, and forward vocals) but a headphone instead,
Preferably something that would last a long time, my budget at max is $800 but can spend more if it's worth it and will last me a long time.
I have the Atom+ DAC and Amp

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beyerdynamic DT1990, Shure 1840, or Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X would be a good match. I had those IEMs and they're fun. If the budget allows, the Hifiman Arya Stealth is the best example though, planar magnetic but needs a high quality amp and DAC. The DT900 Pro X will run on most anything including a phone or onboard sound. Even the Hifiman HE400i or HE4xx are affordable and similar sound.

OP
Shinnen

Shinnen

The Beyerdynamic DT1990, Shure 1840, or Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X would be a good match. I had those IEMs and they're fun. If the budget allows, the Hifiman Arya Stealth is the best example though, planar magnetic but needs a high quality amp and DAC. The DT900 Pro X will run on most anything including a phone or onboard sound. Even the Hifiman HE400i or HE4xx are affordable and similar sound.
Would the Arya Stealth be good with a JDS Atom stack, and how is the build quality on them? since I want something that will last me a long time
Thanks a lot for the response, I'll check the other headphones you recommended

InfiniteJester

You would probably like a planar, then. Not another Beyerdynamic. I would go, for a round Hifiman. Oval ones are known for their distortion issues. I would go for the HE400se, if you want to try their sound. They are around 90€. They need EQ. If you really like them, you can "upgrade" to the HE6se at some point.

OP
Shinnen

Shinnen

You would probably like a planar, then. Not another Beyerdynamic. I would go, for a round Hifiman. Oval ones are known for their distortion issues. I would go for the HE400se, if you want to try their sound. They are around 90€. They need EQ. If you really like them, you can "upgrade" to the HE6se at some point.

I would go for the HE6SE but I should have pointed out in the OP that I have an Atom+ stack which I think does not power the HE6SE sufficiently (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

InfiniteJester

I would go for the HE6SE but I should have pointed out in the OP that I have an Atom+ stack which I think does not power the HE6SE sufficiently (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

I would go for the much cheaper V2, actually, which is at 705,36 €.

I'm not an expert, but let's see the math.

V2 has, according to Hifiman.com:
Impedance: 50 Ohms
Sensitivity: 83.5dB

Atom+ provides, according to jdslabs.com:
  • Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω136mW (9.05VRMS = 25.6Vpp)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω545 mW (9.04VRMS = 25.6Vpp)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω1 Watt (5.66 VRMS = 16.0Vpp)
We could try to infer what the power would be at 50Ω.

But, considering that, to play at 90dB, the HE6V2 would need 5 mW...

1712682015901.png

I strongly suspect that you would be able to deaf yourself as much as you want with your Atom+ and the HE6V2.

Again, I'm just a newcomer, I'm not an expert. Search for a second opinion.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go for the much cheaper V2, actually, which is at 705,36 €.

I'm not an expert, but let's see the math.

V2 has, according to Hifiman.com:
Impedance: 50 Ohms
Sensitivity: 83.5dB

Atom+ provides, according to jdslabs.com:
  • Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω136mW (9.05VRMS = 25.6Vpp)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω545 mW (9.04VRMS = 25.6Vpp)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω1 Watt (5.66 VRMS = 16.0Vpp)
We could try to infer what the power would be at 50Ω.

But, considering that, to play at 90dB, the HE6V2 would need 5 mW...

View attachment 362485
I strongly suspect that you would be able to deaf yourself as much as you want with your Atom+ and the HE6V2.

Again, I'm just a newcomer, I'm not an expert. Search for a second opinion.
90dB might be fine as average listening level, but music will have higher peaks. So I'd do the math for 110dB at least.

To reach that level, HE6se V2 would need 5V RMS and 100mA. Atom+ can manage that no problem. But if you put in a, say, 3dB bass shelf so employ a -3dB preamp, you might start running out of juice. It might be that Atom+ can supply the additional current for short bursts as needed, or maybe it's pushing it a bit.

Atom+ is a wonderful amp and would probably be fine almost all headphones. HE6 familty might be one of the the exceptions to that rule. For HE6se I'd probably get an L50.

Last edited:

InfiniteJester

90dB might be fine as average listening level, but music will have higher peaks. So I'd do the math for 110dB at least.

To reach that level, HE6se V2 would need 5V RMS and 100mA. Atom+ can manage that no problem. But if you put in a, say, 3dB bass shelf so employ a -3dB preamp, you might start running out of juice. It might be that Atom+ can supply the additional current for short bursts as needed, or maybe it's pushing it a bit.

Atom+ is a wonderful amp and would probably be fine almost all headphones. HE6 familty might be one of the the exceptions to that rule. For HE6se I'd probably get an L50.

Thank you for the additional information.

At 110dB, the calculator indicates: 502.00 mW.

Beyond that, things get crazy.

1584.20 mW for 115dB.
5011.78 mW for 120dB.

I, admittedly, listen to music at low volumes, so I don't think it would be an issue for me personally.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for adding additional information.

At 110dB, the calculator indicates: 502.00 mW.

Beyond that, things get crazy.

1584.20 mW for 115dB.
5011.78 mW for 120dB.

I, admittedly, listen to music at low volumes, so I don't think it would be an issue for me personally.

InfiniteJester

It does need a quite negative preAmp to adapt to Harman, though. According to a quick AutoEQ.

graph (3).png

Preamp: -8.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 21 Hz Gain 2.6 dB Q 3.000
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 39 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.500
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.500
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 470 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.100
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 5.8 dB Q 2.100
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4100 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 3.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 8.2 dB Q 3.000

OP
Shinnen

Shinnen

Me too, I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing either so I don't think it will be that big of an issue for me.
However the HE6se V2 seems to be non-existent on the Hifiman store except the open-box ones which won't ship outside of selected countries so I'm gonna have to wait.
Thanks a lot for the help!

InfiniteJester

Me too, I'm not a big fan of EQ'ing either so I don't think it will be that big of an issue for me.
However the HE6se V2 seems to be non-existent on the Hifiman store except the open-box ones which won't ship outside of selected countries so I'm gonna have to wait.
Thanks a lot for the help!

I seriously recommend the HE400se, if you are willing to change your mind on EQ. They are cheap enough that you can use them just to experiment.

I really like them.

Top Bottom