• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Modi Multibit 2 vs. Topping E50. Multibit (+NOS) vs. Delta Sigma

OP
Bow_Wazoo

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I also have many dsd files (unfortunately).
But that is not important at all.
For processing Neutron Player has to convert to PCM anyway.
Can't say I care for schiit. They don't support DSD.. and input is limited to 24/192 pcm.
I also have many dsd files (unfortunately).
But that is not important at all.
For processing Neutron Player has to convert to PCM anyway.

Sokel

Master Contributor
There are very large timing errors between the two captures (not just a simple delay or clock drift, but large jitter, actual large timing errors between samples). With DeltaWave you can still align these, although it'll warn you that the error is too large. The level difference is 0.1dB.

Once you perform the alignment, the result "looks" much better than the raw, unmatched waveforms:

View attachment 278081

View attachment 278083

View attachment 278084

View attachment 278085
It did warn me and I choose the alternative method.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It did warn me and I choose the alternative method.

That's fine too, but you can just tell it not to use the alternative method. The plots you posted were for the original waveforms/spectrum -- unaligned, so very much mismatched. You can see the difference a proper alignment makes when compared to the versions I posted.

OP
Bow_Wazoo

Bow_Wazoo

Here my comparison

tbw.JPG
tby.JPG

msy.JPG
msw.JPG

Y.JPG
W.JPG

Y - Blue
W- White
xy.jpg

Zoomed in to 500-2000Hz
Y-Green
AAWY.JPG

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's fine too, but you can just tell it not to use the alternative method. The plots you posted were for the original waveforms/spectrum -- unaligned, so very much mismatched. You can see the difference a proper alignment makes when compared to the versions I posted.
So,the originals do not correspond to the actual spectrum?Or is incomparable because of the timing errors?
If the timing errors come from the DUTs I'll like to see that and to be comparable.What way would I do that?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So,the originals do not correspond to the actual spectrum?Or is incomparable because of the timing errors?
If the timing errors come from the DUTs I'll like to see that and to be comparable.What way would I do that?

Yes, timing/clock differences can make a large difference in spectrum plots.

The clock drift error plot in DW will tell you that if you don’t use alternative drift alignment. Blue is before the correction, white is after clock drift is removed by DeltaWave:
1681042455015.png

Zooming in on the white line (drift removed) will tell you remaining timing errors, that seem to be in the range of 1-2 samples across the two files:

1681042523750.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes, timing/clock differences can make a large difference in spectrum plots.

The clock drift error plot in DW will tell you that if you don’t use alternative drift alignment. Blue is before the correction, white is after clock drift is removed by DeltaWave:
View attachment 278095

Zooming in on the white line (drift removed) will tell you remaining timing errors, that seem to be in the range of 1-2 samples across the two files:

View attachment 278096
Ok,that's against the original file,each time I ignored the alternative to see:

Multibit clock drift:

Multibit drift.PNG

DS clock drift:

DS drift drift.PNG

I hope those two are comparable.
And the question,in normal playback do we hear the original spectrum showed in DW or the corrected one?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok,that's against the original file,each time I ignored the alternative to see:

Multibit clock drift:

View attachment 278098

DS clock drift:

View attachment 278099

I hope those two are comparable.
And the question,in normal playback do we hear the original spectrum showed in DW or the corrected one?

We don't hear a small difference in clock speeds, but because it shifts frequencies around, it can look very different when compared on a zoomed-in spectrum plot.

Sokel

Master Contributor
We don't hear a small difference in clock speeds, but because it shifts frequencies around, it can look very different when compared on a zoomed-in spectrum plot.
Yep,it makes sense if shifting,so in normal playback the difference will be small I guess.
(you have to admit,original spectrum seems super weird even if it's a 115db SINAD DAC against 70db SINAD one!)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep,it makes sense if shifting,so in normal playback the difference will be small I guess.
(you have to admit,original spectrum seems super weird!)

Right, but just as the waveforms weren't aligned in the raw plots, the spectrum plots were also not aligned due to the differences in clock speed (clock drift). Drift was measured by DW at around 6.7ppm, so not huge, and will not be audible.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I get 67.28 ppm for multibit and 65.75 ppm for DS against the original and 1.39ppm against each other if you're talking about the drift reported at the bottom.
So the fight is against the original.
Thanks!

w clock.PNGy clock.PNGY to W clock.PNG

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a significantly larger drift when measured against the original. I was measuring DS against Multibit... if I understand the files naming convention correctly.
Yes,you can see it in the naming above in my screenshots,the one with the artist name is the original (not recorded),Y is DS and W is multibit (both of them recorded by OP).

Omen

I have added the original files

Yes, again W sounds more lively, energetic, more realistic, fuller. But Y is closer to "original track ".
Do you think so?
For me point is to capture original sound of recording. Y is more transparent, like original recording and W is more like real music,before recording,maybe little colored to sound like that??...

OP
Bow_Wazoo

Bow_Wazoo

I've the IMPRESSION, that the MMB2 sounds more pleasant.
I've not yet done a blind test.

randing

Schiit Modi Multibit 2 vs. Topping E50.
Multibit (+NOS) vs. Delta Sigma.

Is there an audible difference?

Two tracks, recorded three times. 1x E50, 1x MMb2 OS, 1x NOS.

Have fun

Thank you for this. Good choice of devices for this demo in that according to the people much smarter than myself, one measures like shit and one measures exceptionally well. W is my preference for both files.

Last edited:
Top Bottom