• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

D

Deleted member 42764

Can anyone confirm if the headphone out is balanced? I know that it has the same power out as the SE out. I've read that this isn't "true" balanced and that it's just there for "convenience" and I'm not sure what to think of that.
I want balanced to stay away from USB noise as much as possible and I don't care about the extra power balanced usually offers. 133mW can get my hd6xx to 119dB which is more than enough for me.
Right now, I'm eyeing the DX3Pro+ as well because it's the same (more or less) but main difference is it's only SE. So if the balanced on the EX5 is not "true" balanced then why would anyone choose it over the DX3Pro+ which is 150$ cheaper?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone confirm if the headphone out is balanced? I know that it has the same power out as the SE out. I've read that this isn't "true" balanced and that it's just there for "convenience" and I'm not sure what to think of that.
I want balanced to stay away from USB noise as much as possible and I don't care about the extra power balanced usually offers. 133mW can get my hd6xx to 119dB which is more than enough for me.
Right now, I'm eyeing the DX3Pro+ as well because it's the same (more or less) but main difference is it's only SE. So if the balanced on the EX5 is not "true" balanced then why would anyone choose it over the DX3Pro+ which is 150$ cheaper?
The front xlr headphone out isnt balanced. The rear XLRs are . The DX3 has no balanced outputs but I agree, if you dont want balanced outputs from the DAC to another amp/ monitors, the DX3 would be a definite option.

EDIT- comparing the charts for this and the DX3 Pro+ headphone outs at 300 and 33 ohm loads, the DX3 clips far later than the EX5 but the EX5 is 5-6 dB less THD for any given output level.

So from a purely technical perspective - if you know you will only ever want 100mw into 300 ohm, the EX5 is a better amp- if you think you need over 130 mw , the DX3 Pro+ is the one to get.

I suspect most users wont need max output on either device so it comes down to if you want balanced rear outputs or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42764

The front xlr headphone out isnt balanced. The rear XLRs are . The DX3 has no balanced outputs but I agree, if you dont want balanced outputs from the DAC to another amp/ monitors, the DX3 would be a definite option.
That was my initial thought, and I'm glad you could confirm that. DX3 suits me better as I only need it for my headphones. If you have any other recommendations for a sub 300$ dac/amp please let me know :)
Thank you and have a great day!

bahamot

With raspberry pi zero 2 w, this EX5 is now complete :D
IMG20220226150142.jpg

Rennokas

Does this one pair well with Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen (32 ohm) headphones? DX3pro+ has clipping issues with 32ohm headphones.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If max power isn't most important.
Ex5 or ifi zen can + ifi zen one would be better ?

Define 'better'.

Does this one pair well with Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen (32 ohm) headphones? DX3pro+ has clipping issues with 32ohm headphones.

My understanding is that you are unlikely to encounter clipping on either unit unless you have headphones with low impedance and that are extremely inefficient (and require maximum volume to achieve desired listening level). I have heard that your T1's can be driven from a smart phone, so they are likely to be on the higher end of the efficiency scale. My HE-4XX are 35 Ohm and I have no issues with them and the EX5.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping combo units are weird. This seems worse than DX3 Pro+. I like the chassis though.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping combo units are weird. This seems worse than DX3 Pro+. I like the chassis though.

The EX5 was designed and built to Shenzhen Audio's specification and came out 4 months before the DX3Pro+. My EX5 replaced a D50s/A50s and could be considered a downgrade in some ways (e.g. loss of balanced headphone output). However, the balanced pre-amp outputs on the EX5 solved a ground loop issue and I greatly prefer the single box solution with integrated PSU, orange display and larger volume control over the x50 stack.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The EX5 was designed and built to Shenzhen Audio's specification and came out 4 months before the DX3Pro+. My EX5 replaced a D50s/A50s and could be considered a downgrade in some ways (e.g. loss of balanced headphone output). However, the balanced pre-amp outputs on the EX5 solved a ground loop issue and I greatly prefer the single box solution with integrated PSU, orange display and larger volume control over the x50 stack.
I wonder how challenging is to design combo units. Topping goes balls to the walls with dacs and amps but combo units a bit underwhelming. EX5 and DX3Pro+ both great products don't get me wrong but feels like they are ''sandbagging''. Older combo units have pretty bad output impedances for example. It's like they have completely different designers.
I really like how this new chassis looks though. EX5 and A30pro looks amazing. I hope Topping can make this chassis for cheaper products too. I understand the D10, E30 and L30 design for their price points but DX3pro+, E50, L50 could use this chassis.

