• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Saranna (fullrange, cardioid active floorstander) development thread

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I spend far too much time thinking about that [the name for the new speaker]. And yes, I'm actually trying to find a Norwegian word / use Norwegian spelling as I did with the Inkognito subwoofer (admittedly the word is almost identical in English). But it's pretty hard.

It's tempting to try to find a word connected to music or sound somehow, but strange as it may sound, it appears I am not the first person in history who wanted to do that, so several of my ideas have turned out to be names that have already been used on another loudspeaker (sometimes several :p).

I have found that it's easier to design a new speaker than to come up with a good name for it.

I happen to think "Inkognito" is an absolutely BRILLIANT name for a low-profile subwoofer.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do get why some eventually end up with numbers in the name Revel , JBL ? Old Volvo’s ? For a while the numbering schemes has some logic to it , but this to fades away and becomes just a number . 5 years later you can add mk2 or v2 on it :D

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Where the original sica coax ?

It will experimentally be replaced with this :)

Z005209P-1.jpg

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
This look with wood sides and spaced woofers are not that unusual I like it you already have the slots and coax :) but i’m Weird . Maybe you need grills/cloth in the front ? Weirdos prefer the drivers visible :D but evidently it’s “ugly” according to some ?

Yes, it certainly has a quite traditional look to it now, and that is mostly intentional. Personally I'm not a big fan of speakers with all kinds of odd shapes and angles or that look more like an art installation than a speaker, at the same time I assume many expect something out of the ordinary as you move up the price brackets. It will no longer be just a speaker, it will also be furniture, and perhaps a talking piece at parties.

I like how the Manta in many ways ticks a couple of those boxes, but more as a result of function rather than intentionally making it weird looking.

So I suspect this speaker will end up relatively traditional looking at first glance, but it will be more than meets the eye in these simple sketches. It will of course have high quality finish, we will have some kind of arrangement for feet, etc. What's also not very visible in these flat/simple sketches is the fact that the back is more narrow than the front, so the enclosure will not have flat sides all the way, they will curve inwards at the back.

I also at least in the current drawing have simplified the ports on the side to clean it up, and if we end up going for an 8" coax in the front, the ports on the baffle will go away as well. But that also means 3x8" drivers, so it will look a bit more menacing / like it means business. :)

And yes, there will be grilles. :) Probably covering the black area in the front, so the veneer is still visible on the sides (assuming that design element will be kept).

1702113672109.png

Also testing out @Colonel7 's suggestion of naming it Revenant on for size, thanks for that idea. :)

Karu

Forum Donor
It’s a little dark the name, Revenant, no? Animated corpse with purpose to haunt the living.

Karu

Forum Donor
There is always an option of a kick ass Viking name. Magnus, Knut, Erik, Thor

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It’s a little dark the name, Revenant, no? Animated corpse with purpose to haunt the living.

It literally means "to return" or "someone coming back", admittedly often used in context to mean a ghost. But in isolation the name doesn't mean what you said above, even though I'm sure it has been used that way in movies and popular culture. :)

EDIT: If we stretch it a bit it could refer to the cardioid effect, reaching out and hunting down the reflections before they even reach the walls. :D

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did a very rough quasi-anechoic measurement by splicing nearfield bass + 40cm nearfield of the speaker at 15deg measured indoors.

There's room disturbance/reflection around 150-200hz, and I did not splice in the output of the port directly, not sure how much of the port is picked up by this measurement, but it should be essentially flat to at least 25hz, so if I spliced in the port we'd also see the area from 60-25hz filled in.

Roughly eyeballing this and estimating the port response, I suspect we'd see a -6dB point somewhere around 21-23hz.

1702204104141.png

Last edited:

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reanimator :)
Manta is (as speaker not so?) slender and flat, the floorstand has more volume and is filled with intelligence: something like Orca.
Phonetically fitting, might be problematic for future naming, though.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It literally means "to return" or "someone coming back", admittedly often used in context to mean a ghost. But in isolation the name doesn't mean what you said above, even though I'm sure it has been used that way in movies and popular culture. :)

EDIT: If we stretch it a bit it could refer to the cardioid effect, reaching out and hunting down the reflections before they even reach the walls. :D
"Revenant" as an adjective can be read as you say, but as a noun, it is most often used to refer to a zombie of some kind.

