• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
On the other hand, hospital jacks/plugs make a lot of sense to me.
And in that same vein, if you can swing it, it's nice to have circuits with colored outlets dedicated to a certain purpose. It's not uncommon for studios to have audio-equipment-only circuits designated by outlet color.

emergency-backup-power-hospital-outlet.jpg

How I wish performance venues would switch to hospital grade outlets. It's not a good situation when I have to gaff tape plugs into stage jacks that have been loose for the last decade.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And in that same vein, if you can swing it, it's nice to have circuits with colored outlets dedicated to a certain purpose. It's not uncommon for studios to have audio-equipment-only circuits designated by outlet color.

emergency-backup-power-hospital-outlet.jpg

How I wish performance venues would switch to hospital grade outlets. It's not a good situation when I have to gaff tape plugs into stage jacks that have been loose for the last decade.
Heh, I spec'd those for the hifi room here when the house was built. I felt kind of affirmed when the interior design consultant we had helping us (we needed help, believe you me!) loved the orange. :)

thoebe by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

mansr

Major Contributor
It's also common to have dedicated circuits just to avoid a broken lamp or whatever blowing a fuse and taking critical things down with it. You'll often find a socket labelled "cleaner's outlet" or similar in data centres, for instance.

That's a problem unheard of here in the UK. We have _proper_ plugs.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, let's start from scratch:

I'm looking for audiophile bricks and audiophile mortar ...

Robin L

Master Contributor
D

Deleted member 4708

Lack of education is expensive, a lot more so than the education itself. This (worthless audio stuff that's expensive) is just one example. I appreciate the effort sites like this are making to educate the public.

simplex

Looking to upgrade Tchaikovsky's 1812?
At the moment, I don't own an 1812 album. But should I buy one, I'd surely place a cannon instead of a sub between my two Tannoys!

welsh

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, a musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?
If you’re old-school, I recommend mescaline or LSD 25. Or just get very, very drunk.

welsh

Of course you will hear the difference only using this $250,000 system.
But you will never experience this difference using a cheap Topping or Jds Labs Atom.
So do not buy this power cord if you have these.
You’re joking right... right?

Robin L

Master Contributor
If you’re old-school, I recommend mescaline or LSD 25. Or just get very, very drunk.
Psilocybin tea is remarkably effective.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who wants your cheap ass power $3500 cables when they can have this? https://www.thecableco.com/sukhavati-power-cable.html
$22,500 and a fancy plug will cost you extra.

And if you don' want to skimp on speaker cables https://www.thecableco.com/triple-crown-speaker-cable-pair.html $65,000.
I love the marketing blurb, it’s like they are directly telling the buyer what an absolute moron they are, but in a way that acknowledges that the act of buying such a cable is beyond irony, but that the buyer is quite unaware. A bit like Banksy.

Top Bottom