• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

poxymoron

I thought they rate rating is for the product not the review.
Maybe someone has very different opinions on what makes a DAC/AMP poor or good?

I see many reason to personalty dislike this product.
From design over price.
Maybe some personalty think a DAC that need an extra power cord and is not USB powered is poor... i think i shuld be USB C powered!

Performance is good from what i can see from the measurements.
But i think the rating is a personal opinion and not everyone has the same prioritys

For many the 9€ Apple USB C DAC is all the ever need and they can’t her any difference with a better DAC/AMP
for them this Produkt for 420$ is a poor deal.
Rating the product, yes, not the review.

Gio

Forum Donor
I thought they rate rating is for the product not the review.
Maybe someone has very different opinions on what makes a DAC/AMP poor or good?

I see many reason to personalty dislike this product.
From design over price.
Maybe some personalty think a DAC that need an extra power cord and is not USB powered is poor... i think i shuld be USB C powered!

Performance is good from what i can see from the measurements.
But i think the rating is a personal opinion and not everyone has the same prioritys

For many the 9€ Apple USB C DAC is all the ever need and they can’t her any difference with a better DAC/AMP
for them this Produkt for 420$ is a poor deal.
What it is difficult to understand in the name "Audio Science Review"? it's not "Audio Personal Review". You insist over the word "Personalty". But this site has a different approach. (and by the way the measures of dongles are not comparable with these desktop products)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
52372A94-69CC-493C-93A6-556BAA662F30.jpeg

I really like the way these look. Reminds me of my old Realistic and Sherwood receivers I got as hand-me-downs when I was a kid.
The look is very similar to Daniel Weiss products—at 1/10th the price!

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L30 amp circuit is strangely 99%+ the same as the one in sabaj's dac+amps. Choice of parts, zobel resistor/feedback network, etc.
@JohnYang1997 (if you were involved), will the upcoming L30-II have much things improved?
Has that been discussed in this forum before? I guess I missed it.

Lambda

Major Contributor
What it is difficult to understand in the name "Audio Science Review"? it's not "Audio Personal Review". You insist over the word "Personalty". But this site has a different approach. (and by the way the measures of dongles are not comparable with these desktop products)
Then why ask the users about there opinion and let them rate.
As i said this product has for many users objectively no audible improvement over a product that cost 1/10, is smaller and USB powered.

If something can’t give You and audible improvement why would you Have to give it a good rating?
How about a Power Cable that is objectively better but extensive and has no audible improvement.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I grew up in a time when the 'reference' class (Krell, Mark LEvinson, Burmester) were unaffordable for even a middle class chap. It's wonderful to see how technology and engineering has made these so affordable. Top marks to Sabaj. All we need now is an affordable power amp in the 100w->8Ohm class. Endgame.
Do the Hypex amps count as affordable? But perhaps active speakers are the way to go.

Gio

Forum Donor
Then why ask the users about there opinion and let them rate.
As i said this product has for many users objectively no audible improvement over a product that cost 1/10, is smaller and USB powered.

If something can’t give You and audible improvement why would you Have to give it a good rating?
How about a Power Cable that is objectively better but extensive and has no audible improvement.
"Objectively" ??? As you will be fully aware, I hope, in order to compare two gear, you have to do the following things:

1. blind listening
2. identical (!!!) volume level

If the first can be, let's say, easily realized, the second is reserved only for those who have precision instruments. A slight difference in volume distorts the judgment you give of the devices. All tests made outside these criteria are worth nothing.

Lambda

Major Contributor
in order to compare two gear, you have to do the following things:
I was thinking to Objectively compare them you can look at the measurements...
But you seam to think there is something more you can only hear?!

the second is reserved only for those who have precision instruments.
"precision instruments." to relatively compare to signal to each other within a fraction of a dB you can uses an sondcard with an input or any old 5€ hardware store Digital multimeter.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L30 amp circuit is strangely 99%+ the same as the one in sabaj's dac+amps. Choice of parts, zobel resistor/feedback network, etc.
@JohnYang1997 (if you were involved), will the upcoming L30-II have much things improved?

I'm a big fan of IP protection, but if there is no IP or expired IP related to the circuit, then there's not much you can say about it. There is still a lot in terms of choices for components, laying out the PCB, quality control, etc. Would be good to hear what @JohnYang1997 has to add to this story. I would much rather buy from the IP innovator if the IP is truly being "stolen."

Variants of this classic 1966 topology is reportedly still used today.

McIntosh continues to use a similar overall circuit for the MC275, although some would argue that the vacuum tubes of the 60s and 70s were higher quality than the ones today if you had a time machine (with the ones today being better than the 50-60 year old tubes)

Gio

Forum Donor
I was thinking to Objectively compare them you can look at the measurements...
But you seam to think there is something more you can only hear?!

"precision instruments." to relatively compare to signal to each other within a fraction of a dB you can uses an sondcard with an input or any old 5€ hardware store Digital multimeter.
"I was thinking to Objectively compare them you can look at the measurements..." you don't find this statement in my text.

"you can uses an sondcard with an input or any old 5€". Only professional instruments are able to manage 1 Db precision which is the minimum required to make an proper comparison.

Lambda

Major Contributor
you don't find this statement in my text.
in order to compare two gear, you have to do the following things:

1. blind listening
2. identical (!!!) volume level
So no you don't have to. you can compare DACs by measurements only.

Only professional instruments are able to manage 1 Db precision which is the minimum required to make an proper comparison.
to make a Relative compression that to electrical signal are the same level relative to each other.
this can be done with extremely cheap instruments like a consumer ADC or DMM.

If you don't think so you seam to have no idea what you are talking about.

Gio

Forum Donor
So no you don't have to. you can compare DACs by measurements only.

to make a Relative compression that to electrical signal are the same level relative to each other.
this can be done with extremely cheap instruments like a consumer ADC or DMM.

If you don't think so you seam to have no idea what you are talking about.
Instead, it seems to me you make confusion over "sondcard with an input or any old 5€ hardware store Digital multimeter" with "ADC or DMM". Are they the same? Are you that competent? please ....... (Last message)

Lambda

Major Contributor
A sound card with an input is an ADC (analog to digital converter) and and a DMM is (digital multi meter) pritty common to uses this abbreviation.

F1308

Major Contributor
Congratulations.
Next step: adding lossless Bluetooth.

Trell

Major Contributor
Voted “fine” as in this age of excellently measuring devices at way beyond audibility as well as great price point, I want more of other features, like EQ, tone controls, dynamic loudness, service, support etc.

Top Bottom