• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Saranna (fullrange, cardioid active floorstander) development thread

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't love the protruding base unless it's maybe an X pattern and doesnt go all the way around. Is it possible to get the cardioid cutout foam in different colors or white? These remind me of the Amphion Krypton which are passive cardioid.

It's possible, but complicates logistics.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot to mention but using Hypex Fusion amp boards is a big, big plus for me. But tower speakers shipping costs are prohibitive in my case here in my country. Probably not a big deal in EU though. Would have used Purifi woofers and passive radiators though. But I love the project idea, wish you success.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Prefer single colour throughout the speaker. No veneer sides.

Thank you for the feedback. That will probably be an option too. :)

Draki

Grille covering the driver section only i.e. abt 2/3 of the front. Maybe double-board the lower 1/3 to get equal visual thickness with the grill on. Yes for the base plate. Just my 2c.

al2002

I'm aware of this. Beyond that, you must forgive me for finding it a bit amusing that one of the first posts in this thread talks about subwoofer integration. :) We currently offer two different active speakers that are explicitly designed for subwoofers. This speaker on the other hand, is meant to cater primarily to those who do not want subwoofers, and want full range sound with only two speakers.

So if you are looking for speakers and plan to integrate with subwoofers, I would strongly recommend that you have a look at the Sigberg Audio SBS.1 or Sigberg Audio MANTA speakers. These are already in sale and available for purchase. To my knowledge there is simply nothing else out there that will give you comparable dynamics or easier subwoofer integration.

Target date and target price for this speaker has not been set. Expect at least 18-24 months of development time until they are ready to ship to the first customers.
Indeed, i expect you know that based on your posts on this forum. Just hope you implement this option on the production model.

However, I'm not sure I understand why you find it so amusing. After all, if you didn’t think it needs a subwoofer why put a subwoofer output on the in the first place?:)

Seriously though, there are some prospective buyers who will think two 20 cm roofers are not sufficient to produce extended Bass at loud levels. As an example, if you look at Floyd Toole’s personal system, he is running Revel Salon 2s with multiple subwoofers.:D

Edit. Do the Mantas allow the user to set a delay if the woofers are not placed close to the main speakers?

Last edited:

al2002

The woofers / woofer enclosure is not cardioid. That would ruin the efficiency / performance below 100hz. The current plan for this speaker is cardioid above ~200-250hz (the woofers cross over to the coax around this frequency).

If you are looking for one of the widest band cardioid systems available, please have a look at the Sigberg Audio MANTA:

We also have a development thread for the MANTA here on ASR:
Thanks for the clarification.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your/our reference,,,
Both the height of center-of-gravity above floor and the size (area) of four-point-supporting base do matter on physical stability against horizontal shaking during an earthquake.

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just for your/our reference,,,
Both the height of center-of-gravity above floor and the size (area) of four-point-supporting base do matter on physical stability against horizontal shaking during an earthquake.

Yeees, that's not a thing here in Norway, so that hasn't been a part of my design considerations so far. But on the other hand I want to make something stable so it doesn't fall over kids and dogs if they bump into it, so the end result will perhaps be the same. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is this intended to be a stand under the Manta?

This is still on the drawing board, but a sub that functions as a stand for the Manta has been discussed in various forms. The way that subwoofer is designed right now, having the Manta on top of it will make the tweeter way too high. So perhaps I'd have to make the sub even slightly taller and then place the Manta upside down on top of it or something. That would give you a total height of 1,5 meters, so it would be pretty substantial. :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
However, I'm not sure I understand why you find it so amusing. After all, if you didn’t think it needs a subwoofer why put a subwoofer output on the in the first place?:)

It is amusing because if you intend to pair them with subwoofers, the Manta would have been an even better purchase. And because I initially got the opposite criticism for the Manta ("Why do you make a speaker with a 12" driver that can't play full range without a subwoofer?").

But I shouldn't be surprised that people don't make logical choices. People mostly make choices based on feelings and existing biases, which makes marketing something of a black art. :D

Anyway, no worries - the plan right now at least is to build in a preset intended for subwoofer use.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In other news, I work hard to make Sigberg Audio speakers work well across genres and music, testing and re-testing as wide a palette of music as possible to ensure YOUR favorite music sounds awesome! And my 2023 Spotify is a proof of that!

I've listened to 101 different genres and 3,171 different artists. Anyone better? :D

Last edited:

poopy

In other news, I work hard to make Sigberg Audio speakers work well across genres and music, testing and re-testing as wide a palette of music as possible to ensure YOUR favorite music sounds awesome! And my 2023 Spotify is a proof of that!

I've listened to 101 different genres and 3,171 different artists. Anyone better? :D
I should confess I used some of your tracks on your playlists (the two on Spotify I'm aware of) to demo some speakers ;)

I discovered some artists I now have on some of my personal playlists....
Thanks for putting those playlists together!

poopy

It is amusing because if you intend to pair them with subwoofers, the Manta would have been an even better purchase. And because I initially got the opposite criticism for the Manta ("Why do you make a speaker with a 12" driver that can't play full range without a subwoofer?").
I also see the Mantas to be more versatile.

Above all for the crowd in both worlds, ie, HiFi and HC (to which I belong). Those already have subs, usually with drivers bigger than 12'', which can be used with the Manta to form a very high performance 4-way system.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't love the protruding base unless it's maybe an X pattern and doesnt go all the way around. Is it possible to get the cardioid cutout foam in different colors or white? These remind me of the Amphion Krypton which are passive cardioid.

What color would you have preferred?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
White would look pretty good I think though not sure on how it would age/dust

Often yellows with age. Light Grey could work I guess. I'm actually looking for an alternate supplier for the felt that covers the ports at the moment. Have ordered samples in black and dark grey.

prestigetone

Often yellows with age. Light Grey could work I guess. I'm actually looking for an alternate supplier for the felt that covers the ports at the moment. Have ordered samples in black and dark grey.
That would look even better! I think your speakers are some of the best looking I have seen.

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
index.php
canton_digital_1.jpg

Your design reminds of this behemoth i saw in 1995, the Canton Digital 1, for 15 000 Deutsche Mark.

You had to have a computer:
p02.jpg

And you had to buy a measurement microphone and install the Canton application to program the DSP-Box:
p20.jpg

If you did it right, you could extend the bass down and at the same time reduce maximum membrane excursion and distortion:
p04.jpg

The DSP allowed you to flatten the frequency response as well as improve impulsive response:
p06.jpg

Back then i didn't fully understand the implications of DSP correction.

Anyway. Just saying.
Go on then. :cool:
History's repeating.
15.000DM was medium income for a year then.
And not enough oligarch-audio enthusiasts that would have supported things like that as today.
Must commit, I personally doubted this new technology then (though owned a PC for 3 years) as my believe was, that coils, caps and resitstors won't do as much harm to the signal as anything computerized.
Times are changing, and hypex plates are on top of my list now, nevertheless my wife is convinced I'm stubborn at all.

Top Bottom