• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Salk Song Surround v. Dynaudio X12

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For any that might be interested, I have a pair of Dynaudio X12s that I use on my desktop system. I am trying a pair of Salk Song Surrounds (a bit big). They initially sounded boring, but after a little time sounded more transparent and open. I decided to run some REW measurements to compare. These are at the listening position which is a bit over 3 feet (1 meter for the rest of the world). The first set of measurements use 1/12 octave smoothing. The second psycho acoustic. I have offset the left and right by 10 db to make it easier to view. The measurements were taken at about 85 db.

Interestingly, the X12s sound like they have a lot more bass, but measure very close. The Salks sound better at lower levels than the X12, still alive, where the X12 sound a bit dead when turned down. When listening, I did not match levels when switching speakers, but do my critical listening at 77db (for the pair) when measured at -20dbfs, and use -20db volume leveling, so am essentially listening at Bob Katz recommended monitoring levels.

x12 v. Song no grill.jpg
x12 v. Song no grill psy smooth.jpg

Top Bottom