• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schitt Sol Turntable

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I haven’t seen any recent reviews of the RE-tooled table. Can anyone point me to one?
I didn’t shit on the Schitt earlier, in fact I thought they were pretty cool just for admitting that the thing wasn’t ready for prime time on the first go-round.

I’m not going to go back 25 pages but I do seem to remember they were getting shit on for trying to do the right thing.

However, I’m in the market for a new turntable and the short list is the SL-1200G. It is the only one on the list right now because it’s about as turn-key as it gets.

Is the new Schitt have less fiddly?
If you want turn-key, look at the Rega in your price range. They have been around forever and always been hard to beat for the money.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not going to go back 25 pages but I do seem to remember they were getting shit on for trying to do the right thing.
No one complains about it when someone 'does the right thing'.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you want turn-key, look at the Rega in your price range. They have been around forever and always been hard to beat for the money.

The Technics 1200G he mentions is $4K.

I agree that Rega makes nice entry level tables, but I wouldn't spend $4K on a Rega.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I haven’t seen any recent reviews of the RE-tooled table. Can anyone point me to one?
I didn’t shit on the Schitt earlier, in fact I thought they were pretty cool just for admitting that the thing wasn’t ready for prime time on the first go-round.

However, I’m in the market for a new turntable and the short list is the SL-1200G. It is the only one on the list right now because it’s about as turn-key as it gets.

Is the new Schitt have less fiddly?
I have an SL-1200GR, the 1200G’s little brother. There is no real design difference between the two, rather, it’s the construction materials. If you have never had a turntable before, you may find the little bit of assembly required when you first get it to be a bit of fuss. But, if you have had a turntable before, you’ll probably find the setup to be nearly plug ‘n play.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree that Rega makes nice entry level tables, but I wouldn't spend $4K on a Rega.
I'm so out of touch I didn't realise they had got that expensive. My 20 year old P9, the first of their high end decks was £1800 with arm (RB900) when I bought it, it's still working perfectly, and it sounds much better to me that any other deck I've ever spent any real time with. It replaced a Roksan Xerxes, which needed careful fettling from experts now and again, last time it was serviced Touraj Moghaddam did it.

FWIW I would buy another expensive Rega, but something bad would have to happen to the existing one first.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm so out of touch I didn't realise they had got that expensive. My 20 year old P9, the first of their high end decks was £1800 with arm (RB900) when I bought it, it's still working perfectly, and it sounds much better to me that any other deck I've ever spent any real time with. It replaced a Roksan Xerxes, which needed careful fettling from experts now and again, last time it was serviced Touraj Moghaddam did it.

FWIW I would buy another expensive Rega, but something bad would have to happen to the existing one first.

I think the Regas are better value for money in the UK vs US due to currency exchange.

The Rega Planar 10 is $5,695 in the US, which is more than the Technics SL-1200G ($3999), but with inferior speed stability and a less adjustable tonearm. The Planar 8 is closer in price ($3095 without cartridge).

Some might say the Regas sound better than the Technics, but I haven't heard them side by side with the same cartridge, so I have no opinion on that.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
In the UK, you can get a Technics 1500C for well under s grand - looks like a stripped out higher model but not sure...

https://petertyson.co.uk/technics-sl1500-turntable

As Rega are local to us, a Planar 6/Neo-supply is a bit of a no-brainer too in all honesty.

All this where Thorens have tweaked up the old TD160 concept and taking the price to silly levels -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thorens_t...7u-FuAbBF_jEZyEOZ7PaT-PATWjVIneRoChaIQAvD_BwE

Some of the prices today are more 'How much can we get away with' I reckon, rather than being competitive on price, but maybe I'm too darned old now, as I remember original versions of these things from the mid 70's!!!

In the above company, the Sol is quite cheap really...

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
The Technics 1200G he mentions is $4K.

