• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DL200 the best ever value DAC/AMP?

Nutul

the advantage is incredibly simple:
you don't need any USB drivers..

USB is such a fucked-up connection that I refuse to use it whenever there are alternatives.

Optical allows me to connect my Motherboard to the DL200 without ANY issues whatsoever. No driver needed, no connection issues, nothing.

Everyone who has reported issues with SMSL devices has been using a USB connection. It's very apparent that it's simply the WRONG way to connect these devices.

that's very fancy, I suppose.. Although, optical does 24bit/192kHz max
Of course, it doesn't matter at all, since nobody can hear anything beyond 44kHz sampling rate anyways..
I think you lack some knowledge about how the digital connections work.
USB is a data transfer interface, and as such transfers data. If there is something wrong with it, then it is its implementation on a device.
You can, of course, refuse to use it, but what I don't allow you to do is call "fucked-up" one of the best inventions in computer interfacing.

MbphotoX

Ok. That's confusing since the website states "4.4mm balanced headphone jack on the front panel".
the website only states that there's a 4.4mm balanced headphone jack on the front, NOT that the amplifier actually outputs a balanced signal.
The website clearly states that both the 4.4mm and 6.3mm get the same signal strength (voltage), thus erasing any doubt about the output being balanced.

It does state "balanced line output on the back", which clearly indicates that the TRS sockets on the back are balanced and meant for devices such as studio monitor speakers.

I think you lack some knowledge about how the digital connections work.
USB is a data transfer interface, and as such transfers data. If there is something wrong with it, then it is its implementation on a device.
You can, of course, refuse to use it, but what I don't allow you to do is call "fucked-up" one of the best inventions in computer interfacing.

USB is a data transfer interface, right. And it relies on device drivers that are installed on the connected device, such as a Windows computer.
You cannot possibly even begin to imagine how fucking many issues I've had with the umpteen iterations of USB we've had in the past 20+ years.
Issue over issue over issue...

Sure, blame the device manufacturer for failing to provide a USB port that works flawlessly with the hundreds of thousands of different combinations available to Windows users..

But there is honestly not a single reason why anyone should use a USB connection to feed a simple DAC.. there's no need for "data feedback" from the Device to the computer.

Eron

Hello everyone. Just ordered the DL200 on Hi-fi express. I've read pretty much all of the 47 pages to this post. What is the general consensus now on how this thing sounds?

I plan to replace my Modi 3e to a pair of A07 Max's / Wharfedale Lintons.. I wonder if this thing can best the Modi?

hifime

But there is honestly not a single reason why anyone should use a USB connection to feed a simple DAC.. there's no need for "data feedback" from the Device to the computer.
Some dacs do allow simple control like play/pause next/prev. This one could've easily done that since it comes with a remote. But as said elsewhere SMSL seems to care only about measurements, not useability or other niceties.

MbphotoX

Hello everyone. Just ordered the DL200 on Hi-fi express. I've read pretty much all of the 47 pages to this post. What is the general consensus now on how this thing sounds?

I plan to replace my Modi 3e to a pair of A07 Max's / Wharfedale Lintons.. I wonder if this thing can best the Modi?
It sounds transparent... as it should!

If your DAC or AMP has a sound of its own, it's defective or very low quality/the amp cannot provide enough power for the transducer

wfujay

Mine always shows a "48" on the screen when I power the device on when the "200" model goes away. Does anyone know what this signifies?

hifime

Mine always shows a "48" on the screen when I power the device on when the "200" model goes away. Does anyone know what this signifies?
sampling rate. Either your media are all 48kHz or your player / OS is resampling everything to 48kHz

MbphotoX

Must be OS because I only use Spotify.
from your computer?

change the audio settings, bc the computer is oversampling the output.

Spotify should be 44.1 bc it cannot go any higher, iirc.. (they don't have lossless hi-res, nor even CD quality)

Eron

Most PC users will see whatever bitrate the sound settings are set to unless the application has exclusive access to the sound device.

the website only states that there's a 4.4mm balanced headphone jack on the front, NOT that the amplifier actually outputs a balanced signal.
The website clearly states that both the 4.4mm and 6.3mm get the same signal strength (voltage), thus erasing any doubt about the output being balanced.

It does state "balanced line output on the back", which clearly indicates that the TRS sockets on the back are balanced and meant for devices such as studio monitor speakers.

