• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

usern

$350? Seriously, had I bought the D30Pro+A30Pro I would be punching the air right now.
A30Pro can deliver so much more power. If it doesn't die on me again I have no regrets

I have A30pro and I'm thinking what difference there would be to pair it with this EX5 or D30pro.

mslim

I am not too familiar with streamers (DIY or otherwise) but what are the features in a streamer I should be looking for in order to get the best connection to this?

mslim

Digital out is really all you need.

Ok. Looks like the Andover Songbird is the cheap go to device for me with the optical out. I think the unit's internal DAC can be bypassed.... it is mentioned. Finding out.....

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But there's balanced out!

darth-vader-nooo.jpg
It was said that you would bring balance to the sound!

F1308

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if the Bluetooth implemented in Topping DAC/Preamps (D90SE-EX5) will have a lag low enough (say under 40 or 30 ms) to allow playing live music from a keyboard, please ?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
A30Pro can deliver so much more power. If it doesn't die on me again I have no regrets

I have A30pro and I'm thinking what difference there would be to pair it with this EX5 or D30pro.

Multitone seems a little bit worse in the bass for the D30pro (than comparable sabre or even AKM dacs), idk why but cirrus chips seem to do that. Also have you considered SMSL SU-9 (at least the post firmware fixed version)?

Jimmy

Sure, the XMOS controller can do DSP, but to be truly usable that would require a larger screen and adapted controls (like RME does), and also software development (one of RME's strong points, probably chinese manufacturers are behind in that aspect).

If someone was able to implement PEQ in a simple way (probably loading the data from a PC), and then just switching presets, that would be a nice step forward in functionality.

Apart from that the EX5 seems to tick almost all boxes, but, is it a Shentzenaudio exclusive product?, nothing against them, but in Europe, for warranty I tend to buy from Amazon directly (they sell Topping, Gustard, etc., not all models and normally a bit more expensive than 3rd party sellers, but the bulletproof warranty is worth it in my opinion)

DSP in this must be a possibility. The XMOS processor needed to manage MQA would easily manage useful EQ, especially if MQA was deleted. So, is the firmware updatedable I wonder.
Something to ponder.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. What a great device! I love the outputs, layout, orange LED display, and performance is there. BT is another plus for many casual users. Digital volume is another great feature.

For a headphone and studio monitor digital setup this thing nails it at a price I can stomach. Great work Topping!

Zensō

Major Contributor
RME killer… almost. At this price, nothing beats it, but I’d love to see the addition of DSP at say, around $499.

In any case, this is going to sell like hotcakes. A nearly perfect, compact desktop setup for headphones and powered monitors.

Tks

Major Contributor
DSP in this must be a possibility. The XMOS processor needed to manage MQA would easily manage useful EQ, especially if MQA was deleted. So, is the firmware updatedable I wonder.
Something to ponder.

DSP is a problem not due to hardware I imagine, just not having the foundation for things like software, and UI considerations.

This sort of screen would not make it at all intuitive. For something like DSP, you either want some device it can hook on to (like a streamer with an app wirelessly syncing), or something like RME, where you need to hire more software devs and UI people to come up with something on a proper display.

gonzoucab

I was thinking yesterday in buying another DAC so i can have DSP for headphones and DSP for Speakers at the same time.

thanks topping.

when monoblocks amps?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This.

Get rid of the MQA crap and I’m ready to upgrade my DX3 Pro for under $300.
Isn't MQA "baked" into the chip itself? Can't be "removed"?

Top Bottom