• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Sys Passive Pre-amp/Switcher

gvl

Major Contributor
Also you're now forced to use that RCA to XLR adapter, so you're losing the benefits of an XLR connection, but it may be acceptable for your purposes.

Kain

Also you're now forced to use that RCA to XLR adapter, so you're losing the benefits of an XLR connection, but it may be acceptable for your purposes.
True, but I've always used RCA from the source to these speakers since I've had them.

gvl

Major Contributor
Found out that I can also use the SoundSource app for macOS to control the volume for the DAC.

https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

There is something to be aware of. The Bifrost 2/64 uses 16-bit DAC chips and doing software volume control upstream of the DAC on 16-bit material will lead to some resolution loss, which may be audible with enough attenuation. If you must use the Bifrost better use it with the Sys other preamp, perhaps you can add the Midgard instead which will also provide a headphone amp and a balanced path to your speakers.

Kain

There is something to be aware of. The Bifrost 2/64 uses 16-bit DAC chips and doing software volume control upstream of the DAC on 16-bit material will lead to some resolution loss, which may be audible with enough attenuation. If you must use the Bifrost better use it with the Sys other preamp, perhaps you can add the Midgard instead which will also provide a headphone amp and a balanced path to your speakers.
Thanks.

Does this also mean the max "format" I should use is 16-bit/192 kHz? Or can I also use 24-bit/192 kHz? I can change this format (what macOS calls it) in Audio MIDI Setup on macOS.

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks.

Does this also mean the max "format" I should use is 16-bit/192 kHz? Or can I also use 24-bit/192 kHz? I can change this format (what macOS calls it) in Audio MIDI Setup on macOS.

It’s fine to send 24 bits to the DAC, it will convert internally to 16 bits. It’s best to not let the OS to resample the data and send it directly to the DAC as is, not familiar with the macOS, but on windows you need to use a player app that allows to bypass the OS mixer.

Kain

It’s fine to send 24 bits to the DAC, it will convert internally to 16 bits. It’s best to not let the OS to resample the data and send it directly to the DAC as is, not familiar with the macOS, but on windows you need to use a player app that allows to bypass the OS mixer.
Okay, thanks.

Also, just to confirm, you are recommending to use the Sys over the SoundSource app I linked above, correct?

gvl

Major Contributor
Okay, thanks.

Also, just to confirm, you are recommending to use the Sys over the SoundSource app I linked above, correct?

Yes, technically. In practice it may not matter much depending on how much attenuation you need. In general you would be better served by a more resolving DAC with onboard volume control and balanced outputs, and these days they can be had for much less than the Bifrost.

Kain

Yes, technically. In practice it may not matter much depending on how much attenuation you need. In general you would be better served by a more resolving DAC with onboard volume control and balanced outputs, and these days they can be had for much less than the Bifrost.
Could you recommend or name some such DACs?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I received by Bifrost 2/64 yesterday and I am using it with my MacBook Pro 14" and JBL LSR305 monitors and JBL LSR310S subwoofer. When I connected it to my Mac I noticed I had no control over the volume in macOS and it defaulted to max. I could only control the volume within apps that had a volume control. In apps that did not have a volume control, the sound was outputting at max volume by default. Then I learned that all Schiit DACs are like this on macOS, Windows, and Linux and that you have no control over the master volume and are expected to use a preamp or hardware volume control.

Wish I had known this prior to buying the Bifrost 2/64.

Anyway, I then ordered a Sys but haven't received it yet. I just want to know if there will be any degradation in sound quality when having a Sys in the chain? I read around and some say no while others say the higher end Schiit preamps sound better. But then I also read that the Sys actually sounds better than the higher end Schiit preamps. So what I have learned is all over the place because of the contradicting information.

As a Schiit owner (yep, personal bias here), I use a Schiit Saga (OG version since acquiring it back on 2017, still working perfectly as daily use) to control the volume of my triode strapped pentode headphone amp and my Yamaha HS7 monitors (set at +4 dBu input sensitivity). BTW, I recommend using an active pre over passive pre due to input impedance of pro audio monitors being too low for a passive pre such as Sys to work properly

1713884828530.png

Kain

As a Schiit owner (yep, personal bias here), I use a Schiit Saga (OG version since acquiring it back on 2017, still working perfectly as daily use) to control the volume of my triode strapped pentode headphone amp and my Yamaha HS7 monitors (set at +4 dBu input sensitivity). BTW, I recommend using an active pre over passive pre due to input impedance of pro audio monitors being too low for a passive pre such as Sys to work properly

View attachment 365451
Schiit specifically mention "powered monitors" as one of the use cases for the Sys on their website.