Nothing wrong with having an interesting name but it might turn some people off subconsciously. Solution: just start all your demos with Michael Jackson's Thriller. ;)

Renderings and FR look great.

My process from when I had to name speakers:

1. Everyone with a say in the matter, or who is willing to help, brainstorms as many good names as they can. Pool the names in one list. A good starting point is around 100 possible names.
  2. Everyone with decision-making power eliminates the names they can't live with. This saves the step of executives vetoing the best name after the work is 95% done. (At this point, make sure to practice saying the name out loud. Does it feel too silly?)
  3. Everyone votes on the remaining names they like.
  4. Take the top 5-10 names and perform Google and Trademark searches to make sure they're not taken already.
  5. Remaining names should be tested with the target market via survey.
  6. Go with the clear winner, or do another internal discussion on the top 2-3 winners from the survey.
If you are really disciplined you can replace step 3 with step 5. :)

Naming is hard because there is very often a valid reason not to go with a given name. In the end, I think the best you can do is avoid all legal pitfalls and showstoppingly inappropriate associations. Like for a medical device "Revenant" would be an absolute no-go. For a cool hi-fi speaker, perhaps it's fine. In the end, the customer is the judge, jury and executioner for names.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@kemmler3D Thanks for those reflections, will absolutely consider. With regards to how "inappropriate" the naming is, I've actually considered a number of somewhat darker names, one of the reasons being that in my (I guess subjective) opinion, our speakers are quite good at triggering the emotional aspect of music, possibly due the focus on soundstage and envelopment. And even though happy is of course also a feeling, it is often the more melancholic and sad music that hits us the hardest. So I'm looking a bit for a name that can somehow convey that, and/or trigger emotions of some kind.

I also think that an active floorstander with triple powerful 8" drivers can be quite intimidating both for the customers (in a good way) and the competition (not so much), so .. at the same time it's a fine line between a somewhat agressive name and something that's just cheeky or vulgar, so as you say - difficult.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@kemmler3D Thanks for those reflections, will absolutely consider. With regards to how "inappropriate" the naming is, I've actually considered a number of somewhat darker names, one of the reasons being that in my (I guess subjective) opinion, our speakers are quite good at triggering the emotional aspect of music, possibly due the focus on soundstage and envelopment. And even though happy is of course also a feeling, it is often the more melancholic and sad music that hits us the hardest. So I'm looking a bit for a name that can somehow convey that, and/or trigger emotions of some kind.

I also think that an active floorstander with triple powerful 8" drivers can be quite intimidating both for the customers (in a good way) and the competition (not so much), so .. at the same time it's a fine line between a somewhat agressive name and something that's just cheeky or vulgar, so as you say - difficult.
Definitely tricky to get right but worth some effort to stand out from the crowd. The temptation to give up and go with Letter-Number (e.g. E10) naming can get pretty strong.

A little off the wall ... but if you're still thinking, disc golf discs actually have some pretty colorful names that tend towards themes of power. Might serve as inspo, and you can confidently steal names from that space since the TMs don't overlap. ;)

I am not sure if there is a "Revenant" disc but there are "Reapers" and "Wraiths" and "Shrikes" and all sorts of somewhat dark ideas out there...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Reanimator may be speakers for listening to only dead artist ;)
Should call it the Lazarus, then. :p

Funny aside… my dad worked in defense back in the day as an EE designing military aircraft. At a certain point, the government required that the manufacturers stop using supernatural names for plane designs after Phantom, Banshee, Voodoo, Specter…

*shrugs

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Should call it the Lazarus, then. :p

Funny aside… my dad worked in defense back in the day as an EE designing military aircraft. At a certain point, the government required that the manufacturers stop using supernatural names for plane designs after Phantom, Banshee, Voodoo, Specter…

*shrugs

Well if the government wants us to stop we're definitely doing it! :D

Top Bottom