• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling M0 Pro DAP Review

Rate this audio player:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 72 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

aschen

My 9yo girl loves music but we don't want her on an internet device all the time, was thinking of getting something like this for her. Dumb question if someone will humor me:

How do people generally put music on these things currently. Havent touched an music file in a decade. I have an attic full of CDs but don't want to do any ripping. Have tidal and amazon prime, can I check out music to an SD card? Are people still buying MP3 and music files?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How do people generally put music on these things currently. Havent touched an music file in a decade. I have an attic full of CDs but don't want to do any ripping. Have tidal and amazon prime, can I check out music to an SD card? Are people still buying MP3 and music files?
I don't think any of those methods work for putting music on it. You will need to rip your own music to transfer to it using a computer. While those services do allow offline storage, I am pretty sure that is limited to specific platforms like Android and iOS.

Long time ago, when we (Microsoft) supported such things, you could indeed do that but I don't think current services can.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 9yo girl loves music but we don't want her on an internet device all the time, was thinking of getting something like this for her. Dumb question if someone will humor me:

Does your daughter like your music? It very easy to rip it to a SD card. I did 1200 CDs and the software does all of the work. But purchasing from Amazon prime is easy too but can get pricey for a nine year old.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a M0 Pro but don't use it very often, as I happen to prefer the HiBy R2-II for its slightly better usability (larger screen...) and longer list of features (WiFi...). To me, these small DAPs (Shanling M0 Pro & M1S, Hiby R2-II & R3-II) are the audio equivalent of the proverbial Swiss Army knife... In the case of the Hiby R2-II or R3-II, they can act as: DAP (obviously, limited only by microSD size and possibly a couple of 10,000s tracks number limit in the internal database), DAC (connect to the USB-C), digital transport (connect from the USB-C, or through a 3.5mm/coax adapter) , BT receiver, BT transmitter, DLNA renderer, AirPlay renderer, plus you have a local EQ (& MSEB for the Hiby's), WiFi file transfer, a local (basic) Qobuz & TIDAL app, an iOS/Android remote control app (Hiby Music for the Hiby's, Eddict Player for the Shanling's) working through BT or (Hiby) WiFi. The M0 Pro list of features is only slightly shorter (no WiFi)...
Now, in any of these scenario, are they the best available option? Absolutely no !!! But that's not the point... My most common use case of the R2-II: as a digital transport to a Topping G5, playing from the local storage, or through AirPlay/DLNA, around the house as a "transportable" combo, all managed from my phone.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not sure about Tidal but its easy on Qobuz

Method 1. Download Music from Qobuz with a Subscription​

Like other subscription-based streaming music services, the download option of Qobuz is open to subscribers. Specifically, Qobuz offers a one-month free trial, after which you must upgrade to two different subscription tiers - Studio Premier and Studio Sublime. Once you've subscribed to either, you can download Qobuz tracks through the following steps.
Step 1: Download and start the Qobuz application (or directly head to the Qobuz web player).

Step 2: Tap your name on the top right corner. Then click on "My Profile > My Music > Download tab."

Step 3: Click "Access Download" next to the album you want to download. Once it is downloaded, you can stream high-quality tracks or albums offline.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not sure about Tidal but its easy on Qobuz

Method 1. Download Music from Qobuz with a Subscription​

Like other subscription-based streaming music services, the download option of Qobuz is open to subscribers. Specifically, Qobuz offers a one-month free trial, after which you must upgrade to two different subscription tiers - Studio Premier and Studio Sublime. Once you've subscribed to either, you can download Qobuz tracks through the following steps.
Step 1: Download and start the Qobuz application (or directly head to the Qobuz web player).

Step 2: Tap your name on the top right corner. Then click on "My Profile > My Music > Download tab."

Step 3: Click "Access Download" next to the album you want to download. Once it is downloaded, you can stream high-quality tracks or albums offline.
Pretty sure all that works for their own player, not for transferring to an SD card to play on this music player. Such content would have not have no DRM which would violate their terms and license with content owners.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It very easy to rip it to a SD card. I did 1200 CDs and the software does all of the work.
Just the tedious task of inserting/removing 1200 CDs is no small job... I recall that it took me a few months to transfer my meager ~600 CD collection.
The whole task is no picnic... but it was worth the trouble.:)

ADD: I would not recommend ripping them directly to SD card(s), as such memory devices can become temperamental (speed/corruption/loss/etc.), at times.