I didn't realise the 1200G is $4k. The Planar 10 is in that price bracket but I agree, I would not spend that much on a Rega. I think of Rega as being near-unbeatable sub £1k (~$1.3k), especially if you want a turn-key solution. Above that, I can't imagine buying anything new, except perhaps for a Michel Gyrodec, which at least looks great (along with good-enough performance). Vinyl just isn't worth it IMO.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Bloody hell!!! I paid eighty odd quid for a nice TD125 around twelve years ago. Mk1 had better bearing than the mk2 (less or no slop), I preferred the old broken rib '124' mat, got a blank board from the US and drilled it for a Rega R200 I had here. Sounded bloomin' wonderful. I needed funds quickly a few years back and sold it to a dealer pal who kept it in dry storage (minus arm) for three years or so before offering it back. I could probably have had it for what he gave me (around a ton) but I preferred to take my Quad 33/303 instead which makes a lovely ornament in the collection. He got over two hundred for it on another forum :( I really liked that one and a gifted TD160bmk2 I have here just isn't the same, despite fitting it to a 'Super' plinth and putting an EMT (160 Super) mat on it.

Things we do for lack of funds eh?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I didn't realise the 1200G is $4k. The Planar 10 is in that price bracket but I agree, I would not spend that much on a Rega. I think of Rega as being near-unbeatable sub £1k (~$1.3k), especially if you want a turn-key solution. Above that, I can't imagine buying anything new, except perhaps for a Michel Gyrodec, which at least looks great (along with good-enough performance). Vinyl just isn't worth it IMO.

I bought a vintage Michell Gyro SE for about $900 (it's made of metal!), then spent more updating it to current specs and adding an SME M2-9R.

As you said, the Michell looks great.

And despite the fiddling of getting the suspension bounce right, it's pretty solidly built with cast metal parts.

DSJR

Major Contributor

The newish Planar 10 is reference class and with Apheta 3 cartridge and carefully sited (the only real niggle), it's as clean sounding as the record you're playing, but it doesn't take prisoners on worn or badly produced discs. One definitely for the head I suspect, where the similar priced much improved Linn LP12 'Majik' fitted with a half decent cartridge (not a cheap Linn one like the Adikt or Krystal) will charm the pants off you in comparison even if it's not as 'literal' sounding as the source file or tape..

Me? I flashed a huge grin of recognition to the poster here with the Garrard SL95 deck in his avatar :D I seem to have a thing with Garrard Glue (the greases and oils they used which turns to Araldite after half a century :p )

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The newish Planar 10 is reference class and with Apheta 3 cartridge and carefully sited (the only real niggle), it's as clean sounding as the record you're playing, but it doesn't take prisoners on worn or badly produced discs. One definitely for the head I suspect, where the similar priced much improved Linn LP12 'Majik' fitted with a half decent cartridge (not a cheap Linn one like the Adikt or Krystal) will charm the pants off you in comparison even if it's not as 'literal' sounding as the source file or tape..

I just can't abide a TT that costs what the Planar 10 costs and doesn't allow for cartridge azimuth adjustment.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
In the UK, you can get a Technics 1500C for well under s grand - looks like a stripped out higher model but not sure...

https://petertyson.co.uk/technics-sl1500-turntable

As Rega are local to us, a Planar 6/Neo-supply is a bit of a no-brainer too in all honesty.

All this where Thorens have tweaked up the old TD160 concept and taking the price to silly levels -

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thorens_t...7u-FuAbBF_jEZyEOZ7PaT-PATWjVIneRoChaIQAvD_BwE

Some of the prices today are more 'How much can we get away with' I reckon, rather than being competitive on price, but maybe I'm too darned old now, as I remember original versions of these things from the mid 70's!!!

In the above company, the Sol is quite cheap really...
Got to agree with most of that, and it's weird to see a TD160 derivative cost more than a (basic) LP12. I have a used LP12 and wouldn't change it, but if I had to, I would find it hard to see past another used LP12: there are so many out there, with so many options. Forced to buy new, the Gyrodec SE looks like a bargain.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Me? I flashed a huge grin of recognition to the poster here with the Garrard SL95 deck in his avatar :D I seem to have a thing with Garrard Glue (the greases and oils they used which turns to Araldite after half a century :p )
The recent high-end Regas no doubt perform, but just don't look worth the money. I know, I shouldn't have that prejudice, but I can't help it.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The recent high-end Regas no doubt perform, but just don't look worth the money. I know, I shouldn't have that prejudice, but I can't help it.
Mine looks like a very simple device, and it is, and I could have bought a second hand SME deck from a friend at the time for basically the same money, a deck I'd listened to a lot, the only thing I had to consider was how to say no politely.

Top Bottom