• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Or as some of the high end writers here would say "Spkrdctr, you idiot"! :)
Well, there is a place for both. It depends on if you actually want to have an argument, or not… your example is clearly of the latter form ;)

beeface

Lavardin market their amps as having reduced "memory distortion", something that even to a layman like me sounds made up.

They describe this effect here http://www.lavardin.com/lavardin-techE.html
And published a paper presented at an AES convention in 1996: http://www.lavardin.com/aes-E.html

I wonder how that paper was received by their peers at the time? It sure is interesting that there's been seemingly no other progress made in this area in the last quarter century.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lavardin market their amps as having reduced "memory distortion", something that even to a layman like me sounds made up.

And published a paper presented at an AES convention in 1996: http://www.lavardin.com/aes-E.html

I wonder how that paper was received by their peers at the time? It sure is interesting that there's been seemingly no other progress made in this area in the last quarter century.
Gobbledygook. I mean, so far ahead of their time, the world still hasn't caught up!

D

Deleted member 21219

If you think wealth and intelligence correlate, you either aren’t paying attention or your sample size is too small.

1665026578914.jpeg

Jim Taylor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is a classic tactic .

Invent a “problem” then for a slight fee $$$ kindly offer a solution that only you have :rolleyes:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

This once again shows what kind of an organization AES is :facepalm:. How on earth can they accept this kind of nonsense? The actual paper can de found here:

http://www.lavardin.com/aes-E.html
I wonder how that paper was received by their peers at the time?
Think about who the peers are at AES? They are industry people, many out to sell anything they can get away with. It’s in their interest to promote this kind of stuff. Next time it could be them promising the next paradigm shift in audio technology…

Last edited:

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I brought this up quite awhile ago and I had many ASR faithful jump on me as being a lowlife scumbag for even mentioning that it could be a mental condition or illness. They were of the opinion that extreme stupidity is not a mental illness. I disagree, but I dropped the subject as it was me talking to many ASR peeps, and I was shouted out of the room. I still believe that extreme stupidity and belief in anti-science is some kind of mental condition but I don't dare bring it up. You on the other hand touched the third rail on the subway line and will probably do much better than I did. Good Luck! :)
It seems a bit excessive to label others with "extreme stupidity." Ignorance yes, but that's quite different than stupidity. And perhaps the larger point is being missed, that this is really not about the legitimacy of the products, it is about the marketing. The marketing of these "snake oil" products must be very, very good because evidence indicates it works. In the "good old days" they called it propaganda, now they call it marketing, but it's the same thing. They are successfully manipulating potential buyers by creating an emotional connection with these products. Any psychologist will tell you that in a contest between emotions and intellect, emotions almost always win. Give credit where it's due, to the marketers.

noiseangel

It seems a bit excessive to label others with "extreme stupidity." Ignorance yes, but that's quite different than stupidity. And perhaps the larger point is being missed, that this is really not about the legitimacy of the products, it is about the marketing. The marketing of these "snake oil" products must be very, very good because evidence indicates it works. In the "good old days" they called it propaganda, now they call it marketing, but it's the same thing. They are successfully manipulating potential buyers by creating an emotional connection with these products. Any psychologist will tell you that in a contest between emotions and intellect, emotions almost always win. Give credit where it's due, to the marketers.
Marriage comes to mind.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I brought this up quite awhile ago and I had many ASR faithful jump on me as being a lowlife scumbag for even mentioning that it could be a mental condition or illness. They were of the opinion that extreme stupidity is not a mental illness. I disagree, but I dropped the subject as it was me talking to many ASR peeps, and I was shouted out of the room. I still believe that extreme stupidity and belief in anti-science is some kind of mental condition but I don't dare bring it up. You on the other hand touched the third rail on the subway line and will probably do much better than I did. Good Luck! :)

I think the most common definition of mental illness is having an atypical brain function inhibiting normal functionality. I'd argue that extreme stupidity is a very typical brain function and that most of our society is designed to accommodate its level of functionality. So, in that sense it's not a mental illness ;)

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm just too much of a mediator to accept it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It’s mostly FOMO stoked by the magazine gurus. If they say it sounds wonderful than you must be defective if you don’t hear it, so you buy it and try to hear it.
That' hitting the nail right on the head !!!

sq225917

Major Contributor
People like to belong to a group, if the price of entry is an expensive cable and that gives them entry to a group who share their hobby but doesn't just let just any riff raff in then its a small price to pay to join the club. Its a badge of honour, they don't really care if it does make an audible difference if they did they'd religiously blind test everything.

mansr

Major Contributor
It’s mostly FOMO stoked by the magazine gurus. If they say it sounds wonderful than you must be defective if you don’t hear it, so you buy it and try to hear it.
And that's when the vestimenta imperatoris effect sets in.

mansr

Major Contributor

There is a tiny grain of truth there in that most physical systems are not truly time-invariant. The rest is hogwash of the finest quality.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I think the most common definition of mental illness is having an atypical brain function inhibiting normal functionality. I'd argue that extreme stupidity is a very typical brain function and that most of our society is designed to accommodate its level of functionality. So, in that sense it's not a mental illness ;)

But yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm just too much of a mediator to accept it.
Technically you are correct.
I was thinking in general terms. Most audiophools are anti-science. So when they declare a piece of wood sitting by itself generates enough of an electrical signal of some type that it will change the sound of your system, what is there to say? That kind of talk gets the broad brush of stupidity, possibly incorrect brain function or maybe they were just dropped on their head as a baby. We have no way to know. But making outrageous claims (lies) from marketers is the scam effect. Believing those lies that are extremally anti-science is where I pull my broad brush out of my back pocket and say, they are dumber than a rock. Now I am not diagnosing them for the medical community, I am just stating that to most people they are nuts in their beliefs. I guess my example is this, say you are on your front porch and a guy starts shooting at you from the street. I yell "hey, that idiot is shooting at you". At that time with my broad brush I'm fairly correct, he could technically be shooting in the general direction. My wonderful ASR engineers want to know Why is he shooting? What gun is he using? Which ammunition? Has he hit anything of importance? Where I was just yelling, that idiot is shooting at you! So I am broad brush with just the basics of the shooting, but later on there are factors that can mitigate the perceived level of malice. Like I always say, ASR members keep me on my toes and constantly check me on my brushing technique. It still allows me to broad brush, but they keep me from going to far and going off the rails. Man, I like ASR. Where else can we have great conversations without massive name calling? This place is still the bees knees.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I read Spkrdctr's posts. He's no idiot.
I read him as well... but saying he's not one, is not saying much.:facepalm:
Thank you sir! It takes a lot to get a compliment around here. I will now feel great the rest of the day. :)
You are lucky @Spkrdctr is humble enough to thank you.
I would venture to guess that even saying "He's no idiot-savant" would be an insult!

Top Bottom