Bruce Diesel

I recently got an EX5 and I am having two issues, which hopefully are just user error, but would like to hear others opinions:
1. Frequent dropouts on Tidal Masters Mqa with content that show up as 96kHz. Front display briefly switches to show 48.0 then switches back. Audio drops.
2. Unit does not stay in Standby. After a brief period it comes back on.

I have downloaded and installed latest firmware, and latest Windows drivers.

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Bruce Diesel

@Bruce Diesel Are you using the USB cable that came with the EX5? Have you tried changing the USB port it's plugged into on your PC?
Yes, I am using the supplied cable. Initially it was plugged into my laptop docking station USB, but moved it to one of the ports on the laptop itself (USB3) with same result.

Bruce Diesel

Yes, I am using the supplied cable. Initially it was plugged into my laptop docking station USB, but moved it to one of the ports on the laptop itself (USB3) with same result.
As an aside, I am able to play Dsd64 content using Foobar without any problems over the USB interface.

Bruce Diesel

I think Tidal needs to be setup to talk to the EX5 directly using WASAPI exclusive mode and software decoding of MQA needs to be turned off. I don't use Tidal myself anymore, but there is an explanation of the required settings here: https://inspiringheadphones.com/are-you-getting-the-best-out-of-tidal-hifi/
Thanks. I have tried these settings. Only get 96kHz when in exclusive mode, so that agrees with the article. They appear to have renamed the "passthrough Mqa" setting in the app to "disable software Mqa" which I set to be true. Still the same problem.

Cincyret

How I use my EX5 or "The swiss army knife of DAC/Amps". Sorry about the length.

My Room: I live in a studio apartment (30 ft long, 14 feet high, 12 feet wide). I have a desk & TV on one wall & a murphy bed opposite. The TV is used as both a TV (streaming & UHD movies) and a PC monitor (Qobuz & Audirvana). I listen either (1) at the desk (speakers about 2' on either side), or (2) a chair (speakers 8' ahead), or (3) from the bed (speakers 9' ahead), or (4) around the apartment.

Equipment: NUC PC & 50" TV at the desk; Mini monitors & small (6.5") sub; stereo AV receiver with HDMI ports; UHD player; two headphones with 12' cables; AND the Topping EX5.

EX5 connections (!): (1) PC to EX5 via USB - both regular windows (qobuz+ Equilizer APO) and ASIO (Audirvana + Fabfilter Pro Q3 [VST3 plugin]); (2) Phone to EX5 via bluetooth LDAC; (3) TV to EX5 via Toslink optical; (4) EX5 Headphone out (a) XLR to DCA closed headphones or (b) 1/4" jack to AKG open headphones; (5) EX5 RCA out to stereo AV receiver.

Listening: (1) Audio Books/podcasts - from phone to EX5 via bluetooth LDAC; (2) Music from PC - a small collection of CD's converted to FLAC, some purchased Hi-Res files, and Qobuz (either from Qobuz or Audirvana); (3) Movies - 4K discs or streaming.

I am thinking of replacing the AV receiver with a Topping PA5 - I have an REL subwoofer so I use the speaker out terminals not the sub out port. Then (maybe) a Minidsp Flex.

EX5 - Small, great sound quality, & just the thing for multi use!

John

Top Bottom