• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Streamc

Also interesting question. Why there is so many filters on DAC chip? I can't hear difference between them on one DAC. Really no difference. Why do they exist?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hitting the ignore button again. It always comes down to this nonsense, doesn’t it?
You were far more patient than I would have been.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also interesting question. Why there is so many filters on DAC chip? I can't hear difference between them on one DAC. Really no difference. Why do they exist?
I suspect simply to annoy you.

pau

it is similar phenomema as measurements, one can measure but if not done with same equipment, space, time & environment its all account to subject and not comparable. the measurement devices in our field should be calibrated each time (i bet even ASR doesnnt spend 1k per review for calibrations) so they are all subject to errors... i bet whole audio industry believe blindly that the reviewer has Calibrated the measurement devices before each review and can trust the outcomes?

Simple example:

UMIK REW measurements -> calibrated fresh in factory ( temp, humidity etc. -> transfer via packages (shaking etc) -> you buy it -> should be re calibrated for accuracy current temp+hum ( look at the small sensor with zoom cam , dust particles, temp, hump all change outcome.).

it is all subjective until done correctly or proven as margin or errror.

Streamc

Hitting the ignore button again. It always comes down to this nonsense, doesn’t it?
Just irony. But I need more strong proof.
I can't hear difference on filters of one DAC.
Why there is many of them? But I can hear different DAC obviously.

Streamc

I suspect simply to annoy you.
I use first (default). It does not annoy me if they sound totally same. But it force me to ask questions. If filter can affect sound signature theoretically why other DAC don't?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You were far more patient than I would have been.
Perhaps. His posts came off as hostile before, but I attributed it to the language barrier.

The journey with these folks certainly has a rhythm: They perceive a difference, we doubt it, they become affronted (which is sort of understandable), they lash back claiming your ears aren’t as good. If they hang around we get to the “things that cannot be measured” debate. But always the hang up is the same - ASR generally demands evidence of assertions and this prompts either condescension towards knowledge and hearing, or outright claims that we are “deniers”.

Honestly, I don’t know which is funnier, accusing this community of being “deniers” or of lacking knowledge of the subject. Personally, having worked in retail audio many years ago, the assertion that working in audio retail constitutes any kind of audio expertise makes me laugh the loudest. I have yet to meet an audio salesman who spoke from fundamental sound and psychoacoustic concepts. Not once.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use first (default). It does not annoy me if they sound totally same. But it force me to ask questions. I'd filter can affect sound signature theoretically why other DAC don't?
No one here designed that DAC. Which you know. Ergo, that is at best a rhetorical question.

Streamc

it is similar phenomema as measurements, one can measure but if not done with same equipment, space, time & environment its all account to subject and not comparable. the measurement devices in our field should be calibrated each time (i bet even ASR doesnnt spend 1k per review for calibrations) so they are all subject to errors... i bet whole audio industry believe blindly that the reviewer has Calibrated the measurement devices before each review and can trust the outcomes?

Simple example:

UMIK REW measurements -> calibrated fresh in factory ( temp, humidity etc. -> transfer via packages (shaking etc) -> you buy it -> should be re calibrated for accuracy current temp+hum ( look at the small sensor with zoom cam , dust particles, temp, hump all change outcome.).

it is all subjective until done correctly or proven as margin or errror.
Yes, same amplifier, same speaker, same level of output.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps. His posts came off as hostile before, but I attributed it to the language barrier.

The journey with these folks certainly has a rhythm: They perceive a difference, we doubt it, they become affronted (which is sort of understandable), they lash back claiming your ears aren’t as good. If they hang around we get to the “things that cannot be measured” debate. But always the hang up is the same - ASR generally demands evidence of assertions and this prompts either condescension towards knowledge and hearing, or outright claims that we are “deniers”.

Honestly, I don’t know which is funnier, accusing this community of being “deniers” or of lacking knowledge of the subject. Personally, having worked in retail audio many years ago, the assertion that working in audio retail constitutes any kind of audio expertise makes me laugh the loudest. I have yet to meet an audio salesman who spoke from fundamental sound and psychoacoustic concepts. Not once.
A good salesman knows, you sell what you have. That often requires a certain flexibility in outlook and integrity.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rhetorical question is in the head of theme.
I don't know what that means; but no one here can answer it, no matter how much you ask.

Streamc

I never told that things can't be measured. Your generalisation is wrong.

Streamc

I don't know what that means; but no one here can answer it, no matter how much you ask.
It means

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?​

It is rhetorical question. Because if it were not rhetorical, it would have an answer.
I think you biased.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It means

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?​

It is rhetorical question. Because if it were not rhetorical, it would have an answer.
I think you based.
I suggest you keep asking then, using larger and larger bolded text.

Streamc

Hostile? Only in your head.

pau

Yes, same amplifier, same speaker, same level of output.
best bet is to take the reviews with grain of salt until there is consistency within the spectum, everyone can say this and that. What i like about science is that you can allways second quess and until proven the point is valid. in my case i second guess the measurements but i migh be proven to correct my view.

After all its what makes science worth a dime,. Hence i wouldnt trust anyone else than my own ears to judge what works for me.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is copy. You are too emotional.

Not as big as your emotions.
They are large emotions. World spanning and encompassing all time.

Streamc

best bet is to take the reviews with grain of salt until there is consistency within the spectum, everyone can say this and that. What i like about science is that you can allways second quess and until proven the point is valid. in my case i second guess the measurements but i migh be proven to correct my view.

After all its what makes science worth a dime.
I would not buy bad measurement equipment. Also I know for every equipment there is the point where measurements above that point would not affect much or totally to human perception. 160 SINAD or 155. I can't even hear difference on some music tests.
Once I can't hear difference between 2 speaker on one simple song by Supertramp 1997 album intro. Until bass appeared.

Top Bottom