Last edited:

CedarX

Forum Donor
Pretty sure all that works for their own player, not for transferring to an SD card to play on this music player. Such content would have not have no DRM which would violate their terms and license with content owners.
That's also my experience: Qobuz players (iOS, Android) have an option to "import" tracks which makes them available offline, but you don't have access to the actual FLAC (or other format) file, it must be encrypted in some "cache" file structure.
What you can do is download tracks/albums you purchased in the Qobuz download store: they are available in several formats (e.g. FLAC) and you can perfectly download them multiple times, copy them as many times you want and wherever you want (e.g microSD card) for personal use--no DRM.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What you can do is download tracks/albums you purchased in the Qobuz download store: they are available in several formats (e.g. FLAC) and you can perfectly download them multiple times, copy them as many times you want and wherever you want (e.g microSD card) for personal use--no DRM.
Thats the ticket for you @aschen .
I got a feeling your daughter might not be reall excited over the music in you attic anyway.
It's gonna cost you a few bucks, but that's what kids do. ;)

Triliza

Forum Donor
Cute little guy, when I first saw it I was hoping it might be a more modern replacement for my very ageing Sansa Clip +.
But the minute I read about the swipe touch control panel I knew it wasn't for me, I hate those damn things. The first remote
I got for my Apple 4K has one and its junk to use. Later generation units went back to a conventional 5 way controller.
Oh well, for my uses, portable music in my trunk, at the poolside, etc, my little Sansa still fills the bill for me and they're still available everywhere for mostly under $50

81biig9k52L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Had one of this for many years, with rockbox it was perfect for audiobooks. Couldn't find to buy a new one as this model is discontinued, if you have any link please share :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Really, a quick search on Ebay and Amazon brings hundreds both new and used.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is indispensable for work emails (being able to open and read Word and Excel files on the go) as well as photography. And for posting in forums!
There is nothing in my world important enough (maybe [nope, still use an SLR for that]) to cause me to carry a smart phone.
But a good small DAP, that I can plug into a stereo system: yep!

julian_hughes

"Fine" with me, though I don't quite understand the purpose of such players, considering everybody has a portable player already, which is a smartphone. Maybe to save space on said smartphone?
Even tiny players like this have much greater output level than a smartphone. If you use sensitive IEMs it hardly matters, the phone will be fine. But if you use headphones or even less sensitive IEMs then the low output levels of smartphones may become a significant obstacle to enjoying your music.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My 9yo girl loves music but we don't want her on an internet device all the time
I am neither a fan of IEMs or novels. :oops:
But I did endure all 5 novels of GeorgeRRMartin's "Games of Thrones" using IEMs via my portable media player.
It was my first and my last time ever using IEMs.:confused:
Having an eBook-reader for your 9yo daughter may be a good feature.

Hart

It would be interesting to see how well the original Apple Ipod performed.

respice finem

Major Contributor

oscar_dziki

The range of functionality of the M0 (and presumably the newer Pro version) is interesting....

M0 can act as a source and drive a USB DAC - I've had it working with my Topping D50s and it will play through my Moondrop FreeDSP USB-C IEM cable.
I wasn't aware of such a product - Moondrop FreeDSP USB-C IEM cable.
How is it working for you? What iems are you using with it?

PenguinMusic

"Fine" with me, though I don't quite understand the purpose of such players, considering everybody has a portable player already, which is a smartphone. Maybe to save space on said smartphone?
Hi,
Sure, but you probably noticed that most of those smartphones offer limited storage space and that this storage space is often consumend almost entirely by your cats pictures and your partty movies :)
So you may need to store music elsewhere and there, the dedicated player cmes in handy...

Of course you may reply that tyou can always stream from Qobuz or Tidal.
But then again, you're not always in areas with a nice connection for one, and not always have enough data transfer in your plan to listen to music all day long.

Regards

Top Bottom