Also, any comments/opinions on how the RME ADI-2 DAC FS would compare to the Bifrost 2/64?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit specifically mention "powered monitors" as one of the use cases for the Sys on their website.

Also, any comments/opinions on how the RME ADI-2 DAC FS would compare to the Bifrost 2/64?

At maximum volume pot, it's not a problem. Only when you're using Sys to attenuate that impedance matching with your LSR 308 subs is the biggest problem. Your output impedance can go as high as 5K ohms which will cause damping issues and FR shifts when used with a 10K ohm input. IIRC, powered monitors and subs are usually 10K ohm input impedance. A 5K ohm output impedance to a 10K ohm input impedance will sound weak and anemic like AM radio due to power losses from poor damping factor. Having an active preamp like Schiit Saga will make the output impedance flat at 180 ohms regardless of how much attenuation you added from the signal.

1713890603241.png

1713890856804.png

If you want a hassle-free experience, I highly recommend to sell the BF2/64 and get the RME ADI-2 FS DAC. You buy the BF2/64 for the Ti chip novelty while you buy the RME for valuable features and sonically, they're IDENTICAL despite the BF2/64 measuring really poorly

Kain

Thanks.

I am still in the return period window of my Bifrost 2/64. I only got it a few days ago. I have also inquired about the RME ADI-2 FS DAC from my local RME distributor. Waiting to hear back about the price.

gvl

Major Contributor
Could you recommend or name some such DACs?

The Topping D50 III just released seems like a little perfect device that also comes with onboard PEQ.

It would compare favorably... I mean, considering the feature set and quality/performance you get with the RME the Bifrost is not really a contender, but Schiit aficionados may disagree.

Last edited:

Kain

I just checked the Schiit website and even for the Saga+ (in passive mode) the output impedance is 4.8k ohms maximum.

gvl

Major Contributor
I just checked the Schiit website and even for the Saga+ (in passive mode) the output impedance is 4.8k ohms maximum.

Passive mode will typically have high output impedance in any device, that’s why it’s best to avoid it unless it’s known downstream equipment has low input capacitance. The input impedance is actually less of a concern but higher is usually better than lower.

Kain

So if I had the Saga+, it would be better to use it in active mode vs. passive mode? The Saga+ in active mode would cause no degradation regardless of the set volume level?

gvl

Major Contributor
So if I had the Saga+, it would be better to use it in active mode vs. passive mode? The Saga+ in active mode would cause no degradation regardless of the set volume level?

Well, it has a tube in active mode, so there will be some degradation due to the tube however it should be small as it's operating in the cathode follower mode iirc. It's hard to say what's "better", active mode will avoid potential issues with input capacitance and impedance at the cost of some additional distortion and noise. I suspect this is all mostly theoretical and there will be small differences in sound if any at all, and even the Sys will be fine for you purposes.

Having said that, if you want the best "theoretical" performance from your Bifrost and also to stay with Schiit equipment your best bet is adding Midgard or Kara for volume control duties and use balanced interconnects everywhere.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the Head-Fi forum where I am also discussing this:

View attachment 365527

That's assuming that his amp has a relatively decent damping factor and low input capacitance. On my SET amp with 100 Kohms, I hear minimal to no sonic difference with volume using Saga OG, but on my HS7, active mode is definitely tighter, punchier and has less bass roll-off than the passive mode even if I make the passive mode louder than the active mode to give volume bias advantage to passive mode. Passive till has more bass-roll off sounding than active until I'm 3 o'clock on the pot where things start to sound almost indistinguishable to active mode which could mean the output impedance is a lot closer to source output impedance at that point.

I'd say try listen from BF2/64 straight to monitors with software volume attenuation and now max out the volume on the software and let the Sys attenuate the volume. If you hear minimal to no difference then your LSR305 should have a higher input impedance than the Yamaha studio monitors

Top Bottom