USB is a data transfer interface, right. And it relies on device drivers that are installed on the connected device, such as a Windows computer.
You cannot possibly even begin to imagine how fucking many issues I've had with the umpteen iterations of USB we've had in the past 20+ years.
Issue over issue over issue...

Sure, blame the device manufacturer for failing to provide a USB port that works flawlessly with the hundreds of thousands of different combinations available to Windows users..

Balanced is balanced but are they differential? Unless you need to walk around the house just use the jacks as they are.

MbphotoX

Balanced is balanced but are they differential? Unless you need to walk around the house just use the jacks as they are.
not sure what you mean with this..

"Balanced audio uses three conductors to carry the audio signal. Two of the conductors carry negative and positive signals (audio is an AC signal), and the third is used for grounding. With an unbalanced signal, there are only two conductors. One carries positive, the carries negative and is also used for ground."

the headphone output on the DL200 is NOT balanced, though. It carries an unbalanced signal that works with the 4,4mm plug of a balanced headphone cable.

The TRS on the back, however, IS balanced, with separate grounding. Those are not for headphones.. so, unless you lug your studio monitors around your house while listening to music, I don't know where you're going with that reply?! :D

not sure what you mean with this..

"Balanced audio uses three conductors to carry the audio signal. Two of the conductors carry negative and positive signals (audio is an AC signal), and the third is used for grounding. With an unbalanced signal, there are only two conductors. One carries positive, the carries negative and is also used for ground."

the headphone output on the DL200 is NOT balanced, though. It carries an unbalanced signal that works with the 4,4mm plug of a balanced headphone cable.

The TRS on the back, however, IS balanced, with separate grounding. Those are not for headphones.. so, unless you lug your studio monitors around your house while listening to music, I don't know where you're going with that reply?! :D
This is easier than me typing.

wfujay

from your computer?

change the audio settings, bc the computer is oversampling the output.

Spotify should be 44.1 bc it cannot go any higher, iirc.. (they don't have lossless hi-res, nor even CD quality)

This is what my sound properties are set to in Windows. Should I enable "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"? I disabled that a day or two ago and now the DL200 always shows 44.1 at bootup instead of 48.

1714353334095.png

Eron

This is what my sound properties are set to in Windows. Should I enable "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"? I disabled that a day or two ago and now the DL200 always shows 44.1 at bootup instead of 48.

View attachment 366542
In my opinion, I think you should allow app's to take exclusive control. When I do this with MPC-HC this improves my sound dramatically. You need to configure the app to use Exclusive access. It allows my DAC I think to do the work at the intended bitrate. Don't think spotify has an option to use exclusive access, but Foobar and other players do.

1714354229796.png

The windows volume control becomes useless however and you need to use the APP using the exclusive access to control the volume. Or your preamp.

wfujay

In my opinion, I think you should allow app's to take exclusive control. When I do this with MPC-HC this improves my sound dramatically. You need to configure the app to use Exclusive access. It allows my DAC I think to do the work at the intended bitrate. Don't think spotify has an option to use exclusive access, but Foobar and other players do.

View attachment 366544

The windows volume control becomes useless however and you need to use the APP using the exclusive access to control the volume. Or your preamp.
Got it. Playing a flac file in MPC-HC now but with K-lite codec pack and these are my output options. I have a "DirectSound" option for my DAC and a non-DirectSound option. And then in the Audio Renderer section I can choose exclusive mode only when "SaneAR Audio Renderer" is enabled. I guess this is what I should choose along with SaneAR Audio Renderer in the Output section? How can you tell if the DAC is playing the file at the intended bitrate?

1714355889578.png
1714355914001.png

hifime

Got it. Playing a flac file in MPC-HC now but with K-lite codec pack and these are my output options. I have a "DirectSound" option for my DAC and a non-DirectSound option. And then in the Audio Renderer section I can choose exclusive mode only when "SaneAR Audio Renderer" is enabled. I guess this is what I should choose along with SaneAR Audio Renderer in the Output section? How can you tell if the DAC is playing the file at the intended bitrate?
Yes, that looks like it. To know for sure, you'd have to play files with different bitrates, e.g., one with 44.1khz and one with 48khz and see if the DAC reports the correct bitrate.

Btw, MPC-HC is good for movies but not the best for audio. You may want to look into foobar2000 or musicbee.

Top Bottom